John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
yea but, why... is it really going to help with anything?
My guess, and I stress GUESS, Elon wished he was born in the Future an instead of accepting, he is building the future today. He is really just a person fantasizing about utopian futures.
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Putting on my cynical hat here.

There is little to no benefit to users. Replacing the stalks with buttons and touch screen controls is almost certainly a cost savings measure by Tesla.

What is it going to help? It's going to help keep the cost of the truck what Tesla advertised it as.

Billyboy

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra, Honda CRV
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yoke with variable turning ratio is great for fast race cars on a track. Too bad as Tesla does not have variable turning ratio.

Have U watched people driving with a MS yoke in round-a-bouts or trying to park?

Imagine trying to find a moving horn button, in an emergency, in a turn.

I want a round steering wheel with a big horn in the middle!!!

Billyboy

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra, Honda CRV
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
As Tom Moloughney said
Yoke with variable turning ratio is great for fast race cars on a track. Too bad as Tesla does not have variable turning ratio.

Have U watched people driving with a MS yoke in round-a-bouts or trying to park?

Imagine trying to find a moving horn button, in an emergency, in a turn.

I want a round steering wheel with a big horn in the middle!!!
Quote from Tom Moloughney:
“Any change to the steering wheel needs to be an improvement in functionality, not a gimmick”

OP
OP
Mikutow

Mikutow

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Have you watched DirtyTesla’s FSD beta videos from last winter. He lives in the sticks in Michigan and did several videos showing FSD doing fine in snow on dirt roads. Before going further with snow as an argument you might watch those videos.

I am for the yoke with one reservation and that is the turn sensitivity especially while backing up a trailer or boat. I suppose Tesla may provide some FSD-like feature to help but, sight unseen, it seems that the yoke as it stands might make this a challenge.
Thanks for sharing these vids. Ideally FSD will work perfectly in all conditions. That's the dream right? Would love to have it!

OP
OP
Mikutow

Mikutow

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Professional driving instructors now recommend against the 10 and 2 position in favor of the 9 and 3 position. Your potential face/neck/wrist injuries in a crash are dependent upon where you are holding the wheel at the time of impact, not everyone else. So I'm not sure why you brought that up. :unsure:
The only reason I brought that up was because I was replying to Crissa who explained the danger of driving with your had rested on top of the steering wheel. ( A position that I find comfortable when driving long distances) Whether it is 10-2 or 9-3, I would argue that not too many people choose to drive with their hands glued in those positions 100% of the time. With a yoke, it seems like ya pretty much have to, let alone hand over hand turning just looks uncomfortable... I mean yokes are cool looking and all, but practicality purposes maybe not.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
And that is a fallacy. If you want proof, simply weld a small bead so the handlebars cannot leave the straight ahead position. Not only can you not make a turn, you cannot even ride it in a straight line without falling over!
A human can't, because we need to make minute balance adjustments... But if you put a gyroscope atop it, it would be controllable by the gyroscope's angle of deflection.

If you put it on a harness and added a tilting weight, it will also turn by leaning.

Motorcycles are weird ^-^

-Crissa

Reactions: Woo

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
Ummm, I'm thinking you haven't been paying attention to the advantages that have been identified:

1) Safety (it's impossible to grip the yoke in a position that would eject your wrists into your face).

2) Ergonomics (there is no longer a need to adjust steering height to the only position that allows the driver to see the gages). It can be adjusted to the height that is least likely to be a literal pain-in-the-neck on a long drive.x

3) Visibility (creates a more open, airy feeling in the cabin with a better view of everything above the steering column).

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
2) Ergonomics (there is no longer a need to adjust steering height to the only position that allows the driver to see the gages). It can be adjusted to the height that is least likely to be a literal pain-in-the-neck on a long drive.x
What gauges?

Do you know something we don't?

I just figured it's so short people could see out the front window.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
What gauges?

Do you know something we don't?

I just figured it's so short people could see out the front window.
Haha, no. I was listing the advantages people that are using the yoke in the current Model S have found. But if you wanted to put gauges in the Cybertruck there will be aftermarket kits that will make it easy and the best place for them would be right in front of the yoke.

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
Putting on my cynical hat here.

There is little to no benefit to users. Replacing the stalks with buttons and touch screen controls is almost certainly a cost savings measure by Tesla.

What is it going to help? It's going to help keep the cost of the truck what Tesla advertised it as.
Agreed, the lack of stalks is definitely a cost saving measure, just like removing the binnacle.

However a yoke vs. a round steering wheel provides no meaningful cost savings.

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
I did. But I'm training myself out of it, now that I know it's a bad idea. I definitely do not sit my hand atop the wheel! Mostly they talk about thumbs-in causing injuries, so holding it with the heel of your thumb seems ideal.

-Crissa
Ah, yoke or wheel, @Crissa brings up a good point about "thumbs".

I teach high performance driving. Clients bring their sports cars to the race track and want to learn the proper techniques to handle a car at speed.

In advanced sessions, I tell my clients that in imminent impact, let go of the wheel, cross arms and grab the harnesses with your hands.

So many people "stiff arm" the wheel on impact, basically freezing, bracing for impact. Absolutely not the thing to do on impact.

The average driver does not have the clarity to react like this in an accident. HDPE participants and racers are supposed to.

chalupacabre

First Name
chalupacabre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 T3LR/DM
Occupation
vetter
Country flag
Personally I do a lot of driving with my hand resting on the top of the steering wheel. I prefer a wheel for comfort factor. Really hope the yoke isn't the only option.

Also, I live in a place that gets big time snow most of the year, so FSD won't really work. :/

Love everything else about the CT! Gonna be a badass overland adventure rig for me!

Anyone else gonna be driving this thing in heavy snow? Cheers.
Stick either on CT and I'll buy yesterday.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Agreed, the lack of stalks is definitely a cost saving measure, just like removing the binnacle.

However a yoke vs. a round steering wheel provides no meaningful cost savings.
I haven't priced it. The yoke does seem to have more surface area and less clutter than the wheels I've seen with this many controls on it though.
Sponsored