Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck ordered and two MB GLC
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
I just sent a tweet to @elonmusk Please make Cyber Truck orders non-refundable or give an option to do that before the end of 2022 so people with high income can get the tax credit.
Sponsored

OP
OP

PhilEsq

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
You think the tax credit will expire?

-Crissa
No, but as of Jan 1, individual tax filers with income above $75,000 would be ineligible for the credit. That cap would be $150,000 for joint filers and $112,500 for heads of household. https://www.cnbc.com/2022/08/10/inf...xtends-7500-tax-credit-for-electric-cars.html

I'm way above that. Before Jan 1, there is no income limit. Fisker is hoping that non-refundable orders placed before Jan 1 will protect buyers. I believe it will. https://insideevs.com/news/603320/fisker-ocean-us-ev-tax-credit-loophole/

Green-Mario

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
IT
Country flag
You sure you are in the right forum? Not only was your quoted income limits way off, but Tesla has not qualified for the "old" credits for years.

Tesla is not Fisker, they have sold cars. Enough cars to surpass the 200,000 "old" limit. Tesla now does qualify for the tax credit on some of their cars. As an attorney, I would expect you to know that if you "believe it will"

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Rivian R1S
Occupation
Working
Country flag
Signed a binding agreement last week with Rivian for same reason.

dtruckman

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Accura MDX Hybrid, 2005 Dodge Dakota 4X4
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I just sent a tweet to @elonmusk Please make Cyber Truck orders non-refundable or give an option to do that before the end of 2022 so people with high income can get the tax credit.
I get that by not returning the deposit may lock someone in to buying the CT but what has that got anything to do with the tax credit?

Flad11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck someday
Country flag
Maybe the middle class could use a break. Everyone else seems to be getting raises…

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
LOL, you need a time machine.

The binding agreement allows people to claim the tax credit which was available under the current/ previous plan. You are 4 years too late to participate in the tax credits from the previous plan, Teslas eligibility ran out before the Model Y was out.

Even if there were some weird way Tesla could reverse into it, you would have to sign a binding agreement with Tesla before the bill is signed into law which happened earlier today I believe.

So not just 1, but 2 time machine trips.

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
No, but as of Jan 1, individual tax filers with income above $75,000 would be ineligible for the credit. That cap would be $150,000 for joint filers and $112,500 for heads of household. https://www.cnbc.com/2022/08/10/inf...xtends-7500-tax-credit-for-electric-cars.html

I'm way above that. Before Jan 1, there is no income limit. Fisker is hoping that non-refundable orders placed before Jan 1 will protect buyers. I believe it will. https://insideevs.com/news/603320/fisker-ocean-us-ev-tax-credit-loophole/
Aside from all other responses... your quoted income limits are way off and are contradicted by your own cnbc link you sent.... 🤷‍♂️, which describes the limits correctly as:

150k single filer
300k joint filers
225k single head of household filer

Helps to read the links you send. ;)

OP
OP

PhilEsq

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
You sure you are in the right forum? Not only was your quoted income limits way off, but Tesla has not qualified for the "old" credits for years.

Tesla is not Fisker, they have sold cars. Enough cars to surpass the 200,000 "old" limit. Tesla now does qualify for the tax credit on some of their cars. As an attorney, I would expect you to know that if you "believe it will"
Take a look at the bill that was signed today. You are referring to the previous tax credit. No tax lawyer will be able to tell you that a non-refundable deposit will qualify under the new tax credit until the IRS issues a ruling or a tax court issues a decision. I do not have an LLM in tax, but I had 17 credits of tax in law school, and I believe it will qualify.

OP
OP

PhilEsq

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
Aside from all other responses... your quoted income limits are way off and are contradicted by your own cnbc link you sent.... 🤷‍♂️, which describes the limits correctly as:

150k single filer
300k joint filers
225k single head of household filer

Helps to read the links you send. ;)
You're correct. I accidentally copied the limits for used vehicles. That doesn't change my desire to make my deposit non-refundable.

OP
OP

PhilEsq

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
LOL, you need a time machine.

The binding agreement allows people to claim the tax credit which was available under the current/ previous plan. You are 4 years too late to participate in the tax credits from the previous plan, Teslas eligibility ran out before the Model Y was out.

Even if there were some weird way Tesla could reverse into it, you would have to sign a binding agreement with Tesla before the bill is signed into law which happened earlier today I believe.

So not just 1, but 2 time machine trips.
You're incorrect. Read the bill signed today

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
Tell us you make a lot of money, without TELLING us... you make a lot of money.....
Sponsored