PSA on maintaining the stainless steel

rodx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck AWD
Country flag
DeLorean owners don’t fret about maintaining the stainless. Here’s some consolidated advice on the subject from the DeLorean Club of Florida.

I will go out on a limb and say that the streaks he’s seeing is related to the constant use of Windex. Refer to the last section for details.
Holy moly this is an excellent post. I appreciate you reposting this constantly to help other owners mitigate bad advice. Saving this post.

In terms of just standard car washes, do you recommend the usual stuff then, just like any other car? (Soap and water)

edit: You should consider making a post about “A DeLorean owner’s experience with cleaning and maintaining their car” if time allows for it! I’m certain it would be incredibly helpful for all future owners.​
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

kbolt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Thanks for the heads up, hopefully CT SS is better with Teslas special blend than the DeLorean.

Have seen a couple sky is falling "without a windshield tint the Cybertruck is an oven" post.
Can you shed any light on that, obviously as a shop that does tint you have a little bias, but surely Tesla didn't ship a truck from CA and TX (HOT STATES) that boils people without a tint on the windshield, which most states don't allow.
?
We tinted this CT last week. He only did the front windows. But he did the windshield. We're in southern California so a tint with ceramic helps a lot.

I drove a different Cybertruck today that we're going to be wrapping on Monday. It did not have tint on it. It was only about 68, but sunny and it wasn't too bad. Having said that it was about 3:30 in the afternoon so not the hottest time of day.

My model Y faces the sun all day and yesterday I measured the interior temp to be 112. I haven't tinted my car yet, which is kind of a mortal sin down here lol.

OP
OP

kbolt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I don't see anything notable in this picture.

-Crissa
In the first one I'm pointing to the spot, but it's under the light. I'm the second one I moved over so you can see the dark spot next to the light.

OP
OP

kbolt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Scare tactics. Not good when a business owner chimes in. Use caution.
This is true, hopefully I've made it clear that this is what I do, and I'm certainly biased. If someone wants to wrap their Cybertruck and they are in the area I hope they come to me. I'm not going to say the name of my business, but they can DM me if interested.
I'm just more showing people that if they rub their car and don't do research this is what can happen. Those photos were before the truck was washed. Here is another I took after washing it and moving out from under the shop lights.

Tesla Cybertruck PSA on maintaining the stainless steel PXL_20240216_212840907

OP
OP

kbolt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Might want to try a product similar to this.

Zep Heavy-Duty 128 Fluid Ounces Degreaser in the Degreasers department at Lowes.com 2024-02-15...jpg

Stainless Steel Passivation:.jpg
Yes, this was before we washed the car. We have plenty of stuff like that, but the owner just wanted to use Windex at home. There's a certain level of simplicity and convenience to it which is very understandable.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I'm just more showing people that if they rub their car and don't do research this is what can happen. Those photos were before the truck was washed. Here is another I took after washing it and moving out from under the shop lights.

PXL_20240216_212840907.jpg
That's not corrosion, but... It is a big blotch. It looks dark here, but does it reflect the light more from the right angle? I see another shiny spot on the upper-right, near the BAW.

Yeah, any metal you rub repeatedly will change the shine. So... Yeah.

-Crissa

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1 Million Miles on ICE Toyotas, Waiting for CT
This is true, hopefully I've made it clear that this is what I do, and I'm certainly biased. If someone wants to wrap their Cybertruck and they are in the area I hope they come to me. I'm not going to say the name of my business, but they can DM me if interested.

PXL_20240216_212840907.jpg
Woaaaa did they take a grinder to it?

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
We tinted this CT last week. He only did the front windows. But he did the windshield. We're in southern California so a tint with ceramic helps a lot.

I drove a different Cybertruck today that we're going to be wrapping on Monday. It did not have tint on it. It was only about 68, but sunny and it wasn't too bad. Having said that it was about 3:30 in the afternoon so not the hottest time of day.

My model Y faces the sun all day and yesterday I measured the interior temp to be 112. I haven't tinted my car yet, which is kind of a mortal sin down here lol.
68 outside and 112 inside!?!?! or is 112 during the summer?

DMC-81

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Transformers Camaro SS, 1985 Corvette Z51, Dodge Magnum R/T, 1981 DeLorean, CT reservation
Country flag
Holy moly this is an excellent post. I appreciate you reposting this constantly to help other owners mitigate bad advice. Saving this post.

In terms of just standard car washes, do you recommend the usual stuff then, just like any other car? (Soap and water)

edit: You should consider making a post about “A DeLorean owner’s experience with cleaning and maintaining their car” if time allows for it! I’m certain it would be incredibly helpful for all future owners.​
Thank you. Yes, for standard car washes, we use just a mild car wash soap and water. Details are in the appropriate section.

Cybertruck 1974

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Environmental Health
Country flag
Just watch Out of Spec Detailing on You Tube where a good job on what to use and what not to use and do to your Cybertruck for cleaning, etc. Good watch.

LowPoly

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck, DeLorean
Occupation
Opto-Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
DeLorean owner here. Stainless maintenance is easy. Both my cars are over forty years old and there are no stains or dark spots or streaks and most of my panels still have the original grain. The only thing that happens is a light oxidation that makes the panels looks SLIGHTLY chalky. After decades. I regrained a fender a few years ago and I could tell that it was slightly brighter than all the other panels. It's barely noticeable and not enough to make me want to regrain the whole car to match.

Mattsplat

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
Thanks for the heads up, hopefully CT SS is better with Teslas special blend than the DeLorean.

Have seen a couple sky is falling "without a windshield tint the Cybertruck is an oven" post.
Can you shed any light on that, obviously as a shop that does tint you have a little bias, but surely Tesla didn't ship a truck from CA and TX (HOT STATES) that boils people without a tint on the windshield, which most states don't allow.
?
That sounds exactly like something Tesla would do actually.

OP
OP

kbolt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
68 outside and 112 inside!?!?! or is 112 during the summer?
It was 112 inside. I took the measurement this week. But the odd thing is I had cabin overheat protection on and set to 100 so I need to do some more investigation

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It was 112 inside. I took the measurement this week. But the odd thing is I had cabin overheat protection on and set to 100 so I need to do some more investigation
Wow that seems crazy hot, once you get over 110 you risk plastic issues, electronics left in car etc. Do you plan on tinting the windshield?

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That sounds exactly like something Tesla would do actually.
I have a hard time believing Tesla would ship megawindshield CTs knowing that they would be solar ovens.
Sponsored