Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
It's not like the only solar generator ever. But I like how this one isn't floppy.

Okay, so we need a way to be able to mount it and get power into the battery right? But they claim just shy of 5kwh per day best case scenario.

This could be the perfect way to do some extended camping and not need to use up storage on a battery pack.

I'm imagining either using it to offset power used for camping, or if you choose to use power another way (or no power) for your campsite. It can help you get some range back after driving to your campsite

My poor math says 5kwh should be like 10ish miles per day.

This is just a concept but it's fun to think about.

https://www.theverge.com/2024/1/6/24027729/jackerys-rooftop-tent-solar-generator-ces-concept-date

Edit: the video actually says 6kwh max per day. So my estimates are slightly low
Sponsored

Space monkey

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fat Cat
Occupation
Philosopher
Country flag
I think a few of us posted this around the same time lol. I really like the concept! Iā€™m not sure if it is a complete roof top tent or mounts to a roof top tent. It looks like different widths through the video.

thedownwardmachine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 MSP, stalks ftw
Country flag
It says up to 6kWh. With the ā€œgeneratorā€ (battery) in the photo, I think they mean that. KWh is amount of power (not energy), so about 12mi in that. Optimally youā€™d leave the generator at home, though it might be needed as an interface between the solar and the Tesla mobile charger.

The real question is what amount of power (not energy) that solar array can provide. Solar tends to vary a lot by day, weather, and latitude, but if you could get 1kW over six hours, that 6kWh would be 12mi or more than enough to keep appliances and HVAC going for the day, Iā€™d think.

OP
OP
Gurule92

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
It says up to 6kWh. With the ā€œgeneratorā€ (battery) in the photo, I think they mean that. KWh is amount of power (not energy), so about 12mi in that. Optimally youā€™d leave the generator at home, though it might be needed as an interface between the solar and the Tesla mobile charger.

The real question is what amount of power (not energy) that solar array can provide. Solar tends to vary a lot by day, weather, and latitude, but if you could get 1kW over six hours, that 6kWh would be 12mi or more than enough to keep appliances and HVAC going for the day, Iā€™d think.
The article says 1kw.

The generator is the panel array. It's a weird way to use it but that is the intention. The power station is the battery

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
The article says 1kw.

The generator is the panel array. It's a weird way to use it but that is the intention. The power station is the battery
Most of the battery pack folks that I've seen call the battery a generator. And more specifically a battery with an inverter becomes the equivalent of a generator.

It's interesting, it appears in social media and press releases well.

Well, but, it's barely any energy. And if compared to some other Jackery products, expensive.

OP
OP
Gurule92

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
Most of the battery pack folks that I've seen call the battery a generator. And more specifically a battery with an inverter becomes the equivalent of a generator.

It's interesting, it appears in social media and press releases well.

Well, but, it's barely any energy. And if compared to some other Jackery products, expensive.
I guess realistically, you would need all of it together to be useful. So maybe they mean the whole of the parts and then also talk about the parts individually? Lol idk.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
I guess realistically, you would need all of it together to be useful. So maybe they mean the whole of the parts and then also talk about the parts individually? Lol idk.
You don't really need the battery, you are charging the battery. But then again, you do need the battery, because the truck can't accept a varying amount of current. That's because you have to charge the truck on AC.

And my guess is that it would be well north of $5k.

OP
OP
Gurule92

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
You don't really need the battery, you are charging the battery. But then again, you do need the battery, because the truck can't accept a varying amount of current. That's because you have to charge the truck on AC.

And my guess is that it would be well north of $5k.
Maybe you can get it without the tent

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag

Probably just a type-o, but kW is used to measure momentary power, and kWh is used to measure power over time which is energy.

The amount of energy produced over the day will also depend on where you park and how the vehicle is oriented. Parking in the sun is best for solar input but also heats the vehicle and cabin, but parking in the shade reduces solar input.

Ideally the whole vehicle would be shaded with solar.

Aces-Truck

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Prius
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Ideally the whole vehicle would be shaded with solar.
I agree. I've seen several videos about outlanders. None of them want their "home" to be baking hot. So rooftop solar panels, while convenient, cause some problems. A better solution, if you're camping at one spot for a while, is park rig in shade while deploying a foldup solar panel(s) close by.

I have two 200W panels to go with my Jackery. So I could get about 350W power during good sun exposure. So maybe put 10 miles into a CT in a day with 6+ hours of good sunlight.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I agree. I've seen several videos about outlanders. None of them want their "home" to be baking hot. So rooftop solar panels, while convenient, cause some problems. A better solution, if you're camping at one spot for a while, is park rig in shade while deploying a foldup solar panel(s) close by.

I have two 200W panels to go with my Jackery. So I could get about 350W power during good sun exposure. So maybe put 10 miles into a CT in a day with 6+ hours of good sunlight.
"If" you were really that desperate for range, the trick would be to simply go slower. At 15mph you can get the CT 123kWh pack to go 1000miles, and it will go further than a M3 because of the pack size.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
"If" you were really that desperate for range, the trick would be to simply go slower. At 15mph you can get the CT 123kWh pack to go 1000miles, and it will go further than a M3 because of the pack size.
Maybe not quite 1,000 miles. AFAIK, the range record for the Model 3 is just over 600 miles. We'll have to see just how much more power the Cybertruck needs than the Model 3 or Model Y.I'm guessing 100 watts/mi.

Yea, the point is essentially correct though. And I doubt if you are going to be doing 70 mph on the way out to your site.
Sponsored