Coolbreeze704

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y, 23 Lightning, CyberTruck (someday)
Occupation
GM Manufactured Homes
Country flag

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
note stubbier front nose compared to the 2019 concept
Tesla Cybertruck New leaked video! Many Cybertrucks production completed w/ new wheel design + finished frunks! 4479fdc5-d1c1-467b-8b16-b9df222510b9-jpe
in terms of dimensions, I really don’t think the nose is materially “stubbier” except in appearance

the photo above is a bit distorted for this comparison, as the 2019 reveal is taken from such a distance that it shows the entire profile; the Petersen photo is taken much closer, obscuring the front’s profile. Not saying there’s not some difference, but that those photos don’t make for a good 1-for-1

separately, the New design changes some proportions that exaggerate the appearance of the front being more “stubby” (eg the location of the peak of the roof is further forward, etc.)

regardless, there’s really no appreciable difference between the length of the F150 and CT in terms of distance between bumper and dashboard. There’s just as much space within that distance.

instead, there are just very different approaches to packaging and volume of mechanicals to be packaged

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
depending on who you may be referencing, if you look back at the more knowledgeable of those comments you’ll see there’s no implication that it’s obscuring something ‘positive’

that Tesla tweet of the first truck being built you can bet was on a prescribed clock for being a few days in advance of the Q2 earning’s call - as is corporate custom

if a few bits and bobs were missing still from that truck, you can bet they were still on a clock to get the photo out

That this is likely is supported by your original observation: other than the wheelset, There’s nothing noticeably different between *installed* parts

The way they’ve got the wheel areas obscured, I’m guessing that first truck was some combo of missing lower trim pieces, resting on bump stops with air suspension inoperable, or some such portion of not being quite ready for prime time.

MonkeyDeLuffy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Maverick
Occupation
Math In-and-Out
Country flag
Frunk has been a low priority item from the beginning. Battery, frames, panels, electronics etc. are all axed in some way, to make it mass production after four years. A lot of compromises. Still waiting for battery leaks, patiently.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
the photo above is a bit distorted for this comparison, as the 2019 reveal is taken from such a distance that it shows the entire profile; the Petersen photo is taken much closer, obscuring the front’s profile. Not saying there’s not some difference, but that those photos don’t make for a good 1-for-1
while also not a perfect comparison, as these are a also each a bit from different angles, they’re at similar distances from the vehicle and do enough to show that the prior comparison photos above distort the relative length of the ‘nose’

investor day beta at top, original prototype at bottom:

Tesla Cybertruck New leaked video! Many Cybertrucks production completed w/ new wheel design + finished frunks! 9C6E7E39-7760-43C3-A571-D26BF0CE6DD4

shaneaus

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy 1500 Z71
Country flag
Some of you make me feel old at only 60 by expecting everything to be automatic, so the biggest muscle you have to exercise to open frunks and trunks is your tongue muscle. And this is on a vehicle in which weight is a real design consideration because it must accelerate, corner and brake. Lightness and simplicity help increase efficiency, reliability and affordability of an item that is already expensive relative to most peoples budgets.

I can only imagine all you "youngsters" who find it too inconvenient to open a trunk or frunk of their work truck with their hand, must have already upgraded their kitchens with power cabinets, power fridge and power oven, with voice commands, of course. Or maybe you just wave your toe back and forth under the cabinet or appliance you want to open. Because your hands are often full or wet/messy when preparing food. And the design considerations in a kitchen don't include minimizing weight, yet you think even a vehicle should have this added, as standard, despite the extra expense/complication/weight.

I feel like my kitchen is so inconvenient now that I've realized it should come with a power oven door and a fridge that I only need to say "Open sesame, you most awesome food chiller"! How much do these "must have" kitchen upgrades cost and where do I get them? Or, should I just stick with simplicity and come to terms that I might get a little tomato squeezings on my fridge door handle or have to open the oven manually, while holding the cooking tray in the other hand? This is before I consider how many times I have to open the kitchen cabinet doors with my hands full!

And I thought power can openers were an odd kitchen accessory when they started to become popular in the 1960's. I guess this same principle explains shoes that no longer require a manual and laborious shoelace tying procedure. Because shoe tying knots are hard. Next thing you know, a car will not be good enough without a power rear view mirror and a self-closing glovebox. Because who wants to do those inconvenient tasks using manual labor? What if my hands are busy texting? Oh, yeah, there's a solution for that.

Pretty soon, we won't need to get out of bed because the bed will send focused beams of high-frequency electrical energy to stimulate the muscles and provide effortless exercise while an IV drip provides all the necessary nutrients without food preperation, and a VR headset makes you think you are laboriously walking outside using your own muscles and opening your car door manually to get in and go to work. What a wonderful life we could have if we take this line of thinking to the limit! 😉
That was a wall of text. I'm 55. I can certainly do things without automation. But, some of that automation makes my life easier, makes mundane tasks faster, and life more enjoyable. So, this youngster is happy to have them - but, certainly doesn't need them!

shaneaus

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy 1500 Z71
Country flag
YES YES, go on! This is discussion I was trying to start by posting F150 crash video @0:56 .
(F150 lightning does not contain airbag inside frunk. lol, now I want to do a video of unloading frunk full of beer and ice using old airbag.)

If colliding with "object" such as a head-on 3" lifted tacoma?
800# of drivetrain bolted to chassis superior to empty frunk for such a case?
If colliding with solid wall, drivetrain limits deceleration distance, so not as helpful in different case?
Again, F150 crash video @0:56 posted to support discussion.
https://www.cybertruckownersclub.co...wheel-design-finished-frunks.8922/post-167583
I was a traffic cop for most of my 26 year career. I've been to lots of training on collision investigation and I've, personally, worked at least 1000 wrecks. Never in my training or experience has anything indicated a large incompressible mass in front of the occupants would be anything other than a bad thing. Maybe, an edge case for running into a pole sticking out behind the rear of a semi trailer might prevent the pole from sitting into the occupant area...

Yes, am engine might prevent some intrusion into the occupant area - but, that would be at the cost of the occupants slamming directly into that transfered force.

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
No wonder it is now sub-19 feet. As long as we got 6+ feet for the bed, I'm fine with it.
I honestly don’t remember, was it sub-19’, or it fits in a 20’ garage? I remember a 6 foot “plus” bed…

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
We need @cvalue13 to shrink the Cybertruck in that first image by ~1.75% given the now confirmed 4-5" reduction in length.
as you know but for others that may be unaware: that first photo was intentionally set to the ~same length in order only to show relative proportions (specifically that the CT and F150 have ~same ratio of ‘nose’ forward of the dashboard compared to the remainder of the body)

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
as you know but for others that may be unaware: that first photo was intentionally set to the ~same length in order only to show relative proportions (specifically that the CT and F150 have ~same ratio of ‘nose’ forward of the dashboard compared to the remainder of the body)
Indeed, we also had no official confirmation that the truck had been shrunk down from 231.7" back then so that was a useful comparison in terms of dimensions as well. I know you have already done it for the top down image quoted below and there wasn't a massive difference but it would be interesting to see nonetheless, if and when you have the time.

As ever, this is not intended as spot-on by any means, but instead to put rough magnitudes at comparison.

I took the two overhead photos of F150 and CT, and scaled the CT photo down by the 2.2% reduced length compared to a Lighting (232.7 vs 227.5), and then created comparative overlays of the Frunk footprints (darker area the floor, lighter area the ceiling). All in order to get a roughly scaled, roughly sized, overlapping compare of the two Frunk volumes and locations relative to vehicle

As stated elsewhere, the Lightning frunk is 14.1 cubic feet of volume. If we assume the CT frunk has roughly the same height on average, then the eyeballed relative volume appears to be about 1/2, maybe a bit more give than take. Call it 8 cubic feet?

As we've still not seen the CT's "tub" trim, it's impossible to know how minimalist or impactful that tub trim will be to the available volume - the overlays below assume basically minimalist impact.

CT Frunk Compare 7-24-23.jpg

CT Frunk Compare 2 7-4-23.jpg

bootcoder

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2000 Ford Excursion
Occupation
Software Eng
Country flag
Supremely disappointed in the depth of the frunk. Was really hoping for something comparable to the Lightning. No way they needed all the under hood things so far forward when there is so much space under the dash.
Sponsored