Planning ahead for Cybertruck release date (2024-2027)

Tokyo Dreaming

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
This will be my scenario. Let me know if my dates/pre-order/post-availability of CT is correct:

in 2019, I preordered the CT a week or so after CT announcement came out. Last time I checked, I was approx. #400k/1.5-2M preorders (in the unofficial tracker system). I understand many who preordered will not purchase their CT. I preordered the cheaper version but upon learning the Tri/Dual motor was going to be manufactured/released about a year earlier than the cheaper version, I altered (not made a new) pre-order to the Dual reservation. However I am pleasantly happy CT has not come out yet.....

Fast forward to 2023. I accepted a job in Italy and will be moving there for 3years. I expect to return to USA in 2026-2027. NOW I want the Cybertruck to (selfishly) come out whenever I return to USA, or at least very close to it. I do NOT want a Cybertruck in Italy, nor do I want to lose my pre-order IF indeed it does come out 2024-2025.

I'm hoping the single/RWD version, may be released around late 2025-2027. If so, no worries, I am in the clear. I will switch my CT version back to the single/RWD version (if it is the version that will come out last). If it comes out in 2025/2026, I will still go through with my pre-order and have one of my family members (with a big driveway/space) to pick this up for me/park it/drive it (gently) until I return to pick it up. If it comes out in 2027 I should easily be back and pickup myself.

"Why don't you just cancel your preorder and buy one comfortably when you return?" My (realistic) fear is if I do this, I obviously lose my spot in line, and I expect demand for this truck to be HIGH post release. So If I return in 2026 (and fail to purchase one IF it comes in 2025/2026), I feel the wait for non-preoders will be in the 2028s+. Look at how in-demand Rivian and the other electric cars in the market are....I will DEFINITELY need a car/truck when I return to the USA around 2026-2027.

So any flaws in the above? Anyone think contrary to the popularity of CT post release and to not worry about pre-order status? Do I still have (projected) dates of the CT Single/Dual/Tri versions somewhat correct? And also, is there any issue with having my CT delivered/picked up by someone other than me (who will be the purchaser)? Sure they can be on the registration, insurance, etc.

Was hoping to get more info from investor day yesterday but obviously that didn't happen. Thanks All!
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
When you number comes up (probably in late 2024-2025), choose a model that's not available yet. That will delay your delivery.

Make sure to keep checking it so they don't expire your model and order, but they'll generally let you switch models to manage your delivery date.

Beyond that, you can have them deliver it to a third party to store it.

-Crissa

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
When you number comes up (probably in late 2024-2025), choose a model that's not available yet. That will delay your delivery.

Make sure to keep checking it so they don't expire your model and order, but they'll generally let you switch models to manage your delivery date.

Beyond that, you can have them deliver it to a third party to store it.

-Crissa
I'll store it for you