Not looking good for CT tax credit

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
As currently proposed do PHEVs get same amount as BEVs?

If PHEVs are going to be included PHEVs should only get 20% subsidy ($2K) as buying a Full BEV ($10K).

If PHEVs get the full amount 10K subsidy this $40K price limit would greatly favor legacy OEMs that want to produce PHEVs to extend the life of ICE manufacturing. Most PHEVs get subsidy while most full BEVs get little because cost of BEV battery makes most truly ICE competitive BEVs cost over $40K.
Sponsored

ctcyber

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 RAM 1500, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Damnit. I always get the Mach E crossed up because it gets the existing credit where Tesla doesn't.

But your list reminded me.

Hyundai Ioniq and Kona are both under $40k and the Kona at least I've heard good things about.
So on that list there are 3 - maybe 4, (Ioniq, Leaf, Mini and maybe Bolt) that could be purchased for under $40K. The others (Mach E is over, Niro, and Kona) are starting so close to $40 that adding floor mats would push them over $40K.

That essentially means this asinine amendment would limit the tax break to 4 different cars. So as I said, a perfect example of lawmakers with their heads up their asses. They are so far removed from reality that they have no clue what cars for the working class actually cost.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Someone threads get locked when a bad reply is generated.

Also, we already had threads about it, so no worries ^-^

I think they chose the limit to reduce the cost of the credit. There's still reconciliation bills to pass. We'll see what we get.

-Crissa

PS: If the whole tax credit applies to a Leaf, for instance, that would be bonkers amazing even if they're not terribly capable cars in range - they do all the commute+school+grocery runs perfectly and without the lag of the cheapest Prius.

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Musk had this designed right after he went through production of the Model 3.

It is designed and built from the ground up to be easy to build. There are more raw materials than the Model 3, but there are hundreds fewer manufacturing steps and hundreds fewer parts to integrate. Huge sections of the Cybertruck are integrated into single pieces now. The body is a series of simple folded pieces of metal instead of complex designs made out of stamped and welded pieces of metal. The battery is designed from the ground up to be less expensive to manufacture.

They have completely different design goals. The Model 3 was meant to look like a nice $35,000 car. The whole point of the truck was to make it as affordable as possible.

If there is an elegance to the Cybertruck, that elegance is in its brutal cost efficiency. It will sell for $39k (when it eventually ships).

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
I noticed that too. I guess anything that rings political or depicts Biden in an unflattering way gets axed. It’s hard to discuss government incentives without actually mentioning the government.
Well I guess you made it political. "...or depicts Biden in an unflattering way".

Really? lol

jhogan2424

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Moped
Well I guess you made it political. "...or depicts Biden in an unflattering way".

Really? lol
I was referring to some of us taking jabs at him for not inviting Tesla to the event. But yes, really. In other news, The word “really“ was voted the most over used English word of 2020. It’s gotta be true I saw it on MTV.

Kevinb2

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Suzuki SX4 2009 sedan
Country flag
It's really odd to me that they proposed a 40k limit, especially when the average price of a new vehicle purchase is over 40k according to KBB. Electric vehicles under 40k will most likely forfeit specifications that a person will need/want. Range, cargo space, seating, and/or rear AC!

I hope that this this limit doesn't go into affect so people don't have to opt for limited or barebone cars.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
It's really odd to me that they proposed a 40k limit, especially when the average price of a new vehicle purchase is over 40k according to KBB. Electric vehicles under 40k will most likely forfeit specifications that a person will need/want. Range, cargo space, seating, and/or rear AC!
Limit not a mistake or oversight.

I hope that this this limit doesn't go into affect so people don't have to opt for limited or barebone cars.
That is the purpose. For hybrids to get most of the subsidies.

We have recent evidence of Toyota lobbying U.S. in effort handicap subsidy for full BEVs.

Legacy OEMs (Toyota, GM, Ford) want the field tilted to hybrids. The subsidies will help executive bonuses & gold pensions before the companies go bankrupt once pure BEV prices drop below ICE & hybrids.

This is just like with 2007-2009 recession where the people who caused the problem got bailed out and the taxpayers paid the bill.

Kevinb2

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Suzuki SX4 2009 sedan
Country flag
We have recent evidence of Toyota lobbying U.S. in effort handicap subsidy for full BEVs.
Tesla is pushing the gauntlet by putting out cars 3-5 years in the future, and is being held back by Priuses. :cautious:

Wasn't the main goal to go from pure ICE cars to zero-emission vehicles? A hybrid is just a stopgap solution, and a short scheme to keep selling on a product with a shelf life. Though on the flip side, this allows people to not worry about getting a small car with only 100-200 miles worth of total range on the best of days. People will still have range anxiety, and cheaper BEV cars are going to make that worse. I have thoughts about what could be better for everyone; but I'm not the ones in charge who are getting swayed by hand outs.

OP
OP

exdxgxe4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Tesla is pushing the gauntlet by putting out cars 3-5 years in the future, and is being held back by Priuses. :cautious:

Wasn't the main goal to go from pure ICE cars to zero-emission vehicles? A hybrid is just a stopgap solution, and a short scheme to keep selling on a product with a shelf life. Though on the flip side, this allows people to not worry about getting a small car with only 100-200 miles worth of total range on the best of days. People will still have range anxiety, and cheaper BEV cars are going to make that worse. I have thoughts about what could be better for everyone; but I'm not the ones in charge who are getting swayed by hand outs.
Well, EVs are a stop gap solution to hydrogen, which is a stop gap to air powered, which is a stop gap to alien technology, which is a stop gap to all us either being in the matrix, or the world ending from global warming.

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
It's a republican party written non binding bill... Essentially it's their opening bid response to the Biden ev credits already announced. Neither will be the final passed legislation. Both will compromise slightly and meet somewhere in the middle.

But that being said, i find it really ironic that they structure their ev tax credits to essentially reward non usa built ev models, given the majority of ev models built in the usa are above their vehicle cost cap.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
How do these guys pick their photos for their articles?

Tesla Cybertruck Not looking good for CT tax credit electric-car-europe-1600

It's US legislation, but the photo title is "electric car europe".

Not a single Tesla in there even though Tesla has significant market share in the EU.

Rick b

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Founders roadster, trimotor cybertruck
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
https://www.google.com/amp/s/electr...-limit-price-electric-cars-ev-tax-credit/amp/

Only the single motor cybertruck would qualify according to this article.
here’s some potential good news…I’m being told that this addition of the 40k max And income max Is proposed as part of the existing EV federal rebate program. Tesla and GM don’t comply with that anyway… This is not part of the new 3.5 T program. Let’s hope my sources are right
Sponsored