JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Stainless steel gets scalding hot in sunlight and its an excellent heat conductor
Getting hot over time to the touch is not the same as the amount of heat energy transferred into the body that the HVAC has to get rid of. Over time the vehicle will become heat soaked, in that a black surface will eventually heat up the internal structure of the vehicle as well. The rate of this heat increase will be proportional to the emissivity of the outside.

Black body matt is on the of the worst at 1.00 and SS is nearly half that when matt and ranges between 0.54-.63. When polished it an be as low as 0.075.

That is a big range, but black matt is by far the worst, at least 2x as bad, and as such will add twice as much heating load from sunlight from the panels of the vehicle. For cooling it is much the same, so it's only in mild climates and moderate sunlight where the effects are diminished, otherwise it is a loss.
Sponsored

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
Why do you say that?

The emissivity of the black will be less than the SS, simply because if it "looks" darker it must also absorb more light.

If it absorbs light, it absorbs energy, which in turn means that the HVAC has to compensate for it, and that uses energy which you loose fro range.

The same applies in the winter where it will be colder than the SS because black is a better radiator.

For road safety it's also probably one of the worst colours, especially at night, or parked on the side of the road.

But if you really don't want to be seen I'd get it wrapped I'd take the dark camo.
At least the energy budget will be slightly better, and you won't see all the dirt straight away.
Do not question... the SOLAR Wizard.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
Hmmm. It's pretty tight looking, but I wouldn't pay $1 for it. Factory stainless for me, thank you very much. I think in 30 years, people will still consider SS pretty avant garde, and ahead of its time.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag

Qball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Cool but I’ll stick with stainless. If anything that digital camo would be my second choice.

Crimson_Fate

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I wouldn’t pay Tesla $11K for that wrap, but I’d pay someone for it

this is the way to go, if it holds up well
They will have pre-cut color wraps you can install yourself and you don't need the expensive self healing PPF since you really don't need to protect anything

WHIZZARD OF OZ

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Up!
Occupation
Electric Wheelchair Builder
Country flag
Cool but I’ll stick with stainless. If anything that digital camo would be my second choice.
My SS CT is NON_STICK
Even a Boomerang or ROGAN Arrow won't 'STICK'