Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model3 RWD Long Range, and soon Cybetruck tri motor
Occupation
Programmer
Country flag
I personally would rather have a metal roof rather than glass on the Cybertruck.
The glass roof is great on my M3 that stays on the road full time, but for the CT where I want to
do some rough riding it seems more likely a break or crack could happen in those instances.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

T3slaDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, RWD Cybertruck
Country flag
I'm happy with glass roof any day of the week! Not just got the cosmetic benefit of seeing things when looking up, but also for insurance reasons. My insurance provider covers ALL glass windows on my M3 including the roof under glass repair, not comprehensive.

What this means is for me to get a new glass roof costs $0 and doesn't affect my premiums in any way, shape or form (check your provider and their rules). Getting a new metal roof though, that would be $500 deductible and counts as a comprehensive claim, so premiums are going up.

Just my 2 cents, plus like they said it's much more durable than just everyday glass. And let's not forget about the beauty that happens when the roof is wet!

EVCanuck

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ЗАЗ-968, Canyonero
Country flag
I personally would rather have a metal roof rather than glass on the Cybertruck.
The glass roof is great on my M3 that stays on the road full time, but for the CT where I want to
do some rough riding it seems more likely a break or crack could happen in those instances.

Thoughts?
If it's not a glass roof it would make a lot of sense to have solar panels instead. Structurally it would still be made out of a sheet of SS probably

EVCanuck

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ЗАЗ-968, Canyonero
Country flag
I'm happy with glass roof any day of the week! Not just got the cosmetic benefit of seeing things when looking up, but also for insurance reasons. My insurance provider covers ALL glass windows on my M3 including the roof under glass repair, not comprehensive.

What this means is for me to get a new glass roof costs $0 and doesn't affect my premiums in any way, shape or form (check your provider and their rules). Getting a new metal roof though, that would be $500 deductible and counts as a comprehensive claim, so premiums are going up.

Just my 2 cents, plus like they said it's much more durable than just everyday glass. And let's not forget about the beauty that happens when the roof is wet!
The pricing of the insurance premiums will be very wild at the begging. Until insurance providers will get a better understanding of what are the common damages on the cybertruck and how much the repairs cost.

Friday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
I'm kind of concerned about solar heat gain in the cabin with the glass roof. I frequently spend time in very hot areas of the US and it's incredible how fast interiors heat up even with traditional metal roofs. Glass is magnitudes worse for heat gain. I had a vehicle with a sunroof back in the day and it was miserable during the height of summer. If there is no option to not get a glass roof, I'm sure there will be some sort of reflective wrap that can be installed over the glass to help cut down on heat gain. People are already planning on wrapping the CT, so I'm sure there's going to be some type of hi-tech help for the roof. I know the MX has a similar heat gain issue with the wings. I've seen MX's with diy foam covers in the wings and Tesla sells a full set of window shades for the MX for about $80.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
@Friday.
I'm pretty sure all teslas already have full Glass roofs, its probably partially tinted. I never hear of tesla owners complaining of it getting hotter any faster than regular cars.

T3slaDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, RWD Cybertruck
Country flag
I'm kind of concerned about solar heat gain in the cabin with the glass roof. I frequently spend time in very hot areas of the US and it's incredible how fast interiors heat up even with traditional metal roofs. Glass is magnitudes worse for heat gain. I had a vehicle with a sunroof back in the day and it was miserable during the height of summer. If there is no option to not get a glass roof, I'm sure there will be some sort of reflective wrap that can be installed over the glass to help cut down on heat gain. People are already planning on wrapping the CT, so I'm sure there's going to be some type of hi-tech help for the roof. I know the MX has a similar heat gain issue with the wings. I've seen MX's with diy foam covers in the wings and Tesla sells a full set of window shades for the MX for about $80.
I hope this helps! Tesla roof glass is tinted with 95% full ceramic coating (part of why it rainbows in rain), which had about 15-20x the heat rejection as standard tinted windows. I live in a very hot climate and it does get a little warmer in summer, but not bad at all!

Also, keep in mind that there's a setting (on by default) that will keep the interior below 105F all the time, so worst case scenario you open the door to a 100 degree car, not 140+F. This uses about 1% extra battery over an entire day, totally worth it!! The AC in these cars cools off the interior to 70F within 1 minute from 100F cabin.

Finally, if you want to, you can buy a sun shade for the ceiling window. I have cheap 3rd party one for summers (about $20) and it helps quite a bit while driving!

Essentially, it's not nearly as bad as normal windows by any means, and there are options to make it even more comfortable if you prefer ?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Or you can buy a thick piece of reflective bubble insulation and make your own sun-shade. That's what I did for my Mazda, tho the moonroof really doesn't need it. And it's not at all as modern as Tesla glass.

-Crissa

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag

Thoughts?
The OP is concerned about the potential for breakage during off-roading. That would certainly be a valid concern but it would affect all of the glass on any off-road vehicle. Do we worry about windshields and other glass breaking on Jeeps, etc? No. If the glass breaks due to a thrown rock, we replace it as a cost of having fun. I don’t know if I have ever had a rock thrown to the roof of my Jeeps or other 4x4s but have never noticed rock-like dings on the roof. For vehicles with open cockpits have any of you been hit by flying debris? If so, at high enough velocity to tear clothing or skin, because it would do that before breaking glass. I haven’t. So that addresses the probability of such damage for any vehicle, which the OP didn’t address. That said, the armor glass is supposed to be much stronger than ordinary glass, so all windows on the CT should be better for off roading than glass on any other off-road vehicle ever made.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
The OP is concerned about the potential for breakage during off-roading. That would certainly be a valid concern but it would affect all of the glass on any off-road vehicle. Do we worry about windshields and other glass breaking on Jeeps, etc? No. If the glass breaks due to a thrown rock, we replace it as a cost of having fun. I don’t know if I have ever had a rock thrown to the roof of my Jeeps or other 4x4s but have never noticed rock-like dings on the roof. For vehicles with open cockpits have any of you been hit by flying debris? If so, at high enough velocity to tear clothing or skin, because it would do that before breaking glass. I haven’t. So that addresses the probability of such damage for any vehicle, which the OP didn’t address. That said, the armor glass is supposed to be much stronger than ordinary glass, so all windows on the CT should be better for off roading than glass on any other off-road vehicle ever made.
NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART
========================

So like in the conditions in this video at 20:35

Or possibly in cases like this (detail description at the start of this video):

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART
========================

So like in the conditions in this video at 20:35

Or possibly in cases like this (detail description at the start of this video):

If basketball-sized boulders and jeeps are falling on top of the CT I don't think that the glass cracking is going to be our problem. I note that the windshield of the Jeep in the first video is already cracked and the driver doesn't seem overly broken up about that. I get rocks thrown into my windshield that crack it even on the highway. If the armor glass can handle that without cracking I think it will cover my offroading range of use. I have spent a lot of time off road in my life and never had an issue with any of my windows cracking or breaking. If there are more extreme cases then those drivers know what they are getting into and a metal rood isn't going to fare any better than the armor glass; it will dent or tear. ABS would tear or crack. I guess I just think that we have gone way beyond the OPs concerns (with these videos).

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I cracked the window of my Civic, got some roof dings that were hefty, and I might consider a rack with a grid to catch falling gear but I don't think it's a big worry unless you're getting a loader dumping into the back frequently.

-Crissa
Sponsored