HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
there's lots of space for a bigger frunk, but they're using that space for other things; motors, air suspension, etc.
Isn't that like saying that ICE cars have plenty of space for a big frunk, but they are using that space for other things like and engine, starter battery, and air intake/filtrations and fuel injection system?

I never understood the people who were hoping for a huge frunk when it was obvious due to the shape of the hood that the frunk could not be huge.

This is just good design to make the vehicle aerodynamic and increase its actual range while keeping the price affordable. The Hummer EV chose to increase range by putting in a huge battery, aerodynamics and price be damned, and look how popular of a truck it is! But, yeah, it has a huge frunk, so what?
Sponsored

SlegMD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus
Occupation
Physical therapy
Country flag
There is an internal reason for limiting frunk space. They would not have limited this “just because”. And I’m sure Tesla optimized the whole thing. But to answer your question, I don’t know, and no one here does.

kbolt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
As a golfer I would prefer to put the bag, shoes and rest of the golf gear in the frunk. Great if it fits, but I’m getting it either way.
As a non-golfer the discussion of golf is good for reading before bed. I'll also be getting the CT either way.

I only use the frunk in the Y on road trips when I'm maxing out storage.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
From the video shared yesterday with the Cybertruck next to the Model Y I was thinking "cool, the Cybertruck isn't 'that' much longer than the Model Y". Then I got to thinking, Elon said 19' truck and of course that calculates to 228 inches, which is only 4" shorter than the original spec., and in the video overlay of the Model Y over the Cybertruck (I suspect the first prototype was longer than 230") the Model Y was dwarfed by the Cybertruck. Is it all an optical illusion? Hmm...the Model Y is 187" so that is a difference of 3 1/2', or less than 2' on either end. I guess it all adds up.

If the overall length of the Cybertruck has only been shortened by 4" from the original 232", and the bed has been shortened from 6 1/2' to 6', where did that 10" go?

Barb

First Name
Barb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Model S
Occupation
retired teacher
Country flag
On the upside, maybe it will be easier to access all the wires and fuses for quicker fixes. I have to spend $900 to bring my Model S in for a battery fuse replacement: They have to drop the battery to gain access. This still seems excessive being they were considering a battery swap idea in conjunction with Supercharging...

kbolt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
They did it on the Ford Lighting and Chevrolet Silverado EV. Ton of space all around in those.
This is a Tesla fail and they will be raked over the coals for a long time.

The CT essentially has SS going for it and TBD larger windshield view. NACS used to be on the list.
They did it on the Ford and Chevy because they have box fronts. If you want any aerodynamic design you can't have a square box on the front

kbolt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
If
Personally, as a handyman who does quite a bit of construction I'm fine with the smaller frunk. I'll, mostly, be putting my electric hand tools/hand tools up there (tool belt, circular saw, router, batteries, etc.) Anything else (and, anything larger) will go in the back.

Non-work use - I just need to be able to put groceries there. If I can get 6-8 bags of groceries (even if some have to stack on top of others) I'll be fine with that frunk design.
When camping out hunting I'll likely use the drink for gun storage.

I do hope they have some outlets and an air hose fitting! Remote opening would be nice, especially if it were voice command - so, when ones hand are full of groceries it could be opened via voice as one approaches the vehicle).
If it doesn't come with a powered frunk the team at Alset Auto installs those on existing teslas

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
The Rivian also has a Cd of 0.30 and also has a boxed bonnet like a normal ICE pickup. The CT has just dragged the windscreen further forward instead. The interior ends at the back of the front rear wells. This is where your feet go on in 95% of car designs.

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag

kbolt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I
I will look into those. However, the key would be that I can give my phone a voice command to open the frunk.
Haven't done it personally, but I saw a video where they were using the app to open and close the frunk. I believe, but not 100% sure, they were using the Tesla app. The video I saw was to help someone who is disabled.

evazquezcu

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Chevy Silverado LT
Country flag
They did it on the Ford Lighting and Chevrolet Silverado EV. Ton of space all around in those.
This is a Tesla fail and they will be raked over the coals for a long time.

The CT essentially has SS going for it and TBD larger windshield view. NACS used to be on the list.
So you are saying the front end of both of those are the same length of the CT... ??

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
I will look into those. However, the key would be that I can give my phone a voice command to open the frunk.
The auto frunks still work that way. They just trigger when the car is told to open frunk

Willspence

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Pianist
Country flag
Yes, this confirms that the frunk is small. Not a surprise, given the outer dimensions/configuration of the front end. Since there are only goose-neck hinges visible, I'm afraid that the frunk lid is not powered. Hopefully the hood is not as delicate as the other Tesla vehicles, as this keeps many from utilizing the frunk.
Would be nice if they came powered from the factory but it’s very easy to install the aftermarket frunklid powering kits, and they work great.
Sponsored