Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hoping to be a Cybertruck owner.
Occupation
FMEA Coordinator
Country flag
I was watching a movie last night and there was an EMP blast that took out all the electronics. Does an EMP fry circuit boards?

I'm not sure how that works, but would it be possible to have EMP protection on the Cybertruck in case that happened? That would be really awesome if it did. I'm not an expert, but does "lead" protect EMP's?
Sponsored

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
I was watching a movie last night and there was an EMP blast that took out all the electronics. Does an EMP fry circuit boards?

I'm not sure how that works, but would it be possible to have EMP protection on the Cybertruck in case that happened? That would be really awesome if it did. I'm not an expert, but does "lead" protect EMP's?
EMP does, indeed, fry circuit boards. EMP protection isn't very simple and turning off electronics before a blast (Think the movie "Broken Arrow") doesn't help. The Xrays will shove a butt-ton of electrons through the circuitry. A thick wire mesh that is grounded will help prevent EMP damage but it's tricky to maintain and typically, windows will let it in anyway.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
EMP is an Electro Magnetic Pulse i.e. a burst in which energy is continuously being passed back and forth between an electric and a magnetic field. Those fields can induce current flow in conductors hence the potential to damage, for example, delicate micro circuits such as those on chips. A manufacturer of electronics must, in today's world, protect against many forms of EMP such as, for example, nearby lightening strikes and they do so. The electronics in our cars are certainly protected, and well protected, from many forms of EMI (Electro Magnetic Interference) and are designed to prevent radiation of EMI as well. I wouldn't worry too much about EMP damage to your truck unless it is fairly close to a nuclear blast in which case I don't think EMP would be your main worry.

Hunter Sawyer

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Construction Worker
Country flag
EMP is an Electro Magnetic Pulse i.e. a burst in which energy is continuously being passed back and forth between an electric and a magnetic field. Those fields can induce current flow in conductors hence the potential to damage, for example, delicate micro circuits such as those on chips. A manufacturer of electronics must, in today's world, protect against many forms of EMP such as, for example, nearby lightening strikes and they do so. The electronics in our cars are certainly protected, and well protected, from many forms of EMI (Electro Magnetic Interference) and are designed to prevent radiation of EMI as well. I wouldn't worry too much about EMP damage to your truck unless it is fairly close to a nuclear blast in which case I don't think EMP would be your main worry.
Isn't the Cybertruck glass Thermonuclear Blast proof as well?

Jedat

First Name
JE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Good old gas gusslers
Country flag
Faraday’s Cage!

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag

Powerful EMP is very difficult to produce. It requires 100s of thousands of watts and really is only destructive from a nuclear bomb or from natural sources like solar plasma. EMP bombs typically have a small effective range, nothing like what is depicted in movies.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Um... not true. I've been working in the field for about 26 years now...
Really? By small I meant less than 1 kilometer radius. And destructive means equipment is non functional after the pulse. Are you saying this is an actual thing I should worry about?

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
Really? By small I meant less than 1 kilometer radius. And destructive means equipment is non functional after the pulse. Are you saying this is an actual thing I should worry about?
Not unless my job suddenly becomes VERY busy!

• Haha
Reactions: Geo

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag

CyberASL?

First Name
Michael J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XA40, BNR32
Country flag
SED and Linus looked into OG space computers and how they are EMP resistant

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag

Woodworker

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyber Truck
Occupation
TxDOT Highway Contractor
Country flag

I think Elon Musk should be capable to build a device even if he has to encapsulate the circuit boards and other devices in case of an EMP Pulse. He battles against Radiation and all kinds of other elements in Space that have to go into protecting the Astronauts.
This guy can do anything! And he is into all of our different cultures and considers everything possible before moving forward. IE: Zombie Apocalypse. Hahaha, I love this guy, he is truly amazing.

Gvardaman

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW 330ci, VW Corrado (non-op)
Occupation
Country flag
Well, when I placed my order, I chose the Radiation and Plasma Protection option (an extra $6800) which will “...withstand radiation exposure up to 410 rad and EMP pulse protection up to 45+ dB hardening thru 7.2 GHz. “
Didn’t you guys choose that? After the engine options, before the full self-driving.

EDIT: looks like it was taken down. Maybe it was only available to a limited number of people or thy are revising the option? Maybe I made this up? ;-) This is an interesting discussion though.
Sponsored

Last edited: