- First Name
- Apr 28, 2020
- Reaction score
- Omaha, NE
- Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
It's all about how much risk you want to assume. Buying a MY and selling/trading it in will surely be worth less than just sitting on the money. But, if you have to be paying on a car anyway, why not a MY? They'll hold their value pretty well if they follow the pattern of the M3. Buying stock could pay off big or could be at a low when you need the money the most.
Opinions are like ... well, you know the rest of that. I think I'd put half into Tesla stock and sit on the other half in some easy to cash out interest bearing account of some sort. Then, maybe that original $20K will have done well with Tesla stock and between that and the $20K in the safe account, you'd be able to buy the CT when available without owing much if any. Again, depends on the amount of risk you want to take.
This is close to where I am right now. My wife's MY has me wanting one of my own and I don't want to wait 2 years or longer to get it! So, I'm weighing the possibility of buying a M3 to sell when my CT gets made... I look at it as a "forced savings account with a crappy negative return" but it lets me ride in a M3 for a year!
Basically agree with you with one exception. I would do $20K in Tesla stock and $20K in a total stock market exchange traded fund using a low cost provider such as Fidelity, Vanguard or T. Rowe Price.