SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
I feel like this question must have already been asked, but either the search is not working or it hasn't been asked.

I saw a FB post asking this same question and I didn't like the answers, so I'm hoping some different ones come up here.

I like Ford's exterior keypad entry system. I don't want to carry a key or anything else to access the vehicle. I can't take my phone into work, so using the phone as the key to access the CT doesn't work either. Ideally, I leave my keys and phone in the vehicle. I do this when I run and when I work.

Can I do this with Tesla or do I have to carry something.
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
What does the Ford do to resist brute-force attacks?

Tesla has multiple ways to do this, their most basic is an RFID card that goes in your pocket or wallet.

-Crissa

OP
OP
SpaceYooper

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
What does the Ford do to resist brute-force attacks?

Tesla has multiple ways to do this, their most basic is an RFID card that goes in your pocket or wallet.

-Crissa
No idea. Not really an issue where I work.

So I still carry a Tesla RFID card? Not ideal.
If external keypad isn't an option (I think Ford actually has a patent on that.) then how about some biometrics so I don't have to carry anything.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
No idea. Not really an issue where I work.

So I still carry a Tesla RFID card? Not ideal.
If external keypad isn't an option (I think Ford actually has a patent on that.) then how about some biometrics so I don't have to carry anything.
I read somewhere where someone fished the RFID tag out of the card and put it in something else. So you could do that. Of course, they sell fobs but I am assuming you don’t like those either. Yours is a unique situation. Perhaps you will end up with the eF-150

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I feel like this question must have already been asked, but either the search is not working or it hasn't been asked.

I saw a FB post asking this same question and I didn't like the answers, so I'm hoping some different ones come up here.

I like Ford's exterior keypad entry system. I don't want to carry a key or anything else to access the vehicle. I can't take my phone into work, so using the phone as the key to access the CT doesn't work either. Ideally, I leave my keys and phone in the vehicle. I do this when I run and when I work.

We had this thread going last summer. One other reservation holder had the exact same query. Can’t take phone to work, liked keypad idea, doesn’t want to have key, key card, etc.

Basically, you will need to use your phone or the keycard. At this time those are your options until Tesla perfects their Neural link or they make an announcement about the design that they are freakin WAY OVER DUE!

Look at this thread:
Cybertruck wishlist - options or ideas you'd like to see available?

Starts at page 21.

Last edited:

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
I read somewhere where someone fished the RFID tag out of the card and put it in something else. So you could do that. Of course, they sell fobs but I am assuming you don’t like those either. Yours is a unique situation. Perhaps you will end up with the eF-150
Just go to your vet and get an rfid chip implanted.

OP
OP
SpaceYooper

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Just go to your vet and get an rfid chip implanted.

Or integrate the RFID into a ring...ie wedding band. I like my lightweight titanium band, but I might consider a swap to RFID enabled cold rolled stainless version!

I probably would take the implant in my hand or arm though if it was an actual option...but then I'd have to worry about MRIs and other crap I don't currently have to worry about.

Yeah...I'll take the RFID ring please.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Alexa, open my Cybertruck door?
And where is the Echo located? I do like the idea that the car could recognize your voice or maybe several biometrics in combination or an audible password or ... probably on TeslaTap.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I don't want to carry a key or anything else to access the vehicle. I can't take my phone into work, so using the phone as the key to access the CT doesn't work either. Ideally, I leave my keys and phone in the vehicle. I do this when I run and when I work.

Currently with Tesla it's a fob or a key card. If you carry a credit card you should have no trouble carrying a key card.

As for the phone: encourage your employer to install a bank of "mailboxes" outside the SCIF - that's what they do at the embassies.

Frank W

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Retired Army 1975-1997
Country flag
Or integrate the RFID into a ring...ie wedding band. I like my lightweight titanium band, but I might consider a swap to RFID enabled cold rolled stainless version!

I probably would take the implant in my hand or arm though if it was an actual option...but then I'd have to worry about MRIs and other crap I don't currently have to worry about.

Yeah...I'll take the RFID ring please.
This person opted for the implant...

https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/12/...dd-video-watch-body-hacking-body-modification

OP
OP
SpaceYooper

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Currently with Tesla it's a fob or a key card. If you carry a credit card you should have no trouble carrying a key card.

As for the phone: encourage your employer to install a bank of "mailboxes" outside the SCIF - that's what they do at the embassies.
You're right. A card is easy to carry but I don't carry anything when I run.

As far as work goes. I could drop the phone in a kiosk like vending machine that uses our ID to lock the phone away and retrieve it, but that kiosk is several buildings an outdoor trip and a couple hundred yards away from my building.

I like the ring idea. Seems to be the best answer for those like me.

OP
OP
SpaceYooper

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
And where is the Echo located? I do like the idea that the car could recognize your voice or maybe several biometrics in combination or an audible password or ... probably on TeslaTap.
I've seen dealerships use a tap on the car to unlock it. I assume that is some kind of aftermarket hardware install (must be removed be the dealer when people purchase.)

This type of hardware could also be a good option assuming it works on Tesla's.