JerryRigEverything: How far can the CYBERTRUCK tow 11,000lbs in Freezing Weather?

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1 Million Miles on ICE Toyotas, Waiting for CT
  • Banned
Not a perfect test but JRE is pretty well respected and he recently did a towing test.

Not good news for towing with the CT, but props to JRE for doing the test and I believe Our Cyber Life for loaning the vehicle for testing.

Cold weather but above freezing.
Tesla Cybertruck JerryRigEverything: How far can the CYBERTRUCK tow 11,000lbs in Freezing Weather? zimage7237

Max of about 65MPH some town, city, highway.
Tesla Cybertruck JerryRigEverything: How far can the CYBERTRUCK tow 11,000lbs in Freezing Weather? zimage7244

He had to drop down to 42 on the highway in order to not run out of battery before getting to the supercharging, getting passed by cars going much faster in this 65mph zone.

The range estimation in the truck was way off.

Vault was closed
Tesla Cybertruck JerryRigEverything: How far can the CYBERTRUCK tow 11,000lbs in Freezing Weather? zimage7239

About 10,500 lbs
Tesla Cybertruck JerryRigEverything: How far can the CYBERTRUCK tow 11,000lbs in Freezing Weather? zimage7240

He got 90 miles taking the battery from 100% to 2%
So if using a typical 80% of the battery that is a range of 72 miles when towing a heavy load

He had previously run the same tests with the rivian and F150 lightning
Cybertruck 90 miles
Rivian 100 miles
Ford F150 Lightning 130 mile
s

Acceleration 0-60 was the same for all 3 trucks

Cybertruck had significantly more road noise

Had bugs/issues with vehicle graphics
Tesla Cybertruck JerryRigEverything: How far can the CYBERTRUCK tow 11,000lbs in Freezing Weather? zimage7241

A real bummer that the CT is the 3rd place truck when it comes to towing.
Tesla Cybertruck JerryRigEverything: How far can the CYBERTRUCK tow 11,000lbs in Freezing Weather? zimage7235

Tesla Cybertruck JerryRigEverything: How far can the CYBERTRUCK tow 11,000lbs in Freezing Weather? zimage7244

Tesla Cybertruck JerryRigEverything: How far can the CYBERTRUCK tow 11,000lbs in Freezing Weather? zimage7236

Tesla Cybertruck JerryRigEverything: How far can the CYBERTRUCK tow 11,000lbs in Freezing Weather? zimage7238

Credit to ourcyberlife for loaning the truck and jerryrigeverything for the test

TLDR
Towing a heavy load with the CT you are going to get about 70-90 miles in cool weather, driving at lower speeds. Less range than the Rivian and Ford tests
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gigahorse

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
  • Banned
Correction, the vault cover was opened briefly for demonstration purposes and then closed, should have a negligible impact on the test overall.
Tesla Cybertruck JerryRigEverything: How far can the CYBERTRUCK tow 11,000lbs in Freezing Weather? zimage7242

Tesla Cybertruck JerryRigEverything: How far can the CYBERTRUCK tow 11,000lbs in Freezing Weather? zimage7243

Cyberman3000

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2022 Model S
Occupation
Network Engineer
Country flag
That sucks! I will give Tesla the benefit of the doubt and hope that this is a calibration / software problem that can be tuned after Tesla gets more driving data. So far thew Cyber truck is just a great show piece to drive to work and back.

agordon117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck foundation awd
Country flag
So, yeah, that's not what happened.

F-150 lightning test was at 72F, and he said 90% charge would net 100 miles of range. Which, if you extrapolate, would get 111 miles from 100% to 0%. Also important to note, you cannot directly compare a 37F towing test to a 72F towing test. They are not comparable at all. So, unless he redoes the f-150 test at low temps like the rivian and cybertruck, the data is just not usable in this kind of comparison. I expect to see a 30% reduction in range in a temp of 37F vs 72F in my model Y. I wouldn't apply any extrapolation to try to fit a desired result, I would just say the F-150 test was not the same, and should be excluded from the comparison.

mark555055c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Cybertruck AWD FS, 2019 Silverado Trail Boss
Country flag
So, yeah, that's not what happened.

F-150 lightning test was at 72F, and he said 90% charge would net 100 miles of range. Which, if you extrapolate, would get 111 miles from 100% to 0%. Also important to note, you cannot directly compare a 37F towing test to a 72F towing test. They are not comparable at all. So, unless he redoes the f-150 test at low temps like the rivian and cybertruck, the data is just not usable in this kind of comparison. I expect to see a 30% reduction in range in a temp of 37F vs 72F in my model Y. I wouldn't apply any extrapolation to try to fit a desired result, I would just say the F-150 test was not the same, and should be excluded from the comparison.
Get out of here with that logic. :) Oh, and don't forget, the f150 would also have all season tires and not 35" all terrains like the CT.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gigahorse

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
  • Banned
Was hoping the Cybertruck would CRUSH the competition between Rivian and Ford. Not get beat by both of them.

agordon117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Get out of here with that logic. :) Don't forget, the f150 would also have all season tires and not 35" all terrains like the CT. :D
Well, I also heard him say that it was a beast, which gets even worse range than an awd (which would likely have been the correct comparison to dual motor lightning and rivian). But, I'm not gonna nitpick that since the 2019 expectation was better range on the beast.

Seems it was actually an awd

Last edited:

agordon117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Was hoping the Cybertruck would CRUSH the competition between Rivian and Ford. Not get beat by both of them.
I agree, and I share that sentiment. But if we're going to do science, let's at least do real science. It's inconvenient that EVs get worse range in cold, yes, but it can't be ignored for the purposes of a towing test comparison.

OP
OP
Gigahorse

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I agree, and I share that sentiment. But if we're going to do science, let's at least do real science. It's inconvenient that EVs get worse range in cold, yes, but it can't be ignored for the purposes of a towing test comparison.
Agree, but the rivian test was done under almost the exact same conditions.
The fact that the Cybertruck did not CRUSH the rivian is a bummer, and the fact it lost to the rivian in real world range kinda sucks for those of us who have been passing on the rivian for 4 years waiting for the CT.

OP
OP
Gigahorse

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Well, I also heard him say that it was a beast, which gets even worse range than an awd (which would likely have been the correct comparison to dual motor lightning and rivian). But, I'm not gonna nitpick that since the 2019 expectation was better range on the beast.
The Cybertruck used in this test is an AWD from OurCyberLife not a cyberbeast

agordon117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Agree, but the rivian test was done under almost the exact same conditions.
The fact that the Cybertruck did not CRUSH the rivian is a bummer, and the fact it lost to the rivian in real world range kinda sucks for those of us who have been passing on the rivian for 4 years waiting for the CT.
I don't know how to tell you this... but it would never have "crushed" them. If you do the math, 72 miles from a 320 mile pack would only have been 112 miles on a "500 mile" pack. EV range is, unfortunately, very disconnected from reality.