William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tesla Model 3, 2006 BMW 325i, 2009 Lexus LX570, 2005 Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Information security engineer
Country flag
The last sentence threw me for a loop after reading your post!! 40k in one year???
Yeah we drive a lot. It will be less when daughter is no longer in travel soccer it doesn't help when she is on a team that is 50 miles from our house. Lots of practice and games far away. In winter our practice is 70 miles from our house
Sponsored

zxylene

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tesla Model 3, 2006 BMW 325i, 2009 Lexus LX570, 2005 Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Information security engineer
Country flag
Yeah we drive a lot. It will be less when daughter is no longer in travel soccer it doesn't help when she is on a team that is 50 miles from our house. Lots of practice and games far away. In winter our practice is 70 miles from our house
We average about $350 a month in gas last year, covid changed a lot with communing a few days a week instead of every day. Soccer is also less. We will still be over 25-30,000 miles for the year I bet.

Frank W

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Retired Army 1975-1997
Country flag
We average about $350 a month in gas last year, covid changed a lot with communing a few days a week instead of every day. Soccer is also less. We will still be over 25-30,000 miles for the year I bet.
That is quite a big gas bill for a month. Hopefully there’s some carpooling going on to lighten the burden.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
I also believe with the new 4680 battery we should see close to the 50 percent increase in range due to the new design and integration into the Exoskeleton frame. I believe this will happen, and I believe it will happen by the time the CT comes out later next year. I see this happening because Tesla is already making these batteries by the tens of thousands now.

One thing Tesla was quiet about was the expected battery life. I think that was smart. However, one might think since the new 4680 will be structurally part of the vehicle it should last a very long time. Let’s say maybe a million miles? Who knows? Stranger things have happened when Tesla is involved!
I think that at most there will be a small, maybe 10% increase in range than what was stated last year.

I agree with others that this is the technology Tesla was hoping to have ready for when it came time to produce the CyberTruck. If I am wrong, I will be surprised when they start shipping the CyberTruck with a greater than 550 mile range for the TriMotor.

Elon and Tesla never claimed more range than 500, but I think many people will complain when it has that range or slightly better when it ships and not 700 miles of range they want it to have.

Frank W

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Retired Army 1975-1997
Country flag
Except that they did say 500+ but I agree with your assessment that 700 is very unlikely.

Billyboy

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra, Honda CRV
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yep, if you know what you're doing, you just need one of these: https://www.amazon.com/EGS107501G2KIT-10-7501G2-Detailed-Instructions-Flexible/dp/B005FQJD7K

But we don't know the ratings on the Cybertruck yet, so we'll have to wait.

-Crissa
Of course you don’t allow your power going out to the grid, that would endanger linemen. I installed a manual lock out transfer switch 20 years ago, as grid was unreliable, use a backup Propane water cooled Koehler generator.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
If you understand how to wire a house, powering a house load from the Cybertruck 240v outlet will be easy, if you have room for an additional double Breaker in your main panel.
Max amps is set by the Cybertruck.
Of course you don’t allow your power going out to the grid, that would endanger linemen. I installed a manual lock out transfer switch 20 years ago, as grid was unreliable, use a backup Propane water cooled Koehler generator.
So it appears that there is a little more to it than just an additional 2 pole breaker. It is a very simple matter for you to add a line or two to the original post making it clear that the emergency source must be connected by means of a switch that insures that it is isolated from the line. Please do that.

shaneaus

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy 1500 Z71
Country flag
The point is, you're probably making those stops to go pee, anyhow. Might as well on-board some electrons.
Maybe, you do - and, I'm sure many do. But, when I'm in a road trip with my sons we stop just long enough to pee - and, not a second longer! Hard to get those electrons when the entire stop last less than five minutes.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Maybe, you do - and, I'm sure many do. But, when I'm in a road trip with my sons we stop just long enough to pee - and, not a second longer! Hard to get those electrons when the entire stop last less than five minutes.
5 minutes is 70 more miles of range at a 250 kilowatt station at 300 watt-hours per mile.

And that's today's charging, not tomorrow's. Five minutes of charging per hour of travel isn't very much... That's less time than I usually end up losing to fueling and meal breaks. And I long haul. My favorite is driving up the coast on the Redwood Highway. I grew up in Oregon. Lots of memories of sitting in the back of the car going to and from. I drive from one afternoon until the sun rises. I usually make it from Portland to Santa Cruz in twelve to thirteen hours. But... That's still an hour taking bio-breaks and meals.

You seem to like pushing your driving. It's not safe. Take breaks. Enjoy the hops. Get a drink. Then focus on your driving.

-Crissa

shaneaus

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy 1500 Z71
Country flag
5 minutes is 70 more miles of range at a 250 kilowatt station at 300 watt-hours per mile.

And that's today's charging, not tomorrow's. Five minutes of charging per hour of travel isn't very much... That's less time than I usually end up losing to fueling and meal breaks. And I long haul. My favorite is driving up the coast on the Redwood Highway. I grew up in Oregon. Lots of memories of sitting in the back of the car going to and from. I drive from one afternoon until the sun rises. I usually make it from Portland to Santa Cruz in twelve to thirteen hours. But... That's still an hour taking bio-breaks and meals.

You seem to like pushing your driving. It's not safe. Take breaks. Enjoy the hops. Get a drink. Then focus on your driving.

-Crissa
Just recognize that not everyone wants to drive as you do when going long distance. My vacation time is limited. When I take my two sons skiing we, typically, only have a couple days travel time for both directions! It is 16 hrs one way with only one stop for a sit down meal which is less than 40 minutes. Every single stop the rest of the 16 hrs is less than five minutes and we switch drivers. We only stop when we reach a 1/4 tank if gas in the truck. This allows us to have five days of skiing on a seven day vacation.

If we have to stop and wait several times for the vehicle to charge that could easily put us over time and we would lose a day of skiing or not make it back in time to sleep for with the next morning.

One can only take one's time driving and stopping if one has enough vacation time provided to allow for a leisurely pace. Most people I know do NOT have that luxury!

shaneaus

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy 1500 Z71
Country flag
That's the point. They're describing a type of driving and then not doing the math.

They nearly certainly already stop that long on average over long drives.

-Crissa
I'm describing my trips with my two sons... Apologies, it is 14 hrs - not 16. And, we drive mostly at night and several times just pull over on the side of the road in desolate west Texas to pee. We rarely stop more than five times in the whole 14 hr trip. Three times to fill up (one of those times to sit down and eat.) Any other time the only person who exits the truck is the one who needs to pee - go straight to the restroom and straight back. Occasionally, we don't even turn the truck off as we just aren't there long enough to bother.

So, if your telling me that I can hop in my CT and drive about 400 miles, pull over and charge for 5 minutes, and drive another 400 miles before I stop again, do that a third time before a 40 minute charge and eating, to drive another 400 miles, stop for 5 minutes to top off the charge to finish the 1825 mile trip. I'm golden!

But, we have done that trip five times that fast. It's really easy at night we switch drivers every six hours and when not driving we are sleeping or resting.

Frank W

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Retired Army 1975-1997
Country flag
Sounds like you are talking yourself out of the CT like others that seem to think that they have no flexibility in the routine. I definitely understand how precious time off can be and wanting to make the most of the trip but slowing down and making it more of a fun trip than a hectic one can be rewarding. Lots of times traveling at night I have run into construction zones where traffic can either be slowed down drastically or even stopped for several minutes. Hard driving catches up to you and you can feel like a zombie driving on and on while your boys sleep. I am assuming that they are younger and you are not taking turns driving. The CT may not be the best option for everyone but it sure will be safer than what we are currently driving I believe. I am looking forward to getting a vehicle that can provide more awareness of what is going on around me such as a deer/pronghorn (TX) crossing the road right in front of the vehicle.

Accidents happen.
Elon Musk is Glad that Tesla Driver is Okay After Horrific Crash— Fan will buy Model 3 Again After Walking Away Unharmed!
https://apple.news/APf8roDy3S-CYC8EEY1r4YA

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I'm describing my trips with my two sons... Apologies, it is 14 hrs...

So, if your telling me that I can hop in my CT and drive about 400 miles, pull over and charge for 5 minutes, and drive another 400 miles before I stop again, do that a third time before a 40 minute charge and eating, to drive another 400 miles, stop for 5 minutes to top off the charge to finish the 1825 mile trip. I'm golden!
There is simply no way to slice it in which charging a BEV does not take more time than filling up with petrol. On a 900 mile trip you would typically charge to 95% at home before departure and then drive down to 10% meaning, if all goes well and you maintian EPA rating like speed, 85% of 500 miles is 425 miles. At that point you would charge to 70% which would take you 27 - 37 minutes depending on the severity of the charger's taper. You would then drive down to 10% again giving you 60% of 500 miles or 300 miles. You would now be at 10% and 725 miles from home with 200 miles to go so you would charge for a second time to 60% which would take 22 to 27 minutes. It's 5 miles per percent so the remainder of the trip would require 40% and you would arrive at the destination with 20% reserve so you could charge to only 50% for 10% reserve and save 5 - 7 minutes (17 - 20 minute to 50%). Total charging time is then 49 - 64 minutes. There are things, of course, that can change that. Driving fast, headwinds and, the one that always surprises me in its impact, rain. Besides that charging stations are where they are - not likely to be spaced as I have assumed in these calculations. You must be prepared to adjust for these things in real time. Many people find this aspect of driving a BEV part of the fun. If you do not and/or if you find as much as an hour or even somewhat more nettlesome on a trip of this length then don't get a BEV.

As always I suggest that you go to A Better Route Planner and put your actual route into it. You can try various options and it will accordingly recommend routes and stops to optimize your time.
Sponsored