ISN'T IT TIME FOR ALL HOTELS TO START INCLUDING ELECTRIC VEHICLE CHARGING STATIONS?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The HPWC set to 15A is twice as efficacious as the UMC with the NEMA 5-15 adapter because it sends 240V to the car whereas the UMC only sends 120V. A NEMA 6 - 15R is wired for 240 V so if you plug the UMC with the proper adapter into one of those you will get the same performance as with the HPWC set to 15A
This is like the logical equivalent of “penny wise and dollar poor”

You are again arguing points which are irrelevant.

115 Volts is worthless to most travelers. That is all people who are driving their cars give a damn about.
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Not arguing anything. Just pointing out the errors in your previous post.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
120 volt outlets are barely adequate for home use. If you are on the road they are nearly pointless. You get roughly 4 miles per hour. So a 10 hour overnight gets you 40 miles and you still need a Supercharger stop
Depends on the EV. Mine gets 17 miles an hour. Remember a hotel stop is from eight to forty-eight hours, so the L1s wouldn't be useless, especially for a resort. And EV drivers aren't always going to be able to roll in on empty.

Every light-pole built before a decade ago can probably support an additional L1 without new wiring. That sort of thing would be useful.

Literally you've arguing.

-Crissa

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
I have never used anything more powerful than 11 kW charger in 4 years.

I could (if Chademo chargers actually worked when I got to them), but I have not.

I agree with Crissa, overnight, even for Tesla's cars, 10 hours of trickle charge is still better than nothing, and for smaller and/or more efficient EVs, it would be a huge difference (motorcycles, Arcimotos, Aptera, etc).

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
L1s are no replacement for L2s, definitely. But they're not completely useless.

They're enough power to pre-condition or climate control an EV's battery in inclement weather. No BEV owner should forget that!

-Crissa

Quicksilver

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
At some point in time (Come on Elon get the damn CT's built) I'll have to worry about charging when I go on a road trip.
I'm the type of person that fills the tank up when I get down to 1/4 and will prob do so when my charge meter tells me I have 1/4 charge left. That's just the "be prepared" type I am.
My preference would be to find a motel near a supercharger, top off and then hit the motel and not have to worry about it before leaving the following morning.
On thing I have not seen addressed is the security of some charging stations. I live near a small town in NE Alabama with the typical property crimes that occur when you have a sub-culture of people who self-medicate with the chemical of their choice. They require funds for their habit.
There are also the terminally lazy and stupid criminal element that will never work an honest job to support themselves.
Are the chargers (no matter who makes or installs them) going to be a tempting target for copper thieves? Will there be power in the charging cable prior to plugging it into a vehicle.
More than one copper thief has ended up as a "crispy critter" due to cutting into a hot wire.
Depending on where you are located (or end up if you are road tripping) there may be chargers that are out of service due to crime.
Anyone else giving that any thought?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
You could have just said: 15 amps at 220 volts is twice the wattage.

One sentence. Zero babble.

You said the same thing but made it dammed near illegible with needles jargon and bloviating.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
You use terms that you don't understand and sloppy English so that when you speak of efficacy I don't know whether you really mean efficacy or efficiency. It is better, thus, for me to be precise in my answers not to mention that the real goal here is education of the rest of the group at large. You probably aren't the only one unfamiliar with some of these concepts.

Note that the EVSE (be it HPWC, UMC or a Mamba) is all virtually 100% efficient but that the actual charger in the car appears, from simple experiment, to be somewhat less efficient at 120V than at 240. Thus it is less efficacious both because of the lower voltage and lower efficiency.

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
At some point in time (Come on Elon get the damn CT's built) I'll have to worry about charging when I go on a road trip.
I'm the type of person that fills the tank up when I get down to 1/4 and will prob do so when my charge meter tells me I have 1/4 charge left.
You will quickly develop a pattern that you are comfortable with. The typical Tesla road tripper seems to leavve with an idea as to where he is going to charge, charge to 85% (or even more in some cases) and set out for the first charging stop. The calculus of battery, bladder and belly usually means 2-3 hrs driving and thus arrival with 20 to 40% battery remainining. Work some prospective trips with ABRP to get an idea as to how it goes. Most then charge to take on enough to get them to the next charging stop with comfortable margin (more than 20%), rinse and repeat. If an overnight stop is involved that doesn't necessarily change things. You can stop at a hotel/motel at a Supercharger or one half way in between SCs. Do keep in mind that you'll lose a percent or 2 to phantom drain overnight. There are enough SC out there now in most parts of the country that it isn't really necessary to look for a hotel close to a charger any more than you would particularly look for one close to a gas station if driving ICE.

Examples: We charge in Kingston NY, stop in Bennington Vt and charge next morning in Brattleboro. There's a good bagle shop right next to the Brattleboro charger. There's also a great taco joint right next to the CHAdeMO charger in Bennington. We go to the taco place but don't charge at the charger. Why? SC are free.
On another route we stay in Moosic, PA at a hotel right near a big shopping center with a SC right in front of a restaurant we like. Coming in in the evening the SC is deserted so we can have a leisurely dinner without having to worry about idle fees.

These are the particulars that we have found work well for us on particular trips we take frequently. You will do the same. It really isn't that much different from ICE.

That's just the "be prepared" type I am.
Always have alternate charging in your back pocket. If a SuperCharger is down, there isn't another one right around the corner. The CHAdeMO in Bennington is an example of a back pocket charging opportunity.

My preference would be to find a motel near a supercharger, top off and then hit the motel and not have to worry about it before leaving the following morning.
Sure. That used to be my practice. But I came to appreciate that you really have almost as much flexibility with BEV as with ICE. When people ask me "Yes, but don't you have to....?" my answer is "No, it's pretty much the same as with ICE..."

Are the chargers (no matter who makes or installs them) going to be a tempting target for copper thieves? Will there be power in the charging cable prior to plugging it into a vehicle.
More than one copper thief has ended up as a "crispy critter" due to cutting into a hot wire.
Depending on where you are located (or end up if you are road tripping) there may be chargers that are out of service due to crime.
Anyone else giving that any thought?
Yes, Tesla SC have had their cables cut but I think the motive has been vandalism rather than theft of the copper. I have never arrived at a SC where the cables have been cut or stolen but I have arrived at ones where terminals have been knocked over by, presumably, inept drivers.

No, the cable/connector must be de-energized unless connected and locked to a car. This is the function of the "proximity" circuit.

Many SC are in a remote part of a parking lot e.g. out behind the Price Chopper in Lebanon, NH. Malfactors attack single women in such places that don't have SC. I don't see why they wouldn't do so at ones that do.

Last edited:

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
I assume that if any Tesla’s are present, the sentry mode footage might deter would be thieves… or maybe not!
Sponsored