CyberTally

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 M3P, 2023 MYLR, CT DM AWD delivered 3/6/24
Occupation
Tree Farmer, Retired Computer Scientist, AP CS Instructor, Embedded Control Designer, Electrical Contractor
Country flag
I purchased a Tesla Cybertruck in Jacksonville FL on 03/06/2024. [I LOVE IT!!!]

I met with my county Tax Collector this afternoon who exposed the following issues.

The Application for Certificate of Motor Vehicle Title correctly declares the Body as "TK" and the vehicle weight as 6669 pounds.

The following items on my Florida Vehicle Registration are in error and are inconsistent with the Title Application:
  • BODY is listed as "PK" (Truck 5,000 pounds or less), should be "TK" (Truck more than 5,000 pounds)
  • NET WEIGHT is listed a 4100, should be 6669 (pounds)
  • Class Code is listed as 31 (Truck 5,000 pounds or less), should be 41 (Truck more than 5,000 pounds)
  • Initial Registration Fee listed as $225.00, should be $0.00
The Initial Registration Fee is "Imposed upon the initial application for the registration of private automobiles, trucks 5,000 lbs. or less and motor homes." The Tesla Cybertruck has a Net Weight of 6,669 pounds.

I have contacted Tesla regarding this matter.

Please reply if you find the same errors on your Florida Vehicle Registration.
Sponsored

CyberRich

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 FS CT AWD, 2019 M3, 2018 M3, 2015 MS 70D
Country flag
Thanks for the heads up. Taking delivery in FL soon. What is the consequence of this error?

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1 Million Miles on ICE Toyotas, Waiting for CT

I met with my county Tax Collector this afternoon who exposed the following issues.

The Application for Certificate of Motor Vehicle Title correctly declares the Body as "TK" and the vehicle weight as 6669 pounds.

The following items on my Florida Vehicle Registration are in error and are inconsistent with the Title Application:
  • BODY is listed as "PK" (Truck 5,000 pounds or less), should be "TK" (Truck more than 5,000 pounds)
  • Class Code is listed as 31 (Truck 5,000 pounds or less), should be 41 (Truck more than 5,000 pounds)
The Initial Registration Fee is "Imposed upon the initial application for the registration of private automobiles, trucks 5,000 lbs. or less and motor homes." The Tesla Cybertruck has a Net Weight of 6,669 pounds.

In Jacksonville myself and making the decision on FS or not soon, did you go to the Yates branch office? I found the one on Mandarin to be much more accommodating in the past, what did they tell you were next steps?

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Jimbo Ringo

First Name
Jimbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Occupation
Marketing
Country flag

My paperwork is good but thanks so much for the heads up!

OP
OP
CyberTally

CyberTally

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tree Farmer, Retired Computer Scientist, AP CS Instructor, Embedded Control Designer, Electrical Contractor
Country flag
In Jacksonville myself and making the decision on FS or not soon, did you go to the Yates branch office? I found the one on Mandarin to be much more accommodating in the past, what did they tell you were next steps?
https://maps.app.goo.gl/TMrx6YE333Mp3JfZ7?g_st=ic
I found both the Tesla delivery and service personnel in Jacksonville to be outstanding; professional, knowledgeable, and customer oriented.

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
https://maps.app.goo.gl/TMrx6YE333Mp3JfZ7?g_st=ic
I found both the Tesla delivery and service personnel in Jacksonville to be outstanding; professional, knowledgeable, and customer oriented.
Ah very nice, I was there on Fri to take yet another look at the CT, and of course but the nice staff to take a look at my Reservation # and give me any info they could.
Hope to see you driving around Jacksonville assuming you are from the area!

OP
OP
CyberTally

CyberTally

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I thought it would be helpful to share the Original Registration that I received with my Cybertruck at the time of delivery and the Corrected Registration that I received after making Tesla aware of the errors.

Note the following differences:
1. The document title is FLORIDA TRUCK/TRACTOR REGISTRATION.
2. The registration expires on December 31, not your birth month/day.
3. Body Type is TK.
4. NET (Empty) WEIGHT is 6669 for Dual Motor AWD Cybertruck.
5. GROSS VEHICLE WEIGHT is 9169, Empty weight (6669) plus Payload (2500).
6. Class Code is 41.
7. The Registration Tax is based on the number of months until Expiration.
8. The Initial Registration Fee is "Imposed upon the the initial application for registration of trucks 5,000 lbs. or less." Cybertrucks weigh more than 5,000 pounds!

If your registration doesn't show "TRUCK/TRACTOR" at the top, your registration is incorrect and you paid too much!

See the attached PDF.

Attachments

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I thought it would be helpful to share the Original Registration that I received with my Cybertruck at the time of delivery and the Corrected Registration that I received after making Tesla aware of the errors.

Note the following differences:
1. The document title is FLORIDA TRUCK/TRACTOR REGISTRATION.
2. The registration expires on December 31, not your birth month/day.
3. Body Type is TK.
4. NET (Empty) WEIGHT is 6669 for Dual Motor AWD Cybertruck.
5. GROSS VEHICLE WEIGHT is 9169, Empty weight (6669) plus Payload (2500).
6. Class Code is 41.
7. The Registration Tax is based on the number of months until Expiration.
8. The Initial Registration Fee is "Imposed upon the the initial application for registration of trucks 5,000 lbs. or less." Cybertrucks weigh more than 5,000 pounds!

If your registration doesn't show "TRUCK/TRACTOR" at the top, your registration is incorrect and you paid too much!

See the attached PDF.
$299 vs $117 big difference, nice of you to share detailed info!

TESLouwhoA

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Red MYLR, 2023 Blue MYLR, 2024 CT(02/29/24)
Country flag

Identical errors on my CT picked up from Jax on 2/29/2024. Noted that pending title (viewed on FLHSMV web) was initially also listed with Net Weight of 4100 but was corrected on 3/18/2024 to reflect 6669 Net Weight. Title status is still “Pending dealer transaction” - typically takes about one month to become “Active”. This is our sixth Tesla purchase and I tend to expect something ‘new and fun’ with each delivery. The vehicles always make up for any idiosyncrasies at delivery and in time overpayments for registrations have been refunded. I am still cracked up at the CT weight being listed at 4100 when the model Y weighs 4364! Thanks for the post of your corrected registration.
Sponsored