PSA on maintaining the stainless steel

agordon117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck foundation awd
Country flag
Wow that seems crazy hot, once you get over 110 you risk plastic issues, electronics left in car etc. Do you plan on tinting the windshield?
This is what happens in my model Y also. On a sunny day, with overheat protection turned on (but without AC enabled), I have seen 120F and above.
Sponsored

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1 Million Miles on ICE Toyotas, Waiting for CT
This is what happens in my model Y also. On a sunny day, with overheat protection turned on (but without AC enabled), I have seen 120F and above.
Interesting.
Granted in vehicles I have had in TX and FL during the SUMMER when it is 100+ outside I have seen 110-125 inside, but that was with older vehicles, black paint, etc. I would assume that Tesla would have some heat rejection in their glass with as big as the windshield and top glass is.

agordon117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Interesting.
Granted in vehicles I have had in TX and FL during the SUMMER when it is 100+ outside I have seen 110-125 inside, but that was with older vehicles, black paint, etc. I would assume that Tesla would have some heat rejection in their glass with as big as the windshield and top glass is.
Well sure, on a sunny day in winter I'm not seeing those temps. But in direct sun on a day over 75F, that's what's going to happen.

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Well sure, on a sunny day in winter I'm not seeing those temps. But in direct sun on a day over 75F, that's what's going to happen.
wow 120+ inside on a day that is 75 is getting close to solar oven efficiency, in a bad way
Guess add front windshield tinting to the must have budget list?

agordon117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
wow 120+ inside on a day that is 75 is getting close to solar oven efficiency, in a bad way
Guess add front windshield tinting to the must have budget list?
It may not be exactly 120+ at 75F, but it's definitely 112F-120F+ in the range of 75F-85F.

Won't know how cybertruck does until I get it and the weather turns. Can only speak from model Y experience.

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It may not be exactly 120+ at 75F, but it's definitely 112F-120F+ in the range of 75F-85F.

Won't know how cybertruck does until I get it and the weather turns. Can only speak from model Y experience.
Gotcha, I can't imagine Tesla not putting in some heat protection in "the largest windshield in the market" so hopefully they did

geoffgeoff

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FUSO FG140
Occupation
Recovering Engineer
Country flag
Don't know what to tell you. I sweat when I'm driving in sun during summer in my model Y. The climate system has a hard time keeping up with the greenhouse effect. The only reason I didn't take that to be tinted is that I knew it was just a placeholder for my cybertruck, and it would add zero value when I trade in the vehicle.

It's probably not that they added zero heat rejection to the glass as is, but they aren't doing enough vs how much glass these cars have, I can say that from experience.
I recall that Tesla touts the ModelY's roof glass heat rejection capabilities, but I don't recall if they included the windshield. I have a 9/2020 ModelY and haven't noted any unusual heat issues; to the contrary, the AC is quite cold and I must direct air away from my Bride&I. Have you brought your discomfort to SC attention?

On your point that you assign zero resale value to your Y, I paid $8K for FSD and I've taken very good care of my future robotaxi. I have no intention of ever selling my PIF Tesla as she's gonna be an earner.

Mattsplat

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
I have a hard time believing Tesla would ship megawindshield CTs knowing that they would be solar ovens.
All Teslas are solar ovens. Mt MYLR send me the over heat warning when it is 48 degrees outside.

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
All Teslas are solar ovens. Mt MYLR send me the over heat warning when it is 48 degrees outside.
Interesting, I drove a model 3 a good bit and didn't notice a heat difference. it was cooler outside but not cold and only noticed a minor difference.
Is your MYLR black by chance?

OP
OP

kbolt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Wow that seems crazy hot, once you get over 110 you risk plastic issues, electronics left in car etc. Do you plan on tinting the windshield?
Yeah I'm going to. I'm trying to find a way to compare before and after as empirically as possible first.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
One person's 'solar oven' is another person's 'nice and comfy'.

I'm not going to harass someone for getting more IR reflectivity or insulation.

Well, unless they're like the guy I saw holding his reflective window shade backwards in the desert heat.

Tesla Cybertruck PSA on maintaining the stainless steel IMG_0697_edit.JPG

But I doubt it's really that bad of an oven, and I probably am the sort to say it's too hot and my spouse is the kind to say it's too cold ^-^

-Crissa

Mattsplat

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
Interesting, I drove a model 3 a good bit and didn't notice a heat difference. it was cooler outside but not cold and only noticed a minor difference.
Is your MYLR black by chance?
Red with white interior.

Stuck4ger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ / Model Y
Occupation
Test Pilot
Country flag
Yeah, it gets above 100 deg in any car left out in the sun in the southern states for a surprisingly short time. That’s why children continue to perish when left behind. At least Tesla has the capacity to automatically protect for such carelessness.

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yeah I'm going to. I'm trying to find a way to compare before and after as empirically as possible first.
That would be really cool. Maybe get one of those temperature sensors that records the min/mix and average temp for a 24hour period, they sell them on Amazon.
Then do a week of recording, while noting the outside temperature, then do it after tinting doing the same. Ideally during a time of year when the weather is semi consistent, that would be really cool and great info!
Sponsored