Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I don't think 0-60 is really that critical for everyday driving. My slow MS70D rarely has the chance to use full acceleration. Wife and kids get motion sickness if I use more than 1/2 acceleration or if I drive hard in corners with hard acceleration out of the corner. It wasn't that long ago that sub 6 second 0-60 was reserved for performance cars only. I think a good traction control system will obviate any need for 4 motors for that vast majority of CT drivers.
My passengers complain if I use the throttle too aggressively in the Model Y LR and its way slower than the tri motor.

The tri motor is a full 1.5 seconds faster to 60 than my Model Y. That is pretty huge.

If I get the tri motor, I’m going to have to install softer headrests and some of those Oh Shit handles if they don’t come stock.
Sponsored

bukkakeaisu

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
J120 LandCruiser Prado
Country flag

I'm not saying its for sure Quad motor, can't say for sure whether he is referencing the number of motors or other features.
He's just saying Plaid is more than just the trimotor drivetrain. The motors are also totally different but then you have the cooling system and who knows what else.

Hunter

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Nissan Leaf, Toyota Tachoma, Jeeps
Occupation
General Contractor, retired / Electronics designer/manufacture & software developer in years past
Country flag
What I want is traction control on uneven or slick ground.

When the road surfaces is not flat or is slick sometimes because one wheel doesn't have much traction it will slip. If you have a single motor axle, and a standard universal joint, then the entire axle won't have power. 4 motors or a limited slip joint can fix this. I would think that 4 motors can fix it better than other ways.

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model Y 90D, 1868 Boneshaker, 1887 Rudge Light Roadster 54" , 1885 Victor Roadster 54", 1973 Schwinn Paramount, 1999 Dodge 3500 Van with Plate "CYBERTR"
Occupation
Radical Sustainabilist, Applied Scientist, Post Architect, Scrounger of Materials to Transform Old Houses to Carbon Free, Citrus Grower in Colorado.
Country flag
4 is NOT a Prime Number ... and these are Prime Trucks!

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
My passengers complain if I use the throttle too aggressively in the Model Y LR and its way slower than the tri motor.

The tri motor is a full 1.5 seconds faster to 60 than my Model Y. That is pretty huge.

If I get the tri motor, I’m going to have to install softer headrests and some of those Oh Shit handles if they don’t come stock.
I prefer Fuck Me Dead (FMD) handles personally. ?

Steven

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y DMLR
Occupation
Auto Mechanic
Country flag
What I want is traction control on uneven or slick ground.

When the road surfaces is not flat or is slick sometimes because one wheel doesn't have much traction it will slip. If you have a single motor axle, and a standard universal joint, then the entire axle won't have power. 4 motors or a limited slip joint can fix this. I would think that 4 motors can fix it better than other ways.
All cars/pickup trucks (including Tesla) and even semi trucks have traction control so your statement is for old tech that doesn't have this feature. Traction control on these up-scale vehicles senses the wheel with the least traction (the one spinning) and applies a small amount of brake force to that spinning wheel which sends the power to the wheel with the most traction there by eliminating the need for four motors or limited slip differentials. Teslas have options called Slip Start and Off Road that address this issue.

OP
OP

TBONO

First Name
Tone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
A trusted source of mine is guessing that a four motor may be in the works. I have No idea if that would be at launch, down the road or at all.

considering Tesla has a track record of having always released their new cars with no vehicle out there with competing specs I would think the same could to apply here. Rivian has a 3.0 acceleration time. Though a smaller truck it will be in the market for 1 to 1.5 years before Cybertruck. If tesla proceeds with current plan it would then be the first time a new product is rolling out with something slower and later than the competition. So a quad motor with a 2.5-2.7 0 to 60 time would keep that record in tact. Of course there’s much more to it than acceleration like the other features already discussed however Tesla has a lot of focus on having the best performing cars out there period.
looks like this was sound Intel and aligns with history of Tesla with the best performance out regardless of cost…

MADMAN

First Name
Jahson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Dual Motor
Occupation
Laboratory Technician (Analytical Chemistry)
Country flag
Since Tesla uses a blended motor output, it's not likely any time soon. There's not much advantage to putting the Plaid rear motor in the front.

Rivian uses one motor per wheel, so there's independent positive traction control.

-Crissa

See? I have been answering questions almost every day for 16 months and that adds up to a post count.
This comment didn't age well. Haha! ;)

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
looks like this was sound Intel and aligns with history of Tesla with the best performance out regardless of cost…
I’ve been hearing some rumors about this too, but not “replacing”, in addition to. Is there something which confirms the quad is happening?

Nm found it
Sponsored

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.