First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Does anyone know why the thread:

Biden Wants Extra Incentive For Union-Built Electric Cars—Which Would Exclude Teslas

is closed?

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Also, Does anyone know how the Point of Sale tax incentive works? You do not know how much you will be making the year you are making the purchase but you know how much you made last year. That makes me think your previous income determines if you qualify but it may not depends on your tax liability. Does anyone know how it works?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Does anyone know why the thread:

Biden Wants Extra Incentive For Union-Built Electric Cars—Which Would Exclude Teslas

is closed?
I posted a thread yesterday with a link to the same story as this thread and it was closed to comments immediately.

I think the mods are being super paranoid about political discussion.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
I posted a thread yesterday with a link to the same story as this thread and it was closed to comments immediately.

I was about to post in the thread too when I noticed closed right away.

yes, the highly debating question would be posted, do you spread peanut butter or jelly first? I do peanut butter.

jhogan2424

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Moped

I noticed that too. I guess anything that rings political or depicts Biden in an unflattering way gets axed. It’s hard to discuss government incentives without actually mentioning the government.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I noticed that too. I guess anything that rings political or depicts Biden in an unflattering way gets axed. It’s hard to discuss government incentives without actually mentioning the government.
I can't see how my post was remotely critical of Biden. Or anyone. It was pretty dry.

Don't understand this sentiment at all.

What makes you think this launch will be any different from the previous ones?

Tesla is often late. But they've always hit the price and performance numbers.

Jamessmooth007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
As unhappy as I am my Tri motor won't qualify, I get it. The idea is not to give incentives to those who can afford it. I don't think someone buying a Plaid Model S should get a 10k tax break. The single mother of 2 trying to make ends meet, while trying to get a new EV before California axes ICE by 2030, should.

I was about to post in the thread too when I noticed closed right away.

yes, the highly debating question would be posted, do you spread peanut butter or jelly first? I do peanut butter.
I do Jelly first. My niece is deathly allergic to peanuts and I'm scared she will come over one day and want a jelly sandwich :D

ctcyber

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 RAM 1500, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
This is clearly a case of lawmakers having their collective heads up their collective asses. 1) since when is $50 or $60K considered a luxury car? Yes there are certainly cars less than $40K but they would be bare minimum cars. 2) What EV cars are available under $40K - I don't know of any, but then again I don't look for them either. But if there are any, they would be very low range and small. 3) If an average family or 4 or 5 wants a car, they need something that can seat that many. That means, really something along the lines of a Model 3 or Y - neither of which is under $40K. 4) Since when is $100K / year rich? No it's not poverty level, but if you're at poverty level or slightly above you're not buying a new car anyway. I agree that they should not be subsidizing a Model S Plaid at $140K because if you're buying a $140K car you clearly don't need the incentive, but in the group of people that would be buying new cars, $100K income is NOT rich and a $50 or $60K car is NOT luxury!

I do think there should be an upper limit to the price of the car and maybe an upper limit on income for tax credit eligibility, but $40K / $100K is way too low. If anything there should be a limit of maybe $70K for vehicles. That would also take care of most of the income limit since the rich wouldn't be buying a $50K car anyway. If they truly want to expand EV's to the masses they NEED to include cars that the masses would be buying - not 2 seaters with 150 mile range!

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
The idea is not to give incentives to those who can afford it.
Let me play devil's advocate here for a second...

Is the purpose of the tax credit to increase the number of EV's on the road? Or is it to subsidize low income households? If it's to increase the number of EV's on the road I don't see why not give the incentive to everyone, rich or poor. If it's to subsidize low income households I think we can find a better way than a tax credit on EV's.

If a "rich" person is looking to buy a new high end pick up truck and he finds an ICE truck he likes for $65k and then he sees the Cybertruck and likes it but the one he likes is $70k, that tax incentive might push him toward the CT.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
This is clearly a case of lawmakers having their collective heads up their collective asses. 1) since when is $50 or $60K considered a luxury car? Yes there are certainly cars less than $40K but they would be bare minimum cars. 2) What EV cars are available under $40K - I don't know of any, but then again I don't look for them either. But if there are any, they would be very low range and small. 3) If an average family or 4 or 5 wants a car, they need something that can seat that many. That means, really something along the lines of a Model 3 or Y - neither of which is under $40K.
The Model 3 SR is $39k.

The Model Y SR when it came out was only $43k so pretty close.

The Bolt, Mustang Mach E, and Leaf are all under $40k.

Essentially 4 of the top 5 most popular EVs are under $40k. As is the base Cybertruck when it's available in 2027. Also, the price of manufacturing EVs is coming down.

For ICE vehicles, $50-60k is definitely premium/ luxury vehicle territory. EVs are more expensive at purchase though so a $50-60k limit would make more sense and open up a lot more of the "Family" sized EVs. That puts the Model Y in range, also includes the dual and single motor Cybertruck, and many F150 configurations.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Ladies and Gentlemen, this initiative to reduce the buying price of EV's to $40K is a political game. The way this is being written that nobody with an income over 100K will qualify and these low-priced EV's, is a way to limit tax losses to the Federal government. With those rules it is highly unlikely 10% of buyers would qualify for the full amount of $7500 even, let alone, $10,000. But also in addition to that, the only EV's under 40K are Kona, Niro, Bolt, Ionic, Leaf, and the Mini. So maybe 10% of all EV's currently sold.
So it's pretty easy to come to the conclusion this is a political game being played.
BTW, it's highly doubtful this will be passed by the House, let alone signed into law by Biden.

Last edited:

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
The Model 3 SR is $39k.

The Model Y SR when it came out was only $43k so pretty close.

The Bolt, Mustang Mach E, and Leaf are all under $40k.

Essentially 4 of the top 5 most popular EVs are under $40k. As is the base Cybertruck when it's available in 2027. Also, the price of manufacturing EVs is coming down.

For ICE vehicles, $50-60k is definitely premium/ luxury vehicle territory. EVs are more expensive at purchase though so a $50-60k limit would make more sense and open up a lot more of the "Family" sized EVs. That puts the Model Y in range, also includes the dual and single motor Cybertruck, and many F150 configurations.
I beg to differ, I have no idea where you come up with 4 of the 5 most popular EV's are
under $40K. Mach E starts at over $40K. Here's a list of all EV's by Car & Driver.
https://www.caranddriver.com/shopping-advice/g32463239/new-ev-models-us/

Edit: Tesla Model 3 sr is now only an off menu order. And hardly any get purchased. But here's a list of EV purchases this year. https://www.caranddriver.com/features/g36278968/best-selling-evs-of-2021/

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I beg to differ, I have no idea where you come up with 4 of the 5 most popular EV's are
under $40K. Mach E starts at over $40K. Here's a list of all EV's by Car & Driver.
https://www.caranddriver.com/shopping-advice/g32463239/new-ev-models-us/
Damnit. I always get the Mach E crossed up because it gets the existing credit where Tesla doesn't.

But your list reminded me.

Hyundai Ioniq and Kona are both under $40k and the Kona at least I've heard good things about.
Sponsored