JohnPaul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I keep thinking that there will be an aftermarket solar array that is auto deploying based on astronomical data. It will essentially come out of the vault when parked and unfold an array that covers almost the entire CT. How f-ing cool would that be. And if you used high efficiency bi-facial panels then you'd get something on the order of a 5KW system at peak irradiance. AND and it would keep our CT cool.

Perfect for boondoggling.

I can see it in the parking lot now amazing everyone who walks by. We'd probably never need to charge at home in the summer.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
What if politicians started acting on the interests of the people?
Come on, I was quoting from actual researchers who think they are on the cusp of 80% efficiency.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Busting the Shockleyy limit at reasonable cost?

Maybe the politicians will start acting in the interests of the people.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
Busting the Shockleyy limit at reasonable cost?

Maybe the politicians will start acting in the interests of the people.
Nope. She Shockley limit only applies to single plane interference. Duh.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Yes, so you will need multiple layers. This is very expensive to manufacture. You don't have to look further than Wikipedia

"The majority of tandem cells that have been produced to date use three layers, tuned to blue (on top), yellow (middle) and red (bottom). These cells require the use of semiconductors that can be tuned to specific frequencies, which has led to most of them being made of gallium arsenide (GaAs) compounds, often germanium for red, GaAs for yellow, and GaInP2 for blue. They are very expensive to produce, using techniques similar to microprocessor construction but with "chip" sizes on the scale of several centimeters. In cases where outright performance is the only consideration, these cells have become common; they are widely used in satellite applications for instance"

Last edited:

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
Yes, so you will need multiple layers. This is very expensive to manufacture.
Currently, it's even quite impossible but manufacturing techniques exist and this COULD happen quickly. More likely, it'll fall into the ether like all the other claims about solar efficiency. But, it would be neat if they figure it out!

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I spend a lot of time here trying to help people have reasonable expectations. Full self driving isn't going to let you pay for your CT via hiring out to a robo taxi service. The 500 mile range for the TriMotor does not refer to when you are towing 14,000 pounds. The TriMotor won't have four motors. The trucks won't contain water distillation apparatus and the solar tonneau option won't, on average, produce more than enough juice to add more than a couple of miles of range. Anyone who thinks otherwise is in for disappointment.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
Blue Laser LEDs were very expensive to manufacture, now they are much cheaper and more readily available... thanks Blue ray.

Microprocessor fabs are pretty common and once someone decides it will become a market, they will turn their fab to making these. Like manythings, such as EVs or good energy density batteries, once you start producing them at volume, suddenly they become economically viable.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
The method the researchers used was to use carbon nanotubes to capture the waste heat generated by solar panels. The nanotubes squeeze all the wasted thermal energy into a small spectral region which can then be turned it into electricity very efficiently. The theoretical prediction is that they can get 80 percent efficiency.

Others think they can get a two-for-one by using each incoming photon to dislodge two electrons instead of 1... it's got a ways to go but should be relatively cheap to manufacture. We'll see.

Doug McAllister

First Name
Douglas L McAllister
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The solar would be perfect for me, I live in the hottest city in the country, we get 360 days of sun. My commute to the golf course is 9 tenths of a mile, four to five hours parked at the course, I would only have to charge when going on a trip. I have total solar on my house also. My average weekly driving is about 20 miles.

CyberOwl

First Name
Ace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Foundation Series AWD, Model 3 RWD, Nissan Leaf
Occupation
Foul Owl
Country flag
My 2000 Audi A6 V8 had a solar panel for the sunroof. The only thing it did was keep the fan inside the car running for cooling. Worked like a charm and kept the interior from getting hot and cooking the plastics and leather. As a result, the vehicle aged extremely well. Made it difficult to hotbox the car though.
I would like a roll up panel with suction cups to stick inside the CT glass roof for the same effect, or maybe to run a small cooler.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
Those may be the PV panels they use for assisting farmers to grow shade crops and generate power at the same time. I would really like some scaled examples done by universities that have both engineering and agriculture departments... my home state of Indiana's Purdue University might be a good choice.
Sponsored