ProtectaClear Before and After Photos / Results

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
Thanks for posting the video!

It makes it very clear on how to prepare the surface and apply the product.
Sponsored

Diveflyfish

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 BMW 335d
Country flag
For the collective good of the CT community, Iā€™m going to re-post this information from ideaXfactory every time I see someone recommend Windex for stainless steel:
Here is something that might be worth reading. NH4 at the concentration in Windex 5.6 to 7.5% may not be that ā€œencouragingā€ to develop rustā€¦.at the temps most of us will encounterā€¦.. unless of course one is cleaning the CT during the next Carrington Event in the middle of Summer in San Antonio which is only slightly cooler than the surface of the Sunā€¦..
https://super-metals.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/article_17thoct.pdf

DMC-81

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Transformers Camaro SS, 1985 Corvette Z51, Dodge Magnum R/T, 1981 DeLorean, CT reservation
Country flag
Here is something that might be worth reading. NH4 at the concentration in Windex 5.6 to 7.5% may not be that ā€œencouragingā€ to develop rustā€¦.at the temps most of us will encounterā€¦.. unless of course one is cleaning the CT during the next Carrington Event in the middle of Summer in San Antonio which is only slightly cooler than the surface of the Sunā€¦..
Still, the manufacturer of Windex recommends an ammonia free version of their product for stainless steel.
As Iā€™ve posted before, (and even if you use an ammonia free version), the DeLorean Club of Florida found that continued use of Windex leaves a film buildup. A haze develops and it looks awful.

To each their own though. I know my Cybertruck will be maintained the same way as I maintained my DeLorean for the past 11 years. It works for me, and Iā€™ve never used Windex on it, not even on the windows. There are better products for that use case.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
Sheila Shine.

Iā€™s the professional cleaners secret for polishing/cleaning stainless steel appliances. The company doesnā€™t advertise so you probably never heard of it.

• PROTECTS SURFACES FROM FINGERPRINTS & GREASE - Sheila Shine Stainless Steel Cleaner and Polish creates a protective coating after being applied to stainless steel and aluminum surfaces. The protective coating is fingerprint resistant and it will also protect the surface from grease and other nasty marks, stains, and substances

I canā€™t comment on how well it works on Teslaā€˜s SS (no CT yet) but I have not found a better formula for cleaning SS appliances in the kitchen. It works much better than WD-40, my prior go to.

TIP: a little goes a long way. The product is also sold in aerosol cans.

https://www.amazon.com/Sheila-Shine-Stainless-Cleaner-Polish/dp/B002XK0KNC/ref=sr_1_4_sspa?crid=3KNPEJ01JX4S3&keywords=sheila+shine+stainless+steel+cleaner&qid=1707669478&sprefix=Sheila+,aps,193&sr=8-4-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

0BE92461-F206-47F2-AC1E-1650879FAB76.jpeg

Last edited:

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1 Million Miles on ICE Toyotas, Waiting for CT
We are extremely happy with the results! We waited about a day, a few notes -
  • In the first video, you can see before how easy it is to get fingerprints on the cybertruck - and it's not that easy to remove them.
  • In the second video, you can see after the Protecta Clear has been applied - no fingerprints!
In addition to protecting against fingerprints, it will also protect against , corrosion, rust, etc. The kit includes everything you need, from the Protecta Clear itself, to gloves, microfiber cloths, and more.

Thank you Jackie and the whole @ProtectaClear team!

First video, before with water spots and fingerprints -

Second video, after applying Protecta Clear -

That certainly looks VERY promising for reducing the impact of fingerprints!

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1 Million Miles on ICE Toyotas, Waiting for CT
  • In the first video, you can see before how easy it is to get fingerprints on the cybertruck - and it's not that easy to remove them.
  • In the second video, you can see after the Protecta Clear has been applied - no fingerprints!
In addition to protecting against fingerprints, it will also protect against , corrosion, rust, etc. The kit includes everything you need, from the Protecta Clear itself, to gloves, microfiber cloths, and more.

First video, before with water spots and fingerprints -

Second video, after applying Protecta Clear -

Any chance for a follow-up video on the door panel after a week or so?

Looks super promising.

Also some pictures of the whole truck under differently lighting conditions would be nice to see.

hridge2020

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
Aircraft Fixed/Rotary - Rocket/Missile/Spacecraft/Air Defense Scientist
Country flag

Wildfortune

First Name
Denise
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordered Tri-motor C/T to replace my Ford Edge
Occupation
Retired to a Hobby Farm
Country flag
For the collective good of the CT community, Iā€™m going to re-post this information from ideaXfactory every time I see someone recommend Windex for stainless steel:
Can you please recommend a product that actually removes fingerprints from stainless steel? I watched Out of Spec Detail, where he exhausted various products to no avail, except Windex. I will share your answer with him.

DMC-81

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Transformers Camaro SS, 1985 Corvette Z51, Dodge Magnum R/T, 1981 DeLorean, CT reservation
Country flag
Can you please recommend a product that actually removes fingerprints from stainless steel? I watched Out of Spec Detail, where he exhausted various products to no avail, except Windex. I will share your answer with him.
Sure, thanks for the question. Try a clean, microfiber cloth that has been dampened with water. I get the cloth soaking wet, and then wring it out well. This should remove fingerprints. You may have to rub back and forth a couple times for a stubborn fingerprint. So, the best product is no product. Thatā€™s my experience, and thatā€™s how I have cared for the exterior of my DeLorean for the last 11 years, in addition to other members of the DeLorean Club of Florida.
A couple owners have used isopropyl alcohol to remove stubborn prints and stains. This leaves no residue behind.

The problem with Windex, aside from it not being recommended by the manufacturer for cleaning stainless steel due to it containing ammonia, is that it leaves a residue behind. Over time, the residue builds up and causes a cloudy haze. This becomes worse if you use Windex in the heat of the summer, as it evaporates quickly. This is called out on the Windex instructions/ product website.

My wife learned this as well. She ran a house cleaning business and used Windex to clean bathroom mirrors. After a short while, she noticed that the mirrors were cloudy after cleaning on regular clients mirrors. Long story short, she discovered that it was the Windex, and changed products.

Therefore, we donā€™t buy Windex at all. I use a tint safe glass cleaner instead on my carā€™s windows. I donā€™t use it on the DeLorean panels.

The other problem I have with the Out Of Spec detail guy was his use of Barkeepers Friend immediately followed by Windex.

He sure is ā€œout of specā€ because he didnā€™t even follow the instructions printed on the products.

More detail here (see post #5):
https://www.cybertruckownersclub.co...nd-steel-cleaner-applied-result-photos.11923/

Unfortunately, lots of owners are following his advice in this video on their $100K+ trucks.

Synchronicity786

First Name
O
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Bronco, Tesla Cybertruck
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
The approach being used comes across as thirsty and just reminds me of talking to snake oily pharmaceutical reps. No offense but prob unfairly creates skepticism of the products efficacy. Need to hear from an objective CT owner whoā€™s tried this stuff.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag

If I don't apply ProtectClear, what do you think I can expect as an owner? Corrosion? Rotting bodywork? Orange rust stains?

Forgive me, I'm just not convinced that the Stainless Steel needs a protectant. Do you have data indicating otherwise?

I plan on simply applying wax periodically.

OP
OP
ProtectaClear

ProtectaClear

Site Sponsor
First Name
Jackie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Country flag
If I don't apply ProtectClear, what do you think I can expect as an owner? Corrosion? Rotting bodywork? Orange rust stains?

Forgive me, I'm just not convinced that the Stainless Steel needs a protectant. Do you have data indicating otherwise?

I plan on simply applying wax periodically.
Depending on environmental conditions; fingerprints, water spots, tarnish, eventual corrosion, and if you are in an environment where road salts are used, this corrosion will occur sooner.

You can wax if you like, you will just be maintaining the finish more often and with more work than the protection ProtectaClear offers. We realize PC is not the perfect solution for all, we are sharing what we know to work on this medium.

OP
OP
ProtectaClear

ProtectaClear

Site Sponsor
First Name
Jackie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Country flag
The approach being used comes across as thirsty and just reminds me of talking to snake oily pharmaceutical reps. No offense but prob unfairly creates skepticism of the products efficacy. Need to hear from an objective CT owner whoā€™s tried this stuff.
No offense taken, we just introduced ourselves to this community about a week ago. We have 10 or so who have already purchased product. We are looking forward to their reviews as well. Being that Cybertrucks are finally being released, this is a new project for all of us!

ideaXfactory

First Name
IdeaX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Many trucks, and a Porsche
Occupation
Stainless, metals, art, polymath
It's mostly the continued use of (ammonia-original) Windex that bothers me. Each time the naturally hard and protective SS coating will have to rebuild. I think it is actually making the fingerprint problem worse for people.
Sponsored