Anwar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S63, Qx60, ford Raptor
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
I know pricing is high but this is typical tesla they always start out high. And slowly work its way down over time. I sadly bought the model s refresh when it first came out and paid a premium now the same car it 30k less than 2 years ago.

Early adopters pay a premium. Just have patience
Sponsored

ED_SFO

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
In case you haven't noticed, it's been a freaking 4 years.
I think you totally missed the point of the original unveil in 2019....those prices were always fake...I've said it a bunch of times....Elon is a salesman...create hype with shock and awe with a $40k - $50k cybertruck...then bait and switch...classic.

I think 85% of people will ask for refunds at this pricing...what's 15% of 1.5 million...225,000 which would still take them 2-3 years to fulfill. So they were successful...then when demand slows...they pull 5-8k off sticker.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
The complaints & praise are both right:
  • Increasing prices 50%+ from announcement seems excessive if you pre-ordered for purpose of affordability
  • If you have the disposable income and wanted bells and whistles, you may feel even more "elite" if others are priced out
It's clear that the market has changed, but Elon isn't stupid. He said what he needed to attract maximum attention and then chose the path to maximize revenue.

Looking at the specs & price comparison side-by-side, seems like AWD is the obvious choice for 99% of people:
https://earlybird.club/news/cybertruck-specs-comparison/

The truck LOOKS cool, but does it lose its novelty if everyone has one? I think the originality and exclusivity is part of what appeals to people. Would people be as drawn to it if they were cheap and easy to get?

In short, Elon wants Tesla to be Apple, not Android, and he's pricing it accordingly.

I do wonder, though... if Elon didn't buy Twitter and still had that $40B+ cash, would anything have gone differently with Tesla/CT these past few years?

Revoltlution

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius (CyberSlug)
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
If you ever thought that the Cybertruck was going to be made for the common man, I'm not sure what to tell ya.

But to put it in perspective, a toyota tundra TRD Pro STARTS at 72k.
to your point, it's like they just priced it to match the high-end competition. Can't blame them. :(

Jager

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model 3 LR AWD, Several Motorcycles
Country flag
Disappointed, but not shocked.

I'll hang onto my (400Kish) reservation for awhile, since I expect today's prices will quickly chill all that pent-up demand for the CT. Still, the ramp will be slow and even with that washout of interest, it'll be some time before my number comes up.

I do think prices of the CT will come down, down the road. Probably not soon enough to recapture most of the folks that Elon lost today, though.

I purchased a new Model 3 LR AWD in early 2022, once it became clear the CT - and my 400K number - was still some years out. My plan was to sell that when the CT finally showed up. I'm thinking now I'll just keep the Model 3 and buy something like a Ford Maverick to cover the light pickup chores.

We shall see.

Revoltlution

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius (CyberSlug)
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Not sure I agree. I don’t think the value is there. I placed my order based on price and specs at revel. None of those specs or prices were remotely accurate.
Agreed... lower range, lower payload, no ramp, 5 seater, plastic bed liner... they had to put mirror on it #yuck
---> with a 60% price increase

Last edited:

rudedawg78

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired USAF, Emergency Manager
Country flag
I don't know, I think having a fully customizable vehicle sounds pretty rad. The range extender might be something that can be rented/shared owners when needed. Less weight when you don't need the range. Maybe it doubles as a baby powerwall in other uses?
I am hoping it is something that can be easily removed and can just be put in the CT bed in preparation for long trips. I like your thought process that it could also maybe serve other uses like a powerwall.

rudedawg78

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired USAF, Emergency Manager
Country flag
Sure, for some it could be useful to have a modular extra battery pack put into and removed from the bed.

Speaking for myself, it’s a no go for me. Edit to add, Elon says it takes up 1/3 of the bed.

IMG_4252.jpeg
How heavy is this thing and can it be easily removed and installed by one person?