OP
BillyGee

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
Do you HAVE to trade-in the truck to buy the Model Y? If not, what's the harm in having both vehicles for awhile. After the partner gets comfortable with the Y, then you sell the truck.
Unfortunately, yes, there's not an easy way to make it work financially without selling.

There's also the argument with the wife of "do you really need two?" Which will be a hard sell since I also have a motorcycle parked in the garage.
Sponsored

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Unfortunately, yes, there's not an easy way to make it work financially without selling.

There's also the argument with the wife of "do you really need two?" Which will be a hard sell since I also have a motorcycle parked in the garage.
In that scenario, I advise a test drive with Tesla. Especially since you ordered one and your partner isn't sold on the idea, buying sight unseen and without his approval may not be a good plan.

OP
OP
BillyGee

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
In that scenario, I advise a test drive with Tesla. Especially since you ordered one and your partner isn't sold on the idea, buying sight unseen and without his approval may not be a good plan.
He is under the impression that only trucks are capable of being worked out of. As someone who is hand delivered parts on motorcycle, worked out of the back of my fiance's civic, and traveled all over the country working out of rental cars with a pelican case, I know this to not be the case.

Regardless, he lives two states over and doesn't really have a say in the day-to-day operations.

Klaxon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT
Country flag
Having the labels and logos on the Y would change perception. People would see the message first than the car.
But think well what kind of message you are sending.
I mean your avatar. Do you plan to reuse it?

OP
OP
BillyGee

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
Having the labels and logos on the Y would change perception. People would see the message first than the car.
But think well what kind of message you are sending.
I mean your avatar. Do you plan to reuse it?
My avatar is for funsies. I have a company logo that I was planning to put on the doors in vinyl.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
If you drove to my business to fix something I am not looking out the door to see what you arrived in. Don’t care. In the last 3 weeks I have had the dishwasher repaired, air ducts cleaned, furnace and air conditioner installed and I never noticed any vehicle except for the HVAC install because I had to move my car so they could get the equipment in the house.

Can you do the job right? Can you get to me fast? Are you competent? Are you going to rip me off? These things I care about. I don’t care if you come in a clown car.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
If you drove to my business to fix something I am not looking out the door to see what you arrived in. Don’t care. In the last 3 weeks I have had the dishwasher repaired, air ducts cleaned, furnace and air conditioner installed and I never noticed any vehicle except for the HVAC install because I had to move my car so they could get the equipment in the house.

Can you do the job right? Can you get to me fast? Are you competent? Are you going to rip me off? These things I care about. I don’t care if you come in a clown car.
That's mostly true for me too but I'm probably not going to hire a guy if he shows up in a brand new $80K jacked 4x4 pickup truck with monster mudders and a pair of furry dice dangling from the mirror. :ROFLMAO:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The only way I see someone judging you is if you have to cram your equipment in there and unloading it looks like a bunch of clowns coming out of a clown car. If the equipment fits then it's a non-issue. Just make sure it's white and has your company logo on the side. Boring, but professional as it gets.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Well, if your logo has a catchy color, if you can get the car in a matching color, I do like that ^-^

I always look forward to seeing the bright-yellow of the plumber's van, or the pink of the cupcake van, or, well, it doesn't matter. ^-^

Also, putting something on the roof is cool, too. Especially on a shorter vehicle.

-Crissa

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
That's mostly true for me too but I'm probably not going to hire a guy if he shows up in a brand new $80K jacked 4x4 pickup truck with monster mudders and a pair of furry dice dangling from the mirror. :ROFLMAO:
Depends on the business. If it is a custom 4x4 shop the driver is promoting, then that fits perfectly.

What if he drives up with an $80,000 (Trimotor - $69.900, $10,000 FSD) CT that is air-lifted to maximum height, has monster mudders and fuzzy dice? Does your opinion change?

Last edited:

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Depends on the business. If it is a custom 4x4 shop the driver is promoting, then that fits perfectly.

What is he drives up with an $80,000 (Trimotor - $69.900, $10,000 FSD) CT that is air lifted to maximum height, has monster mudders and fuzzy dice? Does your opinion change?
Fuzzy dice are OK.

My opinion changes (not for the better) if it has truck nuts hanging from the tow hitch (or rear-view mirror :)

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

car, truck and BMW motorcycle......sold truck........will trade or sell MS for new CT3 since wife likes her M3 too mucj=h and wont take the MS

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
The small trailer I saw in NY wine country seems like a rational option also, if needed.

When I had an air conditioner capacitor replaced last year, the guy showed up in a Prius. Doing minor work like that does not require a "work truck." Please go ahead and save on fuel and pass on the savings in a reduced bill.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag

Can your equipment fit on the back of the motorcycle? If so, you could get a Zero and then **BAM** one vehicle dude.

Ok more seriously. Have you ordered your Model Y yet? Because if you haven't you should soon, if/ when the new incentives kick in there is going to be a land rush for Teslas. You can think about it while you wait for your car.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
My company sends field service engineers all over the country. We fly to the airport, rent a car and drive to the hotel and to the customer plant. One of my colleagues had rented so many cars that he was able to get multiple free upgrades. Our boss got a call from the customer complaining that we are getting paid to much because we're coming to work in Cadillacs.
Sponsored