Maybe we were lied to. Cybertruck design not polarizing. Most regular people love it.

UTECHPIA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberBeast, 2023 MYP, 2007 S2000, 1998 NSX
Country flag
Do you know what an AI web bot really is and how they are used to shape public opinion?

Yeah, that's right, they aren't even real people. They are deployed cheaply, en masse, and you can't even distinguish them from real people. The Internet is overrun with them. Sure, real humans jump on the bandwagon too, because some people just need a cause against things they can't afford, but most of them are bots.
oh wow, this makes so much sense now.
my gosh.. I feel like I have wasted a huge part of my life trying to nicely reply to troll comments.
UGH... welp, I'm glad I learned now, rather than even further down the line!

Thanks for the info!
Sponsored

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
…and this is why I love the CT

Goes against the norm of what the industry says “the people want”. Not to mention it actually proves itself worthy (despite the ‘few’ flaws, overhyped persona and shortcomings.)
New car buyers have been fed the bland sameness for as long as I can remember. Sure, it gradually changes through the years so the old looks old (and must be replaced), but it's all largely the same, even under the skin. People are tired of the lack of innovation and want something that takes a fresh, first-principles approach.

I don't care too much what my truck looks like, as long as it's not trying to be something it's not. And that's just one problem I have with legacy trucks. The Cybertruck is the most genuine design out there.

Rutrow

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, CyberTruck Tri-motor reservation
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
The people who walk up to a CyberTruck are a self selected slice of the population. Without an evaluation of the number of people who see it across the parking lot without giving it a second look nor walking over to it, you/we'll never know what the overall view of it is.

I thought it looked stupid on reveal night, but I still plunked down my deposit because I respected that it was a clean sheet imagination of what an EV truck could look like without being constrained by the shape that ICE trucks had to be to fit engine, transmission, fuel tank, exhaust, and cooling in the package. I wanted a truck for towing a travel trailer and form meant nothing if the function I needed was there. As much as I thought it looked weird, I felt that if it caught on on construction sites, its looks would gain acceptance.

I accepted the angular form because of Elon's claim that it was an exoskeleton. It made sense that it practically HAD to look like that. Now that we know that isn't the case, I wish it were a more pleasing shape. I'll put up with weird if it's for a reason, but not so much just for weirdness sake.

I still have two reservations but I won't pull the trigger until there's one with reasonable towing range. If the extended battery comes to fruition I'll jump. But I'm skeptical. 😐

sylvius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberBeast FS ordered
Country flag
I think the styling is brilliant and quite attractive. It’s one of those rare vehicles that looks way more attractive in person than 2D photos and videos depict.
This is definitely true. When I ordered it over my wife's objections she mentioned that I ordered it in a family text chain and I was pretty roundly made fun of for ordering the ugly truck. Then my father-in-law saw it at the auto show. He's a pretty conservative guy when it comes to style and when he wrote me about it I expected him to pile on. Instead he said, "It's stunning, when do you get it?" I think it can be ugly and stunning all at once. It's also pretty remarkable how much of what we find to be beautiful or ugly is learned, shaped by society, and can change over time.

Outdoors

First Name
Outdoors
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S,3,Y,C
Sorry to whomever said it is confirmation bias.

Dope man
F**$&%g Sweet
I will ride in your truck anyday.
Insane from the future like so wow.
Jaw on ground tounge out speechless.
You mind if I selfie? I want this so bad.

Yep such confirmation bias lines. 🙄

I had one person say it was ugly. I said yeah I think so as well. One can only have two good looking things in life. Wife and dog. Man supposed to have ugly truck.

OP
OP

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
The people who walk up to a CyberTruck are a self selected slice of the population. Without an evaluation of the number of people who see it across the parking lot without giving it a second look nor walking over to it, you/we'll never know what the overall view of it is.

There is much more self selection on Tesla & Cybertruck forums than there is at Costco, Walmart, Sam's, Target, grocery stores, restaurants, any mall (that not part of auto demo/event), people walking down street.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I accepted the angular form because of Elon's claim that it was an exoskeleton. It made sense that it practically HAD to look like that. Now that we know that isn't the case, I wish it were a more pleasing shape.
Huh? Anyone who thought "exoskeleton" meant the only structure would be the stainless steel sheet metal on reveal night didn't understand what Elon was tallking about.

Apparently, many still don't.

The idea that Cybertruck is not an "exoskeleton" was popularized by people wanting to discredit Elon. They tried to position his comments to mean that the sheet metal would form the entire structure of the vehicle. Of course, he never said or envisioned that.

Rutrow

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
Huh? Anyone who thought "exoskeleton" meant the only structure would be the stainless steel sheet metal on reveal night didn't understand what Elon was tallking about.

Apparently, many still don't.

The idea that Cybertruck is not an "exoskeleton" was popularized by people wanting to discredit Elon. They tried to position his comments to mean that the sheet metal would form the entire structure of the vehicle. Of course, he never said or envisioned that.
Tesla Cybertruck Maybe we were lied to. Cybertruck design not polarizing. Most regular people love it. Screenshot 2024-03-25 at 17.13.28

Oh gawd no... Do we have to start the exoskeleton argument all over again?!?

[Do Giphy.com GIFs not work here anymore?]

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I accepted the angular form because of Elon's claim that it was an exoskeleton. It made sense that it practically HAD to look like that. Now that we know that isn't the case, I wish it were a more pleasing shape. I'll put up with weird if it's for a reason, but not so much just for weirdness sake.
Elon didn't claim the angular form was because exoskeleton. He said it was from the materials. Which is still true.

Also still true is that it's an exoskeleton. The outer shell comprises additional strength in a collision, meaning it doesn't need as much inside.

How is the most compact shape not pleasing, anyhow?

-Crissa

Rutrow

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
Tesla Cybertruck Maybe we were lied to. Cybertruck design not polarizing. Most regular people love it. Screenshot 2024-03-25 at 17.18.41

Well... just submitted the "paperwork" to allow me to jump the line with my RN11955**** (2nd reservation) CyberTruck. 😃

I've been holding off since last year on my RN11275**** (reveal night reservation) that they welcomed me to start designing, because I need at least 400 miles of non-towing range. 😐

cybguy

First Name
Pablo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Pilatus PC-12, 2016 Bolt, 2024 Forester
Occupation
Temporarily unRetired
Country flag
I think most strangers are kind enough to not insult your car in front of you. So all the positive feedback is confirmation bias.

I already have my CT and I actually think its ugly, but in a bad ass sort of way. Like a military truck. Its the same reason people get Pugs. They are so ugly they are cute.
I agree with you accept with my feelings toward Pugs.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Oh gawd no... Do we have to start the exoskeleton argument all over again?!?
The argument was initiated when you disagreed with Elon and the engineers that designed it by matter-of-factly making the statement that it was not an exoskeleton. I'm with Elon and the engineers who did the structural analysis of the design (and then validated it with real world testing with load cells). You know very little about the specific engineering details compared those who created it.

Don't blame me for starting the exoskeleton argument because you want to swim against the current without supporting evidence. I'm not the one who made the claim it wasn't an exoskeleton, nor is it clear why you felt the need to make that odd statement.

Yet you blame me? :rolleyes: Take a look in the mirror.
Sponsored