SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
what's wrong with the fender for placement?
Apparently they think ice is going to go through the flare to the back side where the plug is.

-Crissa
Thanks for answering for me, but that's not why I care about it being in the flare.

My reason is that I hunt. Some of the back roads I hunt are tightly tree lined. The roads get covered in snow, and mud and they are not perfectly level from side to side, so sometimes the truck slides from side to side. It was about 7 years ago but my friends truck had his flare damaged and pulled off while traveling the roads. I actually use flares that are basically made of heavy neoprene. They have held up very well. But they don't really protect my fenders from a impact much more then a speeding grocery cart.

It's not a deal breaker to put the charge port in the flare. The door in the flare just has a higher chance of being ripped off. Putting the port in the fender itself creates a flush door...like a gas cap door. Even if it gets damaged it doesn't get pulled off because it's not a protruding part.

(Edit)
I would also think having the charge port door open and close horizontally, opposed to vertically, would also help prevent door damage.

Last edited:

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
what's wrong with the fender for placement?
It is charge port .vs. ICE gas cap mentality. A vestige.

Reminiscent of gas pumps, hoses and dirty smelly fill-ups the charge door opens from the past that the vehicle is not even a part. From designer inception to prototype the charge port has assumed the position. A position that it did not justify which flipping up begs to differ.

First principles, Cybertruck ports are better positioned in the vehicle as is the pumphose cum charge cord that currently hangs dutifully in-place like a gas pump. Inside like frunk inside – both sides if a pair. Ditto charge cord(s) ‘cuz Cybertruck owners will be charging in the damnedest places(backcountry, V2V, etc…) the CT owner who doesn’t need a cord? Few as the true utility of the 4680 batterypack ranges wider, farther and longer than where Tesla charge network ventures.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Thanks for answering for me, but that's not why I care about it being in the flare.

My reason is that I hunt. Some of the back roads I hunt are tightly tree lined. The roads get covered in snow, and mud and they are not perfectly level from side to side, so sometimes the truck slides from side to side. It was about 7 years ago but my friends truck had his flare damaged and pulled off while traveling the roads. I actually use flares that are basically made of heavy neoprene. They have held up very well. But they don't really protect my fenders from a impact much more then a speeding grocery cart.

It's not a deal breaker to put the charge port in the flare. The door in the flare just has a higher chance of being ripped off. Putting the port in the fender itself creates a flush door...like a gas cap door. Even if it gets damaged it doesn't get pulled off because it's not a protruding part.

(Edit)
I would also think having the charge port door open and close horizontally, opposed to vertically, would also help prevent door damage.
Putting it back along the body is additional cuts and weakness in the body, tho.

If the fender - the body isn't the fender - is torn off, the inlet is still fine, nestled inside the body.

-Crissa

CactusPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance, and Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Airline Pilot
Country flag
Next time you get a haircut, save some and glue it around the charge port. ;)
It's tucked in behind the area where mud can directly be deposited by spinning tires. I'm sure if the mud was caked on thick enough you might have to swipe some away before opening the charge door but that's possible no matter where you put it if it's that muddy. I like keeping the stainless steel exterior as clean and unbroken as possible so the new location is a big improvement.

I do wish they would put an illuminated ring around the charger port like the Model S has so I can see exactly where to plug it in when it's pitch-black outside. My Model 3 has the illuminated "T" to the left of the port but strangely enough, I still have to go in little circles with the charge handle before it plops into the port when it's really dark out.

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Putting it back along the body is additional cuts and weakness in the body, tho.

If the fender - the body isn't the fender - is torn off, the inlet is still fine, nestled inside the body.

-Crissa
I think you are confusing the issue a little that Bill906 was trying to clarify and that several of us replied to.

For clarity, could we define "fender"?
Is the fender the Stainless part, or the black part?
The stainless steel is the fender. The charge port is currently located in the wheel arch trim.
Probably more commonly referred to as the fender flare.
....and Tim agrees.
It is called FLARE!
The black part is the fender flare. The silver part is the fender/body.

If the fender flare (or even just the charge port door that resides on, or as part of, the fender flare) is torn off, the charge port is now exposed to the outside elements. I would prefer to minimize the chances of the charge port being exposed. Since I think the odds of damage coming to the fender flare are higher than the odds of damage coming to the fender/body, I think it's bad placement. I would prefer the charge port and it's associated door be placed on the truck in a non-protruding place unlikey to take damage, so that that the charge port "nestled inside the body" is less likely to be exposed.

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I refuse to call something a fender that's not a fender on a unibody vehicle.

-Crissa
OK whatever. But you called something else that is also not a fender (the fender flare) a fender.
I'm just trying to keep the words we are trying to use in this conversation consistent.

We all agree the current position of the charge port and its door are in the fender flare.

If you don't want to call it a "fender flare" because you don't think the flare is on "fender", just call it a flare, or exoskeleton flare.