Mounting (?) Points in Cybertruck Bed Floor - Ideas?

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
A recent track video showed some unusual dark spots within the bed of the Cybertruck.

The dark spots were clearly rectangular, paired across the width of the bed, and spaced on the length of the bed at three locations:
  1. near the bulkhead
  2. ~ just behind the rear axel, and
  3. just forward of the sub-bed storage area hatch
Tesla Cybertruck Mounting (?) Points in Cybertruck Bed Floor - Ideas? ct bed spots

Rewatching the investor day prototype video, I noticed not only that these dark spots are in the locations of trim covers, of the size and type similar to those rectangular trim covers found on the top table trim of each of the sails. But also that there's also a 7th (but not 8th) such rectangular trim plate on the far driver's side of the tailgate:

Tesla Cybertruck Mounting (?) Points in Cybertruck Bed Floor - Ideas? ct bed trim

I could find no single frame of video that clearly shows the other 6 such trim pieces in the bed floor, though they're visible (as in the track photo above) in various angles.

Together, these 7 trim caps (?), 6 in pairs in the bed, the 7th on the tailgate, are evenly spaced throughout the bed about as follows:

Tesla Cybertruck Mounting (?) Points in Cybertruck Bed Floor - Ideas? ct bed

THOUGHTS ON PURPOSE?

Off the cuff, the "purpose" of these could range from:
  • benign trim covering points for factory mounting bed to casting (but tailgate?)
    • the location and spacing would be consistent with where traditional beds have their mounting bolts
    • if so, there's presumably 2 more such points 'hidden' under the storage door
  • tie-down points for customer use
  • accessory mounts
  • combos of the above
Posting the question for what may be a nothingburger, but also may have someone chime in with experience from a specific accessory, or even another manufacture that offered something similar in another truck

The one-sided trim cover in the tailgate was a to me more interesting bit, as it doesn't quite square with being a mere mounting bolt cover (on only one side), and for me the lack of info or clues on tailgate ramps has me curious about all things tailgate.

BTW, @JBee - speaking of the mounting points on the upper table of sails: i realized while drafting this that if those are in fact mounting points, they would presumably be above/into the casting, meaning the casting may be at the outermost edge of the sail volume, as opposed to the innermost edge?

Tesla Cybertruck Mounting (?) Points in Cybertruck Bed Floor - Ideas? ct sail
Sponsored

sstevens805

First Name
Shelton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DM 2021 MY & '69 Cadillac Deville Convertible
Country flag
Maybe covers for bolts to remove panels in the bed to access the rolled up bed cover below for service? Would be cool to have some sturdy mounting points

OP
OP
cvalue13

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Maybe covers for bolts to remove panels in the bed to access the rolled up bed cover below for service? Would be cool to have some sturdy mounting points
really good point RE access to tonneau well

wonder where it’s accessed

sstevens805

First Name
Shelton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DM 2021 MY & '69 Cadillac Deville Convertible
Country flag
That cover might be the only other thing that needs servicing on a tesla. Clearing out debris that sneaks in with the cover and lubricating the tracks/wheels/bearings etc. that it may have. I wonder about that but I know there are some people wayyyy smarter than me working on it. They flip rockets in the air and land them, I argue with my Google Home . . . we're not the same lol

SparkChaser

First Name
Leigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck Ticket Holder, Ford Ranger, Mini Coup
Occupation
Airline Inspector
Country flag
SS tie downs that got fulsh and maybe add a cover for aero.

Tesla Cybertruck Mounting (?) Points in Cybertruck Bed Floor - Ideas? Pop up tie down 1

Tesla Cybertruck Mounting (?) Points in Cybertruck Bed Floor - Ideas? pop up tie down 2

w24i7ll365y

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla P3D-
Occupation
Janitor
Country flag
The access point on the tailgate could be a location to manually extend or retract the built-in ramp

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
If it happens that no hardware or attachment points are in the vault/bed floor surface, we still have four handles near the floor in the front and back of each side. With these, one could fasten some custom made cross members and/or a frame with additional hardware located as desired for whatever needs to be secured to the floor area. Would take away some height inside the vault but it could work and would require no destructive modifications.

But from what's shown above by @cvalue13 at the start of this thread, and in footage provided by Ryan Zohoury of the recent sighting at the Peterson Museum, there are apparently what look to be like three attachment points each side in the floor, in front of the rear under-vault storage cover:

Tesla Cybertruck Mounting (?) Points in Cybertruck Bed Floor - Ideas? VaultFloor

If one is feeling brave or more like Brian Jenkins of i1Tesla (re: his pass-through hole in the Model 3), they could always drill some holes. But I would never recommend it even if one was pretty sure where components are underneath; because that's just way too risky IMO.

A lot can change about the vault before production, so it's possible we may see additional attachment points, places to access AC power or compressed air (if those aren't planned to be located in the frunk instead of the vault), etc. so I think some things may still be unknown at this point.

- ÆCIII
Sponsored

Last edited: