Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Let’s Put a Moratorium on Cybertruck News Until Tesla Actually Builds It

Elon Musk’s electric truck of the future is quickly becoming the next flying car
Tesla Cybertruck Let’s Put a Moratorium on Cybertruck News Until Tesla Actually Builds It tesla-electric-cybertruck

Oh, sweet Cybertruck, why do you toy with us?

BY ALEX LAUER @ALEXLAUER

We’re fast approaching the two-year anniversary of Tesla’s Cybertruck reveal. If that infamous event, when Elon Musk presented his simultaneously titillating and confounding geometric electric truck to the world, feels like it was just yesterday, we have a clue as to why.

For the last 21 months, our collective news feed has been fed a steady stream of stories about Elon Musk’s futuristic pickup. In the last 30 days alone, we’ve heard that the controversial yoke-style steering wheel currently seen on the redesigned Model S may carry over to the pickup, a new patent application suggests the windshield glass may feature futuristic laser styling, and apparently a company selling Cybertruck camper attachments has hit $80 million in preorders. To repeat: there are $80 million in preorders for a product that does not exist which will be fitted to a truck that also does not yet exist.

At the reveal, Tesla said production would begin in 2021. Delays have been rumored for a while, but the company recently confirmed them as truth: 2022 is the new goal, though a more specific date has not been nailed down. Will it ever be? After all, Musk has gone on record saying his “fallback strategy” is to build a “normal truck” if the Cybertruck doesn’t pan out.

I for one do think the Cybertruck will make it to production — it would be folly to scrap it at this point — but I’m not holding my breath for 2022, especially considering Musk has prioritized the Model Y SUV in Tesla’s new Austin factory over the pickup, and considering, well, the general history of EV trucks. What I cannot abide is the speculative Cybertruck discourse continuing at this rate unabated when, for all intents and purposes, we have no clue when this thing will actually be built.

In short, I’m calling for an immediate moratorium on all news related to the Cybertruck — that is, until we get a firm release date (as in day, date and time) or the first one comes off the production line. Whichever comes first.

Don’t worry, I haven’t made it to Jim Cramer’s level quite yet. Earlier this week the Mad Money host predicted the electric Cybertruck would be Elon Musk’s “first disaster,” calling the angular stainless-steel truck an “eyesore.” “It’s just an ugly thing,” he said, after mentioning he’s seen one in real life. He then proceeded to hold his head in his hands and chuckle in disbelief. His advice: “Go buy an F-150 [Lightning].”

It’s not that I similarly prefer the Lightning over the Cybertruck, or Ford over Tesla in general (though I do think the former is going to win the EV truck war, at least at first). It’s just that when we talk about Elon Musk’s pickup, what we’re essentially talking about is the flying car, a tantalizing idea that has captivated the minds of the masses but has until now been more fantasy than reality.

But fantasies, when they reach a certain threshold, cannot be discounted, and the Cybertruck is on the way to Chitty Chitty Bang Bang status if a fan-sourced reservation tracker is to be believed; it currently puts the number of reservations for the electric truck at 1.3 million, though we can’t verify those numbers. With an invested following like that, not to mention the dedicated Tesla fanbase drawn in by its legendary stock market runs, it’s no wonder that Cybertruck news continues to be published and gobbled up at an alarming rate.

Things don’t have to be this way. If you are a person who would like to reclaim your time in the future, go ahead and skip over any Cybertruck news you come across. I will dutifully continue to report on any vital updates out of professional obligation, but you, dear reader, should do what I cannot: live in the real world where real vehicles exist and real people drive them.

SOURCE: InsideHook
Sponsored

ricinro

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla MY, 2001 ford Sportrac
Occupation
mech design engineer-ret.
Country flag
While MY may be rolling out the door in a few months in an unfinished factory, CT will be manufactured afterwards. Building the factory is delayed, 4680 is delayed, New Gen 4 computer...
Worse case the delays are ~year or less.
But with the delays we get a better CT than we were shown a few years ago.

Kamin

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Health Physicist
Country flag
Funny thing to post on a site that I count on to provide me with any new information about the cybertruck. Staying home, working from home, and babying my 13 year old car hopefully until I can replace it with the CT is why I feed on any CT news. Just because most of it is pointless until we see a real production model is no reason not to keep up with updates. The pandemic has meant that in the last 2 years I have driven about 3000 miles total. Covid has caused delays in just about everything but is also allows me to wait it out. I come here for any facts, rumors, or just banter about the Cybertruck.

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
This author and Fred Lambert of https://electrek.co/ should get to get there and complain about Tesla's lack of PR department. Sure, no releases mean unsubstantiated internet information becomes the norm and basing your articles on that makes you look stupid but I would rather Tesla focus on Tesla's problems and not focus on solving the author(s) problems of not having content.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Let’s Put a Moratorium on Cybertruck News Until Tesla Actually Builds It

Elon Musk’s electric truck of the future is quickly becoming the next flying car
tesla-electric-cybertruck.jpg

Oh, sweet Cybertruck, why do you toy with us?

BY ALEX LAUER @ALEXLAUER

We’re fast approaching the two-year anniversary of Tesla’s Cybertruck reveal. If that infamous event, when Elon Musk presented his simultaneously titillating and confounding geometric electric truck to the world, feels like it was just yesterday, we have a clue as to why.

For the last 21 months, our collective news feed has been fed a steady stream of stories about Elon Musk’s futuristic pickup. In the last 30 days alone, we’ve heard that the controversial yoke-style steering wheel currently seen on the redesigned Model S may carry over to the pickup, a new patent application suggests the windshield glass may feature futuristic laser styling, and apparently a company selling Cybertruck camper attachments has hit $80 million in preorders. To repeat: there are $80 million in preorders for a product that does not exist which will be fitted to a truck that also does not yet exist.

At the reveal, Tesla said production would begin in 2021. Delays have been rumored for a while, but the company recently confirmed them as truth: 2022 is the new goal, though a more specific date has not been nailed down. Will it ever be? After all, Musk has gone on record saying his “fallback strategy” is to build a “normal truck” if the Cybertruck doesn’t pan out.

I for one do think the Cybertruck will make it to production — it would be folly to scrap it at this point — but I’m not holding my breath for 2022, especially considering Musk has prioritized the Model Y SUV in Tesla’s new Austin factory over the pickup, and considering, well, the general history of EV trucks. What I cannot abide is the speculative Cybertruck discourse continuing at this rate unabated when, for all intents and purposes, we have no clue when this thing will actually be built.

In short, I’m calling for an immediate moratorium on all news related to the Cybertruck — that is, until we get a firm release date (as in day, date and time) or the first one comes off the production line. Whichever comes first.

Don’t worry, I haven’t made it to Jim Cramer’s level quite yet. Earlier this week the Mad Money host predicted the electric Cybertruck would be Elon Musk’s “first disaster,” calling the angular stainless-steel truck an “eyesore.” “It’s just an ugly thing,” he said, after mentioning he’s seen one in real life. He then proceeded to hold his head in his hands and chuckle in disbelief. His advice: “Go buy an F-150 [Lightning].”

It’s not that I similarly prefer the Lightning over the Cybertruck, or Ford over Tesla in general (though I do think the former is going to win the EV truck war, at least at first). It’s just that when we talk about Elon Musk’s pickup, what we’re essentially talking about is the flying car, a tantalizing idea that has captivated the minds of the masses but has until now been more fantasy than reality.

But fantasies, when they reach a certain threshold, cannot be discounted, and the Cybertruck is on the way to Chitty Chitty Bang Bang status if a fan-sourced reservation tracker is to be believed; it currently puts the number of reservations for the electric truck at 1.3 million, though we can’t verify those numbers. With an invested following like that, not to mention the dedicated Tesla fanbase drawn in by its legendary stock market runs, it’s no wonder that Cybertruck news continues to be published and gobbled up at an alarming rate.

Things don’t have to be this way. If you are a person who would like to reclaim your time in the future, go ahead and skip over any Cybertruck news you come across. I will dutifully continue to report on any vital updates out of professional obligation, but you, dear reader, should do what I cannot: live in the real world where real vehicles exist and real people drive them.

SOURCE: InsideHook
I can see a moratorium on posts of ‘articles’ ‘written’ by bozos, but the reason we are on this site is to sing Along and hold hands and I cannot see that happening, at least for me, until said truck is in my driveway.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
the reason we are on this site is to sing Along and hold hands and I cannot see that happening, at least for me, until said truck is in my driveway.
My impression is that the reason we are here before production, is to help each other make it through. Less like singing and more like this:

Tesla Cybertruck Let’s Put a Moratorium on Cybertruck News Until Tesla Actually Builds It 1630013696700

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
I’m waiting for the unveiling of the production Cybertruck. Very few facts have been revealed regarding the truck. I predict the public reveal won’t happen until the BEV competition, the Rivian R1T, starts production MAYBE in September. Tesla may be stalling the reveal for competitive advantage reasons.

Tesla Cybertruck Let’s Put a Moratorium on Cybertruck News Until Tesla Actually Builds It 0DB6D9DC-F74F-44E7-A88A-90AA8F9C51A1

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
I’m waiting for the unveiling of the production Cybertruck. Very few facts have been revealed regarding the truck. I predict the public reveal won’t happen until the BEV competition, the Rivian R1T, starts production MAYBE in September. Tesla may be stalling the reveal for competitive advantage reasons.

0DB6D9DC-F74F-44E7-A88A-90AA8F9C51A1.jpeg
Is the scale real/accurate?
Sponsored