Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Up!
Occupation
Electric Wheelchair Builder
Country flag
why not? beats nothing if you are parked camping or even if its sitting in the drive for the weekend
Exactly....Agreed.
Elon originally said 15 miles with vault solar. I'll take 15 KMs with solar over cab if that becomes a 'thing'

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
Exactly....Agreed.
Elon originally said 15 miles with vault solar. I'll take 15 KMs with solar over cab if that becomes a 'thing'
I get it seems nice but in reality its just money better spend putting solar on your house or yard. Adding it to the vehicle will cost 4x as much as the above alternative thus for the same money produce 4x less energy. Plus if your vehicle doesn't need it, it would be very likely your home could use it. Also, more weight on a vehicle means less range or less efficiency. So you might gain 15 miles per day at a cost of 5 mile per day making all the above calculations even less favorable for vehicle mounted solar. I will say I totally get it for the camping situation but even then, portable options might be superior, easier to expand/upgrade as new technology emerges, more versatile and cost efficient as well. Until vehicle mounted solar is as cheap as and as light as paint its going to be a struggle for anything outside of special use cases or bragging rights. I am sure someone here can math up the payback on a 2k-3k option providing 15 miles a day and when that pay off occurs.

Last edited:

CompMaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri CT
Country flag
Is it me
Or do the mounts not line up
I am sure it is my eye..

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
The inherent slant of the roof line means existing roof racks will pretty much be out. It will require something that compensates for the slant like this:
Tesla-Cybertruck-tool-rack.jpg

Hopefully third parties will be able to have a field day with those attachments.
I bet the Tesla Accessories Team will have a nice rack. It will probably have the least impact on range compared to racks from existing rack manufacturers since Tesla has more aero expertise than all of them combined, and Tesla is the only one who has done extensive Cybertruck aerodynamic modelling, so they already know how to work the existing airflow.

I hope they have two racks, because I don't think the rack they displayed at the Texas event above is necessarily what most contractors will want.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
How many chickens long is the rack? Wide? We have to know.
Not only how many chickens long and wide, how many chickens can the rack's weight rating handle?

Ba-a-a-awk, ba-a-awk, ba-a-a-a-a-a-awk! Cock-a-doodle-doo!

Maybe we should use cocks instead of hens since Cybertruck is so brutal and masculine looking. That would be funny driving around with a bunch of full-sized cocks lashed onto your rack! This is a good way to prep them for the deep freezer if you get a cold snap late in the fall. :ROFLMAO:

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Fisker claims their solar roof will add 1500-2000 miles of range per year on the Ocean SUV.

86C8E609-A8AE-4AFA-8F41-2BA6D305A51F.jpeg
If it consumes 275 Wh/mile, 1500 miles worth would be 413 kWh per year. Around here, that would save me $41 per year. But I would have to park it in full sun all day, every day. That's not going to happen because we have trees, buildings, power lines, telephone poles, signs, clouds and parking garages. So, I would say it's more like a quarter that much if you live in a sunny climate. So, about $10 savings/year. If the solar roof is a $1000 option, then it would pay for itself in only 100 years! :cry:

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You lose about 1 mpg per 30 with an aero rack holding nothing, or about 3% of range. The more aero you start with, the bigger a hit this will be, of course.

I always take mine off when I'm not using it.
This! A roof rack is a last resort, unless you are just driving locally and range/fuel cost doesn't matter. I take the aero rack off my Model 3 and rarely use it, especially if I'm headed out of town on a longer trip.

The number of cars and trucks driving around with empty racks, compared to full racks, is rather astonishing. For this reason, one of the most important features of a Cybertruck rack would be the ease with which it goes on and off. Unless you are like my friend back in high school who refused to take off his rack because he thought it made him look more "sporty" and helped him pick up girls. :rolleyes:

WHIZZARD OF OZ

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Up!
Occupation
Electric Wheelchair Builder
Country flag
I get it seems nice but in reality its just money better spend putting solar on your house or yard. Adding it to the vehicle will cost 4x as much as the above alternative thus for the same money produce 4x less energy. Plus if your vehicle doesn't need it, it would be very likely your home could use it. Also, more weight on a vehicle means less range or less efficiency. So you might gain 15 miles per day at a cost of 5 mile per day making all the above calculations even less favorable for vehicle mounted solar. I will say I totally get it for the camping situation but even then, portable options might be superior, easier to expand/upgrade as new technology emerges, more versatile and cost efficient as well. Until vehicle mounted solar is as cheap as and as light as paint its going to be a struggle for anything outside of special use cases or bragging rights. I am sure someone here can math up the payback on a 2k-3k option providing 15 miles a day and when that pay off occurs.
I have one Aussie $ riding on the rear of CT to have a Solar Unit under roof glass !
I know this is a stretch of the imagination, but a Boy from Oz has gotta give it a fair crack of the whip! Cheers

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I am going to cart a big fat rack (and RV) all over Australia, just so on the odd occasion I can use the 270 degree awning which is attached to it. lol

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
I got this framegrab from the latest video shot with a drone at The Petersen recently. It shows 4 anchor points on each side for roof racks. This to me, shows that Tesla is very serious about having heavy duty roof racks for the CT. Also notice the front 2 are at the pillars to support more weight, making it highly likely Tesla intends make the CT a possible work truck with ladder racks available.

roof rack anchor points.jpg

anchorpoints.jpg

More photos added:

1688930191974-png.png

attachment-points-png.png

cybertruck-mounting-points-jpg.jpg
Thank you, Sir.
Sponsored