My solution for windshield wiper design! What do you think?

Otar Botchorishvili

First Name
Otar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I do not own any Tesla yet
Occupation
Industrial designer
Country flag
Well. I was thinking about the wiper problem with the CT. I came across an idea that can be very stylish and also not expensive to implement. I attach video link bellow for better understanding.

The idea is to place the wiper on a beam between the windshield and the door so it doesn't take up any visible space. When not in use, it will be on the level of the surface, like Model S door handles in the closed position. once activated, it will rise to the surface and start moving horizontally (linear motor is not needed, normal servo motor will make it work perfectly). Such a movement will allow you to wipe the entire surface without leaving dusty arcs, as regular wipers do.

If there is a problem with pressure on the surface, a simple low pressure vacuum mechanism can be implemented. Even this feature doesn't make wipers as complicated as regular wipers.

What do you think of this decision. As CT owners, would you like to have these wipers? Or, if there are engineers here, it would be great to hear your opinion.
Sponsored

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
This is what Tesla patented in 2019, just not hidden in the A pillar.

https://pdfaiw.uspto.gov/.aiw?PageNum=1&docid=20190270431&IDKey=33C03AD0C621&HomeUrl=http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2%26Sect2=HITOFF%26u=%252Fnetahtml%252FPTO%252Fsearch-adv.html%26r=4%26p=1%26f=G%26l=50%26d=PG01%26S1=Tesla.AANM.%26OS=AANM/Tesla%26RS=AANM/Tesla

the windshield covers the A pillar as far as I can tell so there is a problem there. Your idea still requires rails above and below.

personally I love the ‘idea’ of a translational wiper and I hope Tesla is still working on it. The mega wiper just doesn’t seem like it can do the job.

Last edited:

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Nice animation. Theres a few threads on this forum that go through exactly that design in some detail. I definitely prefer that side to side motion however.​

Klaxon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT
Country flag
The linear drive is much less reliable than the pivoting one. The problem is the contamination of the guides/slides. The snow and ice is another serious obstruction.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
What is wrong with the electromagnetic drive? It would be pretty much impervious to dirt, mud, snow, and ice. And simple compared to any traditional drive. The problems as have been noted by Elon: how to store the blade and what to do about the upper rail. I hope they solve these problems as it would be beyond cool - very Cybertrucky.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
Electromagnetic drives can be tricky, and a lot less durable than standard motor. I don't want a Cybertrick. Sometimes, in our quest make everything different, we try things that eventually prove gimmicky. Remember vacuum-hose activated flip headlights? We don't do that anymore.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
Well. I was thinking about the wiper problem with the CT. I came across an idea that can be very stylish and also not expensive to implement. I attach video link bellow for better understanding.

The idea is to place the wiper on a beam between the windshield and the door so it doesn't take up any visible space. When not in use, it will be on the level of the surface, like Model S door handles in the closed position. once activated, it will rise to the surface and start moving horizontally (linear motor is not needed, normal servo motor will make it work perfectly). Such a movement will allow you to wipe the entire surface without leaving dusty arcs, as regular wipers do.

If there is a problem with pressure on the surface, a simple low pressure vacuum mechanism can be implemented. Even this feature doesn't make wipers as complicated as regular wipers.

What do you think of this decision. As CT owners, would you like to have these wipers? Or, if there are engineers here, it would be great to hear your opinion.
Well it sure is sleek and clean looking.

Deleted member 5322

Nice design, but it will never work. The windshield's width is so broad, and it will take some time to go back and forth. In the heavy rain or snow, it will not be able to clean a windshield fast enough. If you increase the speed -you will face another problem you have to solve. Even with BAW, there is a speed/reliability issue, I think. The bottom line is a regular wiper is the simplest, cheapest solution. If there is no problem with storing it - I believe EM would install two regular wipers.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Electromagnets attract dirt and hate mud.

-Crissa
Do you have a concrete example you can point me to? I'd like to read up on it. I just looked it up and the couple of links i looked at seemed to disagree with your assessment:

https://crescentsystemsinc.com/food...oducts/electromagnetic-drives-and-components/

https://www.pi-usa.us/en/expertise/technology/electromagnetic-drives/magnetic-direct-drives/

Clearly you have specific ideas in mind so I'd like to read the source material.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Do you have a concrete example you can point me to? I'd like to read up on it. I just looked it up and the couple of links i looked at seemed to disagree with your assessment:

https://crescentsystemsinc.com/food...oducts/electromagnetic-drives-and-components/

https://www.pi-usa.us/en/expertise/technology/electromagnetic-drives/magnetic-direct-drives/

Clearly you have specific ideas in mind so I'd like to read the source material.
All I can say is they're idiots trying to sell you on a product, [edit: ] if they're saying linear drives aren't susceptible to dirt.

Dirt includes bits of rust and iron. That sticks to the magnets. It grinds your surfaces down. It's a pain. If there's an exposed magnetic track... yuck.

-Crissa

Last edited:

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
This has been suggested a few times. I like the idea but it isn't happening. They have their design already and aren't looking at this website for suggestions.

But I would prefer this style.