My haunted Tesla

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
I took delivery of a Tesla model y in November of last year. I've been having quite the time getting used to pre-programming the car, learning how to drive it compared to my old f-350, and in general just having a great time with something new that is radically different from any vehicle I've ever driven before. As of late though, it appears my car has learned a new trick and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

Typically I program the car to start charging at 2:30 in the morning and only charge to 80%. This is more than enough time to cover my daily driving and get the charge to my needed level for the day. If I need a little more I just started up while I'm getting ready to go so that I burn it off quickly. For the last couple of weeks my friend and I have been meeting at the gym at 5:30, so to compensate for this I set the car to start charging earlier and to precondition at 5:30. That way by the time I'm ready to go out the door and drive to the gym that is less than 5 minutes away it is warm and ready to go regardless of how cold it is outside.

For a couple of weeks I had to pull out my app and tell the phone to start preheating the car before we left so that the windows were still defrosted. It was just a matter of opening up the app and getting the climate control button.

However sometime last week the car no longer needed me to do this. At the same time that I was pulling out the phone to activate climate control, I received a notification that the cabin of my car was now at the desired temperature. I didn't have to tell it to do it, it did it completely on its own.

So is there a ghost in this machine or is this just a feature of these vehicles that I was unaware of? Is it really learning my schedule? Can any other owners advise?
Sponsored

beeeasybro

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Avalon,Outback, and previously Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Boat Captain
Country flag
What a great problem to have!
I love ghosts!

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Similar how your phone knows you are at home without setting the address. However, if you start seeing these, you may have stumbled in a new set of issues.

Tesla Cybertruck My haunted Tesla 4C7AF5EC-1BA4-4B3A-93ED-F681AFC9B5DB

TomGriff

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 MS 70D, 17 Bolt Premier, CT Reserved, Yamaha T7
Country flag
I don't know for the M3, but for my older 15 MS (still with MCU1) if I use the calendar for work it will precondition. I would guess that MY and M3 have something similar if you are using the calendar.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
I took delivery of a Tesla model y in November of last year. I've been having quite the time getting used to pre-programming the car, learning how to drive it compared to my old f-350, and in general just having a great time with something new that is radically different from any vehicle I've ever driven before. As of late though, it appears my car has learned a new trick and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

Typically I program the car to start charging at 2:30 in the morning and only charge to 80%. This is more than enough time to cover my daily driving and get the charge to my needed level for the day. If I need a little more I just started up while I'm getting ready to go so that I burn it off quickly. For the last couple of weeks my friend and I have been meeting at the gym at 5:30, so to compensate for this I set the car to start charging earlier and to precondition at 5:30. That way by the time I'm ready to go out the door and drive to the gym that is less than 5 minutes away it is warm and ready to go regardless of how cold it is outside.

For a couple of weeks I had to pull out my app and tell the phone to start preheating the car before we left so that the windows were still defrosted. It was just a matter of opening up the app and getting the climate control button.

However sometime last week the car no longer needed me to do this. At the same time that I was pulling out the phone to activate climate control, I received a notification that the cabin of my car was now at the desired temperature. I didn't have to tell it to do it, it did it completely on its own.

So is there a ghost in this machine or is this just a feature of these vehicles that I was unaware of? Is it really learning my schedule? Can any other owners advise?
RESISTANCE IS FUTILE

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
In the morning when getting into the car, it wants to go to my wife’s work. We never set her work address, never told it to do this. Now it just needs to figure out my wife only works MWF.

In the evening, it sometimes tries to go to my most frequent night ride location now.

You can also sync your calendar and it’ll be primed to go to the events in your calendar with addresses.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
A private driving mode is needed so my wife cannot deduce what is being planned for anniversaries and such

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
A private driving mode is needed so my wife cannot deduce what is being planned for anniversaries and such
Or you…

“Funny, the other night I borrowed my wife’s car for our usual Friday night poker game and it took me to the pool boy’s house.”

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
On Thursdays it's become somewhat of a ritual for me to meet some friends at a local bar for a few drinks after work. Now my phone tells me every Thursday "Traffic is light, ETA to <local bar name> is 8 minutes."

Can be embarrassing when giving someone a ride and when I plug my phone into the car (Apple CarPlay) the route to <local bar name> immediately shows up on the screen.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I work from home (both spouse and I) and Google doesn't understand that, so it keeps trying to pick places I drive to as 'work'.

For the longest time it thought the movie theater was 'work' and now it thinks the car repair place is... which is all the more embarrassing because Rusty hasn't claimed his business on Google maps.

-Crissa

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
Man, I'm gonna have to get rid of my Tesla if it starts driving my wife to the stripper joint...
Sponsored