Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
That reminded me to call my HOA to strengthen our perimeter fence because I will make mine climb a wall when I get.;)
Sponsored

MiguelAznar

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck 3-motor
Country flag
Once I've done a lap you can have a go in mine with me as spotter. That way we both get a thrill! Lol :eek:
Cybertruck gatherings / campouts will bring not only community but also vicarious enjoyment for those of us who’d love to watch our new friends pull off-road stunts when we’re still coddling our precious. Years ago, I think the Cybertruck Guy talked about organizing some of those.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Cybertruck gatherings / campouts will bring not only community but also vicarious enjoyment for those of us who’d love to watch our new friends pull off-road stunts when we’re still coddling our precious. Years ago, I think the Cybertruck Guy talked about organizing some of those.
Yes, he did. Haven't heard from him in quite a while but I'm hoping that once we start to see some delivery traction on the CT that CTTG or others will start getting events going. Would love to have events to go to.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
Just being able to see what’s in front of your truck will make the Cybertruck massively better at 4WD than any other truck.
A lot of vehicles, like my Gladiator, have front cameras with wheel path indicators just like the backup cameras. Very useful. If the CT doesn't have that, it will actually let you see less of the trail.

In my backyard playground, this matters, as it's common to crest a hill and either find a drop-off trail, or a drop-off cliff. One of my friends was with me on his first real off road ride, and we crested a hill. This was in an older Jeep with no camera. I said I was getting out to survey it. He said, "oh, you're fine, these hills go up and down everywhere." Get out. Cliff. Straight down 150-ish feet.

Tesla Cybertruck Off Road Dreaming 1664210832192

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
Oh, and I do expect the CT to absolutely smoke all stock off-roaders right now, EXCEPT for the part where it's crazy big. In my area, that's going to be a challenge of its own. Possibly made up for by the turning ability and crawling ability, but a new challenge/learning no matter what.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
LOL, that "cage" looks like what you'd get at Harbor Freight and won't help anything. The geometry is crazy, and it looks like it's made of small electrical conduit. Sheesh.

Deleted member 3316

LOL, that "cage" looks like what you'd get at Harbor Freight and won't help anything. The geometry is crazy, and it looks like it's made of small electrical conduit. Sheesh.
Yep, YTuber said it was only to hold the roof tent…

The custom suspension also looks more biased to aesthetics than ride quality….

Last edited by a moderator:

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
Yeah, but it does that poorly, because of the weird angles. It has a lot of coverage as if for armor, but not the angles to make the top sturdy. Crazy.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
A lot of vehicles, like my Gladiator, have front cameras with wheel path indicators just like the backup cameras. Very useful. If the CT doesn't have that, it will actually let you see less of the trail.

In my backyard playground, this matters, as it's common to crest a hill and either find a drop-off trail, or a drop-off cliff. One of my friends was with me on his first real off road ride, and we crested a hill. This was in an older Jeep with no camera. I said I was getting out to survey it. He said, "oh, you're fine, these hills go up and down everywhere." Get out. Cliff. Straight down 150-ish feet.

1664210832192.jpeg
Yep, a friend of mine rode his motorcycle up a steep dirt incline and flew over the top only to free-fall about 40' down to the bottom of a dried out lake bed. He had ridden up and over an old earthen dam. Put him in a wheelchair for life. ALWAYS know what you're about to crest, at a sane speed.
That's one of the main reasons why Matt's recovery has to go out and pick up so many heavily damaged Side-by-sides out in the dunes.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
This seems like a good place to link this ….

Trash talking aside, he was able to do some legit off roading with it.

Yeah, the cage was a bit goofy, maybe not the best quality suspension, but I‘d love to do that kind of stuff in my Y.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Oh, and I do expect the CT to absolutely smoke all stock off-roaders right now, EXCEPT for the part where it's crazy big. In my area, that's going to be a challenge of its own. Possibly made up for by the turning ability and crawling ability, but a new challenge/learning no matter what.
Yeah, Rubicon trail I think has some crazy skinny sections too_One of the big problems people had with the original Hummer off road is it’s size.

Deleted member 3316

Trash talking aside, he was able to do some legit off roading with it.

Yeah, the cage was a bit goofy, maybe not the best quality suspension, but I‘d love to do that kind of stuff in my Y.
Yep, YTuber said it was only to hold the roof tent…
That’s how I found it… searching for “off road model Y”.

I keep envisioning custom front and rear knuckles with a drop box built in. If it’s planned right the scrub point could be positioned to match the new tyre dimensions.

Question for the crowd… are the motors now mounted directly to the casting or is there still a cradle that a drop kit could be used to improve the approach, depart & break over angles?

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
That’s how I found it… searching for “off road model Y”.

I keep envisioning custom front and rear knuckles with a drop box built in. If it’s planned right the scrub point could be positioned to match the new tyre dimensions.

Question for the crowd… are the motors now mounted directly to the casting or is there still a cradle that a drop kit could be used to improve the approach, depart & break over angles?
From what I understand the motor casings are the same with or without casts. Those steering knuckles are the main reason you can't put larger tyres on.

Withthe lift kit the limiting factor will be CV joint angle on the driveshafys and how much wear you think is acceptable.
Sponsored