Regular Steering Wheel or Yoke?

• Total voters

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
Thank you for this, lol. But seriously, no one drives 10 and 2 at all times.
Professional driving instructors now recommend against the 10 and 2 position in favor of the 9 and 3 position. Your potential face/neck/wrist injuries in a crash are dependent upon where you are holding the wheel at the time of impact, not everyone else. So I'm not sure why you brought that up. :unsure:
Sponsored

Reactions: Woo

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm hoping that by the time the CT, HW4 and FSD are all released then the yoke will be preferable since level 5 autonomous driving should be upon us for all but the most fringe of cases. Hopefully the opt for hands free at that point so that the yoke will just be decorative and more out of the way than a wheel would be.
It's hard to judge the effectiveness of a yoke until you have experience driving a car with as few turns lock-to-lock as a Tesla Model 3 or Model Y. Almost no cars do and many people who throw shade on the yoke don't have experience driving such responsive steering systems.

With such small steering wheel inputs translating to so much responsiveness of the steering rack, a round wheel becomes largely pointless even without FSD. It does require some re-learning of muscle memory but, fortunately, humans do this naturally and it doesn't take very long for most people.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Professional driving instructors now recommend against the 10 and 2 position in favor of the 9 and 3 position. Your potential face/neck/wrist injuries in a crash are dependent upon where you are holding the wheel at the time of impact, not everyone else. So I'm not sure why you brought that up. :unsure:
Funny thing about this... my Model Y more or less forces me into 10 and 2 or a very awkward 8 and 4 position. The crossbars are thick and right across the 9 and 3 position.

The Yoke is doubling down on the 8 and 4 position.

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
It's hard to judge the effectiveness of a yoke until you have experience driving a car with as few turns lock-to-lock as a Tesla Model 3 or Model Y. Almost no cars do and many people who throw shade on the yoke don't have experience driving such responsive steering systems.

With such small steering wheel inputs translating to so much responsiveness of the steering rack, a round wheel becomes largely pointless even without FSD. It does require some re-learning of muscle memory but, fortunately, humans do this naturally and it doesn't take very long for most people.
I'm used to a motorcycle, sometimes the bars don't even need to move for a turn, haha.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
it will in my mind, and didnt Elon say its all an illusion anyway :unsure:
You never know, maybe by the time the Cybertruck is launched Tesla will have moved on from yokes and we'll control the truck the same as we do a Segway and just lean to control it.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm used to a motorcycle, sometimes the bars don't even need to move for a turn, haha.
And that is a fallacy. If you want proof, simply weld a small bead so the handlebars cannot leave the straight ahead position. Not only can you not make a turn, you cannot even ride it in a straight line without falling over!

The handlebars have to move a little bit to make a turn and maintain balance. They might not move in the direction most people expect and you might be able to cause them to move without putting your hands on the bar and physically turning them, but they must move.

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
Don’t care, will adapt to either. If drive by wire progressive steering, I would want the yoke.

if a option, picking cheaper option if no features are dependent. I don’t think there Will be a factory option.
Agree.

Yoke not so "handy" if it has to rotate all the way (full circle plus). But if it has good progressive steering (for instance, at low road speeds a quarter-turn would be full lock to that side but at high speeds you'd correct your direction with only a few degrees of rotation) I'd much prefer the yoke. If you flew planes you'd understand.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
are you sure you did not out slight pressure to turn wheel to the right to fear left? Motorcycles were invented by the same people who made New Jersey roads, make a right to go left.

Cybertruck Hawaii

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have no preference for a regular steering wheel or a yoke just as long as the vehicle will pass a safety check in Hawaii.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
I have no preference for a regular steering wheel or a yoke just as long as the vehicle will pass a safety check in Hawaii.
Tape a piece of cardboard to make a circular steering wheel and pass the inspection. Don’t use duct tape or it will be permanent.

Cybertruck Hawaii

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
A yoke steering wheel will feel weird for a while until I can get used to it. So, don’t worry about the people who are complaining about it right now. They will also acclimate to the yoke steering wheel.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
A yoke steering wheel will feel weird for a while until I can get used to it. So, don’t worry about the people who are complaining about it right now. They will also acclimate to the yoke steering wheel.
yea but, why... is it really going to help with anything?

Riptide

First Name
Roland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps
Country flag
I did. But I'm training myself out of it, now that I know it's a bad idea. I definitely do not sit my hand atop the wheel! Mostly they talk about thumbs-in causing injuries, so holding it with the heel of your thumb seems ideal.

-Crissa
The State of California now recommends 3 & 9. The change from 10/2 is due to power steering now being standard.
Sponsored