Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Honda and Komatsu Announce the Start of Joint Development of Micro Excavators Powered by Swappable Batteries
- The two companies are collaborating for the joint development of electrified micro excavators powered by swappable Mobile Power Pack batteries and the establishment of a battery-sharing system for the civil engineering and construction industry -
June 10, 2021

Corporate
TOKYO, Japan, June 10, 2021 – Honda Motor Co., Ltd. and Komatsu Ltd. today announced they have signed a basic agreement and begun joint development to electrify Komatsu micro excavators*1 using the Honda Mobile Power Pack (MPP)*2 and to strive to establish a battery-sharing system for the civil engineering and construction industry which will enable mutual use of MPPs among various types of construction machinery and equipment.

Tesla Cybertruck Micro Excavator that would probably fit in the CT bed c210610eng_01

(Prototype) Komatsu micro excavator PC01 powered by Honda Mobile Power Pack
Tesla Cybertruck Micro Excavator that would probably fit in the CT bed c210610eng_02

Honda Mobile Power Pack
The two companies have been at the forefront of the industry in taking initiative to realize products with low environmental impact. Honda has been expanding the lineup of products powered by MPPs, and Komatsu introduced a battery-powered mini excavator to the Japanese market in April 2020.
Through this joint development, the two companies will electrify the Komatsu PC01 micro excavator by equipping it with Honda MPPs and an electrified power unit (eGX). Among various construction machines Komatsu offers, the PC01 is most likely to be used for various functions at worksites near people, trees, flowers and ornamental plants, including pipe-laying, landscaping and agricultural and livestock work. The two companies will strive to introduce the electrified Komatsu PC01 before the end of the current fiscal year, ending March 31, 2022.
In addition to significantly reducing noise and exhaust heat, electrification of the micro excavator will reduce its environmental impact by realizing “zero exhaust gas emission,” which enables users to work comfortably in various indoor and outdoor work environments. Moreover, by taking advantage of the unique features of MPP as a swappable battery, the user can continue using the electrified equipment without waiting for a MPP to recharge. By powering Komatsu equipment with Honda MPPs, the two companies will strive to make energy supply easier and realize enhanced convenience for customers.
After the market introduction of the electrified micro excavator, the two companies will undertake demonstration testing of a structure to supply MPPs to civil engineering and construction sites and enhance the convenience of electrified construction machinery and equipment by offering after-sales services, including a battery swapping system.
Further down the road, the two companies will conduct joint development to electrify other micro excavator models as well as mini excavator models in the class with operating weight of up to 1 ton. Moreover, the two companies will jointly explore possibilities for MPP-based electrification of a wide range of equipment used at civil engineering and construction worksites and introducing such electrified products to markets outside Japan.
By adding a wide variety of electrified civil engineering and construction equipment to the smart power operation which already includes Honda’s electrified mobility and power products, Honda is striving to establish a broad network of MPP-based battery-sharing systems. By further pursuing zero emissions and utilization of renewable energy at the worksites of its customers, Honda will continue making contributions to the realization of a sustainable and “circular” society which strives for zero environmental impact.
Tesla Cybertruck Micro Excavator that would probably fit in the CT bed c210610eng_03

Image of a broad-ranging battery-sharing system established thorough utilization of MPP
*1 The micro excavator is a collective product name for the Komatsu PC01, PC05 and PC09 mini excavator models. The PC01 model is the world’s smallest riding excavator which can be loaded on to a minitruck (engine size of 600cc or below) and one of Komatsu’s longtime best seller products often used for various functions at worksites near people, trees, flowers and ornamental plants, including pipe-laying, landscaping and agricultural and livestock work.
*2 Honda Mobile Power Pack is a swappable battery developed by Honda. Honda has introduced multiple MPP-powered business-use two-wheeled and three-wheeled scooters as the Honda e: Business Bike Series.
Sponsored

OP
OP
FutureBoy

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
The way things are going, I think there will be a bunch of little tools like this that could each fit in the CT bed. Even if you don't put it in the bed, a heavy-duty trailer could probably carry multiple little tools like this. And the CT will be strong enough to pull a trailer with all that.

I bet there are going to be all sorts of new micro-businesses created where these tools allow people to do serious work in tight urban places.

Or if I had a large place, I could imagine putting in a construction play area where the kids get to play with toys like this far enough away from the house not to cause too much distruction.

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
While I think it's a bit unnecessary, I think it's awesome. If I was using something like a DitchWitch ( https://www.ditchwitch.com/stand-on-skid-steers/mini-skid-steers/sk600 ), would I want to go smaller? It'd probably have to be a bit of niche case though if the battery could hang, I could see it happening.

My question would be attachments. Could I run a trencher than comeback and augur? There's a couple of urban places where I can see something like this working/helping just on size and possibly price. The real question is whether it could hang for the day. A mini- on a trailer can get into most places and do the job faster than this so I think it'll be a bit of a hard sell; still, I'd seriously consider it.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I've seen little walk-behinds with variable attachments. They can go through small gates, power things, operate stuff like ditch witches and carry loads...

...But I never see them in the actual catalog of the kubota store even though I've seen them on the parent company's website. *sigh*

So dreamy.

-Crissa

OP
OP
FutureBoy

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
For me, one of the key points to this one is that it's a full EV. This should really cut down on maintenance, keep it nice and quiet while working, and make working with it simpler as you don't have to store fuel or take it to a gas station for a fill-up. Additionally, it is small enough and has no fumes so it could potentially be used inside a home for doing things like digging up and replacing a sewer line or other things below a cement slab. Since it is using standardized batteries that can be swapped out, the only limitation on how long it can be used is in how many batteries you have and can keep charged up.

I'm also interested in seeing what other hydraulic attachments it can have. Haven't found a site for that yet though.

Wait, I did find a breaker.

Here is a video of the current gas one being demonstrated in Japan.

OP
OP
FutureBoy

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I've seen little walk-behinds with variable attachments. They can go through small gates, power things, operate stuff like ditch witches and carry loads...

...But I never see them in the actual catalog of the kubota store even though I've seen them on the parent company's website. *sigh*

So dreamy.

-Crissa
It looks like Kubota does not sell these small ones here in the US.
Here is the Japanese page.

OP
OP
FutureBoy

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
For me, one of the key points to this one is that it's a full EV. This should really cut down on maintenance, keep it nice and quiet while working, and make working with it simpler as you don't have to store fuel or take it to a gas station for a fill-up. Additionally, it is small enough and has no fumes so it could potentially be used inside a home for doing things like digging up and replacing a sewer line or other things below a cement slab. Since it is using standardized batteries that can be swapped out, the only limitation on how long it can be used is in how many batteries you have and can keep charged up.

I'm also interested in seeing what other hydraulic attachments it can have. Haven't found a site for that yet though.

Wait, I did find a breaker.

Here is a video of the current gas one being demonstrated in Japan.
Here is the Japanese Kubota site with mini excavators.
Here is the mini excavator site for Japan.

Ahhh and here is the catalog.
It shows these attachments:

Tesla Cybertruck Micro Excavator that would probably fit in the CT bed Attachments

Other companies though seem to have some other attachment options. Especially if you go look on Alibaba.

Kubota attachment videos

Other Kubota videos

If you scale up to the PC05 or PC09 then there are a few other attachments available including a breaker.

OP
OP
FutureBoy

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Yeah, I know. It drive me bonkers!

Lots of contractors won't even take jobs they can't bring their tractor to.

-Crissa
Yes! This is why I think the electric ones could open up micro businesses. With less maintenance and easy hauling, a fence installer could own his own excavator, add a whole digger, and make the small jobs much quicker. Or a plumber could fix sewer pipes under concrete using the breaker to open the hole and the bucket to dig.

There is definitely pent up demand for small jobs that need to get done but most contractors won’t waste their time on. With this added efficiency and a bit higher billing, I bet one could make a viable business.

Klaxon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT
Country flag
Is there a bit smaller model for my wife's gardening?
I could finely get rid of the shovel and spade. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
FutureBoy

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
OP
OP
FutureBoy

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
One too many zeros to own as a toy. (relatively speaking)
That's where one needs to turn that zero into a hero and make the budget treat those prices as size appropriate for toys.
Sponsored