Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
Aircraft Fixed/Rotary - Rocket/Missile/Spacecraft/Air Defense Scientist
Country flag
Ram.jpg Fiat Chrysler announces Ram electric pickup truck coming

Fiat Chrysler, a lagger when it comes to electrification, confirms that it plans to make an electric Ram pickup truck.

Almost every automaker under the sun is planning to make an electric pickup truck:

• Tesla Cybertruck
  • Rivian R1T
  • Ford F-150 Electric
  • GMC Hummer EV
  • Lordstown Endurance
We have noted Fiat Chrysler’s absence in the all-electric pickup truck space.

The automaker has notoriously been lagging behind the rest of the industry when it comes to bringing electric vehicles to market.

It even plans to pay Tesla up to $2 billion in order to avoid European penalties related to reducing fleet emissions, which can be achieve with more electric vehicles.

FCA does have electric vehicles planned for production in the next few years, but they are seen as being behind the rest of the industry in general.

When asked about making joining the race to make an electric pickup truck earlier this year, the company didn’t seem overly interested even though the Ram truck brand is an important part of their business.

Now when asked again by an analyst during the company third-quarter earnings call, Fiat Chrysler CEO Mike Manley finally confirmed that they will announce an electric Ram pickup (via Detroit Free Press):

I do see that there will be an electrified Ram pickup in the marketplace, and I would ask you just to stay tuned for a little while, and we’ll tell you exactly when that will be.
The CEO didn’t elaborate beyond that, but he did tease that there will be an announcement about an electric Ram pickup truck soon.

Electrek’s Take
Better late than ever?

They are going to move fast here. Most electric pickup trucks are scheduled to come in the next 24 months.

If they are just now green-lighting the program, which we don’t know to be fair, it will take a while for them to bring the vehicle to production.

At least we don’t expect volume production of electric pickup trucks to happen until late 2022-2023, so there’s still time before electric pickups really make a big impact on the highly profitable truck sector in the US.

Therefore, there’s still time for FCA, but they are not the legacy automaker I’m most hopeful for when it comes to electrification.

Electrek
Sponsored

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
FCA owns Jeep also and they've already announced a plug-in hybrid Jeep. I'll put money on the fact that ALL the legacy trucks will slowly fade into electrification via plug-in hybrids. They'll sell the customers on the value of being able to get WAY better MPG and not have to worry about plugging in on long trips. This will in turn increase the fleet MPG and reduce the penalties to pay, while also allowing them to still have all the benefits of parts and service for the dealer network (the cash cow).

Unfortunately for the public, they'll buy into this garbage and be stuck with still having an ICE vehicle, with all the Parts & Service, with trips to the gas stations and smog checks. Also it kinda sabotages how good EV's are, by giving them SLOW charging, very little EV range, oh and also the vehicle will HAVE to put the gas engine into service when you punch it because electric by itself won't do, plus you get that LOVELY sound of POWER! Plus also you loose the ability to get in the vehicle with 300 miles of range, ready to go, every morning.

People will feel like Hybrids work. One more thing, as Hybrids they'll be quicker. Hardly much of a difference between Hybrid and EV, why would I want to buy an EV?
Such a great plan! ;) :oops:

Last edited by a moderator:

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
FCA owns Jeep also and they've already announced a plug-in hybrid Jeep. I'll put money on the fact that ALL the legacy trucks will slowly fade into electrification via plug-in hybrids. They'll sell the customers on the value of being able to get WAY better MPG and not have to worry about plugging in on long trips. This will in turn increase the fleet MPG and reduce the penalties to pay, while also allowing them to still have all the benefits of parts and service for the dealer network (the cash cow).
Unfortunately for the public, they'll buy into this garbage and be stuck with still having an ICE vehicle, with all the Parts & Service, with trips to the gas stations and smog checks. Also it kinda sabotages how good EV's are, by giving them SLOW charging, very little EV range, oh and also the vehicle will HAVE to put the gas engine into service when you punch it because electric by itself won't do, plus you get that LOVELY sound of POWER! Plus also you loose the ability to get in the vehicle with 300 miles of range, ready to go, every morning. People will feel like Hybrids work. One more thing, as Hybrids they'll be quicker. Hardly much of a difference between Hybrid and EV, why would I want to buy an EV?
Such a great plan!
At our house we have been driving hybrids for years. Hybrids have been very good to us so far. But from the get-go, my desire was to drive only EVs. But back then there were no practical and affordable EVs available. So I made the choice to buy hybrids as an encouragement for the market to head more toward EVs.

I tend to buy brand new vehicles and then drive them till they are headed to the junk yard. Currently of our 3 vehicles, all are over 100k miles but none seem to be anywhere near ready for the junk yard. So what to do?

Well the CT is a great enough vehicle to make me change my tactics. We are going full electric as we get the money together. As we buy electric we will rotate out the hybrids. I’m not expecting to get much $$ for them. But I will be VERY happy to get rid of the maintenance costs.

Overall, I agree with what was said above. For most people buying hybrids is a recognizable but greener choice. And they avoid what they see as the risky EVs. The thing is though that with a little experience they would probably understand that there isn’t really any reason to fear the EVs. Most of the issues of EVs have been solved. The only remaining issue is really just getting used to a new set of behaviors around charging. Not inconvenient, but different from previous ICE behaviors.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
PHEVs by their nature can't have much pure EV range.
-Crissa
Sure, PHEV will probably have less range then full BEV but with today's tech a PHEV with only 25 range is a joke.

A first gen 2011-2015 Chevy Volt PHEV had 35 miles and 2nd gen 2016-2019 had 53 miles.
So a $42,000 2021 Jeep X4e will have significantly less range than vehicle from 10 years ago that was cheaper too ($35,000).

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
Sure, PHEV will probably have less range then full BEV but with today's tech a PHEV with only 25 range is a joke.

A first gen 2011-2015 Chevy Volt PHEV had 35 miles and 2nd gen 2016-2019 had 53 miles.
So a $42,000 2021 Jeep X4e will have significantly less range than vehicle from 10 years ago that was cheaper too ($35,000).
My oldest child leased a Chevy Volt. There were a LOT of compromises, such as even less interior space for a car of its size. It also did not perform well.

A 10 mile difference? What about Toyota's 11 to 22 mile range for their PHEV (depending on year)?

Yes, 25 miles of range seems laughably small, but they have to start somewhere. Hopefully they will realize that the gas motor and transmission just are not worth lugging around and replace it with batteries.

Now if the 4xe does not sell, guess what the management is going to say? It will not be that no one bought it because the laughable EV range, they will say their target market does not want an electrified Jeep and drag their feet even longer... which might be their own demise.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
A Jeep will use like 2x the energy per mile so it would be tough for it to have a long pure EV range.

The Volt was aerodynamic and lighter.

-Crissa

showmemo

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 M3P, 2000 M Roadster, XC 40, TriMotor CT
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Actually planning an Alaska back country trip where there will be no charging... the Jeep might be the next best option... except, of course, if I go with the 'generator dilemna' :)

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
A Jeep will use like 2x the energy per mile so it would be tough for it to have a long pure EV range.

The Volt was aerodynamic and lighter.

-Crissa
Yeah, the plugin prius for years had 11 to 22 miles of EV range, so a Jeep Wrangler having more range than the aerodynamic prius shape is actually really good.