Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
As far as towing, the CT is not on par with a dual rear wheel 3500. With diesel engines, 10 speed transmissions, and 50+ gallons of fuel, the CT cannot compete.
True. The 2021 Dodge Ram HO Cummins 3500 DRW can tow 37,100 lbs using 5th wheel/Gooseneck

But the Tri-motor CT can come close to a 2020 SWR 2500 Ram Cummins
Tesla Cybertruck RAM TRX pickup spotted at Fremont plant for Cybertruck benchmark testing Screen Shot 2021-04-30 at 8.38.10 AM
Sponsored

Last edited:

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
True. The 2021 Dodge Ram HO Cummins 3500 DRW can tow 37,100 using 5th wheel/Gooseneck

But the Tri-motor CT can come close to a 2020 SWR 2500 Ram Cummins
Screen Shot 2021-04-30 at 8.38.10 AM.png
Agreed.

I think the CT is secretly gunning for 2500 SRW diesel engine ZF transmission'd specs, with Ram 1500 ride quality and price.

Even with that, no SRW pickup will come close to a dually in terms of "towability" and safety.

But that's FINE! The CT isn't meant be more than a F150/Ram 1500 competitor!

Albern

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevrolet Volt, 202X Cybertruck Plaid+ (x2)
Country flag
I just Googled “manly man truck” and CT showed up in 12th row under images so you may be on to something. I am sure it’s ranking will improve once we start posting selfies with ours :)

Ladies driving any truck or stick shift is mighty sexy in general.
Any woman who drives CT would get my attention / have extra points in my book. Doesn't make her any less feminine but more interesting for sure. :love:(y)

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
TruckElectric and OneLapper sussed the neighborhood in which CT is expecting to be in when it releases. 14000# tow capacity is a super tall specification Tesla are releasing on standard wheels and tires. Loads get ooze-y and squish-y regardless tires pressure and width driving tow vehicle for professional much less optimal in Dad and fam hands.

Optional rated wheels and tires expect to be available at order time. The normal and customary practice of buying tires from Pep Boys on wheels bought “somewhere” would be committing an own goal by Tesla without acknowledging its Cybertruck is extreme! Its 14000# spec is a new beadlock wheel standard or Budd wheel.

Glad Tesla spec’d a real truck! ‘Tis reason TRD and Raptor pickup trucks underspec compared to real trucks. It keeps Dad’s and fam from using a pickup, getting in over their truck‘s ability and causing damage.

BTW expect Cybertruck can jump. Jump alot further off the ground than 30” or a FORD Raptor. Country boys run hills, Californians deserts and wheels come off the ground.

cyberslacker

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, eagerly awaiting my Cybertruck
Occupation
Software Engineering Manager
Country flag
This is great, especially seeing as the TRX matches starting price point with the Cybertruck Tri motor. I can't wait to see the final specs, even if delayed slightly.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
This is great, especially seeing as the TRX matches starting price point with the Cybertruck Tri motor. I can't wait to see the final specs, even if delayed slightly.
TRX has all the Raptor dog whistles if not the same bells. Typical of Chrysler engineering TRX is a gearheads Fav. It suprises that they chose to spec its tow rating below Cybertruck’s. TRX has the horses but Chrysler dialed it back in pursuit of 30” wheel travel chasing Raptor.

Watching TRX to see if it options Tow Pkg with uprated suspension, brakes and tires.

Scot Kiser

First Name
Scot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia sedona
Occupation
Custodian
Country flag
Had a 2001 GMC 2500 full cab 4 wheel drive 8.1 v8. Got 8 mpg city and way up to 16 highway. Looking forward to CT.

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
Had a 2001 GMC 2500 full cab 4 wheel drive 8.1 v8. Got 8 mpg city and way up to 16 highway. Looking forward to CT.
I'm in a similar boat. My F350 6.7L super duty 4x4 gets about 17mpg on the highway and about 5 on surface streets. Compared to a model X, which is the closest reference point I can think of for the CT, it's costing me about three times as much per mile in fuel alone as a CT will cost. Operating cost of a CT comes in around a quarter the price when you add in oil changes and drivetrain services.

Mind you, this is with california diesel prices, which have gotten out of hand in the last few years.

Last edited:

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
I'm in a similar boat. My F350 6.7L super duty 4x4 gets about 17mpg on the highway and about 5 on surface streets. Compared to a model X, which is the closest reference point I can think of for the CT, it's costing me about three times as much per mile in fuel alone as a CT will cost. Operating cost of a CT comes in around a quarter the price when you add in oil changes and drivetrain services.

Mind you, this is with california diesel prices, which have gotten out of hand in the last few years.
lol.

California Diesel: $4.086/gallon
Canada Diesel: $4.713/gallon

"out of hand"

Those Canadian prices are actually not that high by our standards, too. They will go up and up in the coming years. I'm always surprised when I see discussions about EV savings that don't say "If you don't enjoy burning money away by the day, buy an EV!" Then I realize gas isn't taxed through the roof in the US. In Canada you are financially stupid not to drive an EV in most cases.

TBONO

First Name
Tone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
Interesting thread as I just purchased a TRX this weekend to hold me over until CT is available. The 1 potentially 1+ year delay bummed me out.

The TRX is a blast. but interestingly the closest thing performance wise in the market to what the cyber truck tri motor will be. If raptor comes out with an R version than that might take the lead.
I put less than 3000 miles a year on this vehicle for ski patrol, Mountain biking and utility uses, so the horrible gas mileage is manageable as we use our model 3 and Subaru for higher mileage jaunts.

When I see my CT3 build number ~1400 is delivered it will allow our family to go from three vehicles down to two

jd1

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck ordered
Country flag
Having owned a TRX.... as well as M3P... the TRX is fun but once you get used to the power, it's more a pain in the butt. The gas guzzling is real. I have owned a Trackhawk, several Hellcats... the TRX drinks like a college kid at spring break. When I sold my trx I was not sad.
Sponsored