Sjohnson20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck AWD, Model Y
Country flag
The attention is no joke. Never seen anything like this. Seems like the truck is blonde with a huge set of boobs. People just stare.
Sponsored

Cybergirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Model Y SR, Cybertruck AWD FS
Country flag
I'm taking my CT on a day trip off-road to Swansea Townsite in Arizona this morning. Swansea is an abandoned mining town. It'll be my first off-road trip in the CT. Easy one, but I'm an off-roading noobie.

OP
OP
TesLatino

TesLatino

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
x.com
Vehicles
Model 3 P, Model Y LR, Cybertruck AWD
Country flag
I’m also experiencing the constant attention thing. It’s ok but there are sometimes i wish I had more tinted windows.

question; I’ve been really struggling with how to think about cleaning vs. not cleaning the truck. I’d love to not clean it constantly or worry about rain, bugs etc. How do you balance enjoying your life and vehicle versus the anxiety of worrying about damaging the stainless exterior because you didn’t towel it dry after a rain or immediately washed bugs away?
It doesn't rust. After two weeks abusing it, I washed it at home and everything was fine.

OP
OP
TesLatino

TesLatino

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
x.com
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm taking my CT on a day trip off-road to Swansea Townsite in Arizona this morning. Swansea is an abandoned mining town. It'll be my first off-road trip in the CT. Easy one, but I'm an off-roading noobie.
Have fun!

OP
OP
TesLatino

TesLatino

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
x.com
Vehicles
Country flag
Hmmm... Those BFG K02 tires have been my goto for years. On my 4Runner, I'll air down to 15psi for normal slow roads and rocks, and 10psi for sand. Cybertruck is MUCH heavier, so I'm sure those numbers will go way up. Did you air down at all?
30-36 psi as that's what someone from Tesla told me they had them at when they went to the same Moab trails.

GreenMachina

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S 75D, 2024 FS Cybertruck AWD
Country flag
Hello everyone,

I picked up my Cybertruck on March 4, and here are some of my thoughts.

After 15 days and driving 6,465 miles (drove it locally in the Miami area for about 300 miles and three days later I was on my way to Utah for an overlanding adventure) and with fresh BFG K02 tires, I had an unforgettable experience. The Cybertruck is both a large vehicle and nimble. It drives extremely comfortable but it is also very capable crawling over harsh terrain including very rugged rocky trails, dirt, mud, and sand.

IMG_1093.JPG

Unfortunately for some people, if you are bothered by having others looking at you and approaching you to ask questions, you're in for a surprise. While we were in public transited areas, the attention was constant. We were only not getting photographed or recorded while we were out in the desert, forests or canyons. In the city the Cybertruck is a constant attention magnet. Even on the highway we noticed most people that had passengers and even some single drivers were constantly capturing images of the truck.

attention.png

In our case, because of the things we do, this is ok. I am the founder and president of our local officially partnered Tesla owners club, and one of my main goals is to help educate people about all things EV and Tesla. So the attention demanded by the Cybertruck just makes our mission easier.

While on the trails, the truck demonstrated a lot of capability. We did green, blue and even some red trails in Moab. It was impressive to say the least. I would compare it gladly to my old 80s Jeep days without hesitation.

IMG_1052.jpg

IMG_0863.jpeg

We also drove from Utah to Texas to visit friends near Starbase and did one round of driving around the rocket building facilities.

at-starbase.jpeg

Overall it was a fantastic trip. But now I need to upgrade a few things to make my next trip even better. So I am seeking for some help or advice from someone that has already done the things I am trying to figure out.

I have two things that interest me the most. I was able to set my brand new Starlink High Performance dish on the Cybertruck dashboard as a test and I live-streamed several drives from the road and it was fantastic. But I want to install it on the roof using the wedge it comes with (similar to the way Tesla had them on the RC prototypes), which happens to make the dish be perfectly leveled. But the problem is that I can't find a way to leverage the roof rack mounting points. The studs are too short for anything other than the Tesla-branded racks which are out of stock. So I want to make my own. If anyone here has done a custom rack-like installation, let me know which stud extenders you used. I can't find any that fit.

I also need to leverage the frunk and roof wires for electric mods, and I don't know where to find a step-down device for the 48V wires. All the accessories I found that I want to use are 12V and the converters I have found so far, fall short. I will fry them as soon as I turn the power on. Anyone with details on how to use those electrical connections, please let me know. The information on the Cybertruck manual is vague to say the least.

One more thing if anyone has already purchased the following three things from Tesla (together). I want to make sure they all fit at the same time. The Tesla tent, the spare tire kit and a set of three storage bins (out of stock at the moment).

I may not get the tent and build my own camper kit, similar to what Space Campers is working on, but I am undecided. We did travel adventures even before having all our EVs (Teslas) so I have a lot of experience adventuring across the country. But the level of fun we have now has been multiplied. It's amazing, and I look forward to many years ahead of fun.

More details will be provided online as I download all the footage captured during this trip. Not sure if it is ok to mention my content channels here, but some of you may already know where I publish my content. If anyone that wants to know, asks, I can respond. But my handle is the same almost everywhere. ;)

Cheers!

Your friend,

Rafael

Updated with spotted photos by @QuantumGlen

20240315_095525-jpg.jpg

20240315_144206-jpg.jpg

attention.png
Wow Rafael, that was quite the adventure! Cool pics and video. Can't wait to have fun in ours. Just waiting for the blue button to illuminate to schedule a pickup time.

TownBiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD
Country flag
You can definitely store a set of 3 overpriced tesla storage bins :) I can find out about storing a spare… i think you PROBABLY can. In theory you could do the spare under the tent, and then a set of 3 bins in front (towards the tailgate) of the spare.

Sounds like a great time!

For the Starlink option, Unplugged Performance has their own set of cross bars. They list them as a set of four - but you may ask about a single or double pack. Once you have something to mount it to, I don't think it would be that big of an issue.
Tesla Cybertruck UP INVINCIBLE® HD Roof Rack Set (unpluggedperformance.com)

For the step-down from 48V to 12V - it really comes down to the power/amps the feed device will pull. TSports Line found that they shutdown when exceeding 400W. If you need something larger thn that, you probably want to look at a 120V power supply supplying 12Vs as that would give you access to more power/amps. You would need to (of course) use one of the outlets.

Finally, for the tent/bins/tire deal - I do not think I have seen anyone install the spare. However, it is just a tire/wheel in a cover strapped to the D-Rings in the bed. If you measure your new tires and check two things: 1) Does it rise above the L-Track when in the bed 2) does it take up more than 36" in the bed.

The reason is this. The bins can fit three wide and two deep. The bed is six feet (72") So, if your tire is 36", you should still fit both.

The L-track question is due to the tent design. The tent sits on top of the L-Track - as long as things do not go above the L-Track, you should be able to fit all three.

I know two forum members posted on the tent and the bins. Perhaps he can add his perspective.
- @TownBiz did a great review of his tent (107) Basecamp Tent Follow-Up Review / Recommendation 🏕 | Tesla Cybertruck Forum - News, Discussions, Community - Cybertruckownersclub.com

- @Almost Mars did a post of the bins he acquired and may also help. I think he posted they were 33" on the length. If that is correct, you have a bit of extra room for that spare.
(107) Accessories installed: Molle Vault Cargo Divider + Vault Cargo Bins (Dimensions Inside) + Wheel Center Caps | Tesla Cybertruck Forum - News, Discussions, Community - Cybertruckownersclub.com

Cyber1qhorsey

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FORD Expedition, Escape, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Only 100K reservations to go for my CT order! I'm surprised your road trip was done on off-road tires, Instead of ordering ahead and installing them in Moab... Is there enough room in the bed for 4 large tires with tonneau down? Or carying too much gear? I was googling REI tents that assemble in minutes and weigh only 35 lbs... and cost 95% less than Tesla's... Much preferred to a complex truck bed tent rig...

OP
OP
TesLatino

TesLatino

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
x.com
Vehicles
Country flag
You can definitely store a set of 3 overpriced tesla storage bins :) I can find out about storing a spare… i think you PROBABLY can. In theory you could do the spare under the tent, and then a set of 3 bins in front (towards the tailgate) of the spare.
That has been my plan for a bit but now I think I am going to make a radical camper setup. Similar to the Space Campers "Cap". If I can get a straight setup for leveraging the rack mounting points, I think I can pull it off. From now on, I will crawl the trails if I'm overlanding. No more high speed stuff or dirt or dunes donuts unless the truck is empty.

OP
OP
TesLatino

TesLatino

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
x.com
Vehicles
Country flag
Only 100K reservations to go for my CT order! I'm surprised your road trip was done on off-road tires, Instead of ordering ahead and installing them in Moab... Is there enough room in the bed for 4 large tires with tonneau down? Or carying too much gear? I was googling REI tents that assemble in minutes and weigh only 35 lbs... and cost 95% less than Tesla's... Much preferred to a complex truck bed tent rig...
We have a tent with us always. We actually used it on this trip. Regarding the tires... No way I was going to carry 4 extra tires during my trip. No room or practical use of the space for two weeks. I am probably building a camper kit similar to the Space Campers "Cap".

1711376543170-y0.png

Cyber1qhorsey

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FORD Expedition, Escape, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
We have a tent with us always. We actually used it on this trip. Regarding the tires... No way I was going to carry 4 extra tires during my trip. No room or practical use of the space for two weeks. I am probably building a camper kit similar to the Space Campers "Cap".

1711376543170-y0.png
Buy em, use em, ship them back or sell em. No worries guys! Right tire for the job always. Tesla OEM tires also suck in snow...

M0unt41nm4n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Ford F350 Plat, 22 F150 Plat, 20 Jeep Gladiator
Country flag
Sounds like a great time!

For the Starlink option, Unplugged Performance has their own set of cross bars. They list them as a set of four - but you may ask about a single or double pack. Once you have something to mount it to, I don't think it would be that big of an issue.
Tesla Cybertruck UP INVINCIBLE® HD Roof Rack Set (unpluggedperformance.com)

For the step-down from 48V to 12V - it really comes down to the power/amps the feed device will pull. TSports Line found that they shutdown when exceeding 400W. If you need something larger thn that, you probably want to look at a 120V power supply supplying 12Vs as that would give you access to more power/amps. You would need to (of course) use one of the outlets.

Finally, for the tent/bins/tire deal - I do not think I have seen anyone install the spare. However, it is just a tire/wheel in a cover strapped to the D-Rings in the bed. If you measure your new tires and check two things: 1) Does it rise above the L-Track when in the bed 2) does it take up more than 36" in the bed.

The reason is this. The bins can fit three wide and two deep. The bed is six feet (72") So, if your tire is 36", you should still fit both.

The L-track question is due to the tent design. The tent sits on top of the L-Track - as long as things do not go above the L-Track, you should be able to fit all three.

I know two forum members posted on the tent and the bins. Perhaps he can add his perspective.
- @TownBiz did a great review of his tent (107) Basecamp Tent Follow-Up Review / Recommendation 🏕 | Tesla Cybertruck Forum - News, Discussions, Community - Cybertruckownersclub.com

- @Almost Mars did a post of the bins he acquired and may also help. I think he posted they were 33" on the length. If that is correct, you have a bit of extra room for that spare.
(107) Accessories installed: Molle Vault Cargo Divider + Vault Cargo Bins (Dimensions Inside) + Wheel Center Caps | Tesla Cybertruck Forum - News, Discussions, Community - Cybertruckownersclub.com
Nice… i saw you took it up Hurrah pass… did you go on to Chicken corner or Lockhart Basin? I would love to see how it does the narrows of Lockhart.

OP
OP
TesLatino

TesLatino

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
x.com
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes. I think I have it all on video. Still reviewing footage.

Barb

First Name
Barb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Model S
Occupation
retired teacher
Country flag
Regarding snow--I watched a video yesterday where the fella was saying how the indent where the headlights are fills with snow and completely blocks any light from escaping, hence, making it impossible to see at night. Being there is no heat coming off them, you would have to clear this area on a regular basis if you want to see to drive at night when it's snowing. Has this been your experience? That really put up a red flag for me.
Sponsored