O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I noticed my Y model order stepped up delivery by a month. I hope that is because of the battery .
good luck....bet you still get 2170's......its hard to predict when exactly the 4680's will start coming off the line in Texas as production, but maybe soon all will have them......fremont model y's still are getting 2170's I think
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
good luck....bet you still get 2170's......its hard to predict when exactly the 4680's will start coming off the line in Texas as production, but maybe soon all will have them......fremont model y's still are getting 2170's I think
Austin Ys are already being delivered with 4680s. The batteries were just produced in Fremont.

-Crissa

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Austin Ys are already being delivered with 4680s. The batteries were just produced in Fremont.

-Crissa
thats what I thought I implied........"hard to predict when exactly the 4680's will start coming off the line in Texas as production".......I just wanted to say that production of 4680's batteries and having Texas 4680's in Texas Y's will happen soon I hope

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The depth of Tesla’s battery supply chain is one of their superpowers in this transition.

GM & Ford rely on one Chinese battery supplier each so they are limited to the speed at which that one supplier can scale. If their single source falls down, they are capped.

Tesla has bought up battery supply for CATL, LG Chem, BYD, Panasonic, and they are making their own. Tesla can expand at the average ramp speed of all the suppliers, plus their own in-house expansion speed. If one supplier crushes it and delivers 2x the expansion speed, Tesla can put those cells to use. If a supplier falls down and misses a factory opening by 6 months, they are able to compensate to an extent.

I’m sure GM and Ford are trying to expand their sourcing, but they don’t have a great track record and still seem hesitant to make huge commitments. Stellantis (Ram/ Dodge) is even more gun-shy and is likely even further behind on this.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Yeah, they're behind the curve, and learned the lessons the hard way with recalls.

In the next few years, we'll see what their new battery factories can churn out.

-Crissa
Sponsored