Range for AWD Cybertruck 200-250 miles after many real world tests

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
No you weren't, it said plainly during the reservation process that "price and features may change". The only thing promised is that you would reserve an opportunity to buy whatever the production version of the truck ended up being.
Actually, Tesla promised even less than that!

Because Tesla didn't even promise to bring Cybertruck to market, they specifically said they had the right to cancel it. About the only thing that was "promised" was that your $100 was fully refundable!
Sponsored

Darth abbott

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
That's false. Both my wife's Long Range Model 3 and my Performance Model 3 have lifetime consumption averages better than the EPA combined rating. And I floor the thing almost every opportunity I get. This is after nearly 6 years of driving through all kinds of weather and over 120,000 combined miles. These cars are our daily drivers and are parked in an open carport all winter/summer. Both cars have the Aero wheels and low rolling resistance all-seasons about 8-9 months per year and Pirelli Winter tires during the winter..

Where have you been? Under ideal conditions the 310 mile rated 2018 Model 3 has demonstrated an ability to be hypermiled over 600 miles by at least two different parties, one on a racetrack and one in the real world. I also have a 2018 Model 3 Long Range RWD with 72,000 miles on it and it still has 305 miles of battery range (degaded from 310 miles almost 6 years ago). But it will drive farther than it's combined EPA range rating at 60-65 mph.

The Model 3 is Tesla's most efficient vehicle due to it's superior aerodynamics and is, IMO, Tesla's most under-rated model and best value, even if the Model Y outsells it 2 to 1. That's why we have three of them. They are a superior tool for long, fast road trips and the perfect complement to the Cybertruck.

I guarantee I will be able to exceed the EPA range of the Cybertruck too. Because the EPA drive cycles have a lot of speed changes built into them, even on the highway drive cycles. By driving at a steady speed, in average weather and road conditions, you can exceed the EPA ranges of any Tesla.
That's super awesome! Hasn't been my experience but that's awesome to hear! But again it also takes effort to hit those levels.

Bkb13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
raptor
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Country flag
All in all, I’m personally satisfied that this notion that one must do at or above the speed limit in all conditions to “be safe” is an absurd sort of self-excuse for folks who - if they were honest with themselves - would notice that THEY are switching lanes to pass LOTS of people going below the speed limit
I think you may have a gross misunderstanding of what I did say. Maybe you should re-read my statement.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
That's super awesome! Hasn't been my experience but that's awesome to hear! But again it also takes effort to hit those levels.
It doesn't take any effort to hit those numbers, we just do a lot of travel on smooth rural two-lane roads with 50 mph speed limits. We can only drive as fast as the traffic. Oh, yeah, you also have to maintain your tire pressure.

cyberboi

First Name
jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
turbo
Country flag
The CT isn’t going to work for my long distance travel that I do on a regular basis. However, a Model Y will work to replace my wife’s vehicle so I’ll probably go with one of those (she says the CT is too flashy for her to drive).

Yeah I definitely learned over the years driving Tesla's to adjust my driving style. I think that's where autopilot really comes in to being handy because I find it easier to drive at a slower speed while I have it set. It doesn't bother me that people are passing me as much as like when I'm in my gas truck. I find it very hard to drive reasonable in my gas truck and usually end up being one of the faster people on the road. But put me in an EV and I have really no problem driving long slow in the right lane, because I know I'm driving efficiently and I can get there and the numbers I'm seeing are correct.

My first long distance trip was in a 2019 model 3 rear wheel drive. One of the lowest range Tesla's. My brother and I were traveling to a client's house about 150 mi away it was in the fall so it was cold and we were using heat we started off really early in the morning so there was no traffic and the speed limit on the highway is 70 so we were cruising along it naturally 80 and you could just watch the range drop off. We stopped and supercharged for maybe 30 minutes on the way up to make sure we had enough range to get there. When we got up there we supercharged again while we had lunch and had no problem making it all the way back because we drove 65 on the way back.

That was a 2019 and the batteries have come so far in that time. And the cyber truck has the most advanced batteries Tesla has right now. There's just too many variables to know with not enough information how efficient they are just yet. And for some reason Tesla decided to put the off-road tires on the foundation series I guess because they're more expensive but they're definitely not the most efficient tire for driving 75 to 85 mph

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
I have an invite to order. I'm waiting to see real world mileage.

I want 250miles minimum guaranteed, no matter what highway speed or load or A/C use.

I will never hipermile. I hate those fers. I wow to never become one of them. 😀
This is easy, you are not going to get that guarantee.

Just as you wouldn't get that guarantee in any other car or truck. Load a car down, put it on the Autobahn at 125 mph. You won't get the EPA range.
Take a car and do 100% city driving, you won't get that range.

Make someone else happy and remove your reservation, we'll see you back in a few years when you realize what the truck can do.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
This should all be factored in the truck design.

I get it that it explains range variations.

But I don't think people here coming from a gas truck don't get the point that it varies.

The point I'm guessing many are trying to make to the EV converts is that the range lower numbers are way too low. (Maybe, we don't know for sure yet).

If 340 miles is the average, in ideal conditions it should be much higher than 340. Maybe 440.

In the less than ideal scenario, it should be at least 250, or so I hope.

It's not about *understanding* that it may vary.

I just want to know for sure what is the range driving at 75mph in highway with AC and four adults in.

Assume it's a mountain road and cold and heat or whatever makes it worse.

The minimum range at such should be reasonable.

I never in my gas truck had to figure out if the AC level is going to hurt my range. It's about what's comfortable for me.

I never had to worry about elevation changes.

I get 250 miles easily. That's the point. Could I get more? Sure, maybe. But the low range of 250 works.
You need to understand what the EPA numbers are. They were never meant to tell YOU how far the vehicle will go. They are meant as a comparison between model and manufacturers.

You didn't worry about elevation or A/C or load or towing in your ICE, because it was basically something you learned when driving. Let me ask you this. If you were evactuating from a hurricane in Florida and you were in Miami and knew that the rest of the state was evacuating too, but you were a little late and had heard that all of the gas stations were out of gas.
  • Would you run the A/C?
  • Would you sit, stopped for 30 minutes with the engine running?
  • Would you care if there was a 1,000 ft mountain that you had to climb over?
  • Tow a trailer?
I suspect that you know that answer is no.

Did I just take a 2400 mile trip in cooler weather, with the heat or A/C on and not worry about charging? My answer is yes.

Plain and simple, you have EV Range Anxiety. You aren't familiar with an EV, you don't know where all the places to fill it up are

But really? You are from Danville CA. You probably have 50 Superchargers within 50 miles of you.
Tesla Cybertruck Range for AWD Cybertruck 200-250 miles after many real world tests 1704145023132

Oh, and let me add, you've never pulled a big trailer before. It's pretty common to worry about those things in ICE when towing. Seeing a vehicle drop to below 10 mpg isn't uncommon.

Last edited:

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
I am one of those guys bouncing between getting the range extender or not. 1/3rd of the bed is a lot to lose for hauling, plus the extra weight the RE adds.

I think what I am going to do is purchase the CT without the RE and if range becomes an issue, in regard to my driving habits, then I will add the RE later.

I am 'hopeful' that I will not need the RE, but who knows...
This is easy, it isn't available yet.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Yeah I definitely learned over the years driving Tesla's to adjust my driving style.
When I first got my Model 3 5+ years ago, I too adjusted my driving slightly.

But my speed has cranked back up with all the Superchargers on the routes now. No longer is it a " I have to drive to make it to the next Supercharger" it's now a "How many Superchargers am I going to pass by and which ones will have the best food or restrooms oe easy on/off"

The car indeed uses more energy at 75 than 60, but it doesn't really matter much on trips.

Luftpilot

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-350, HD Nightrod Special, Toyota Highlander
Occupation
Adventure nut
Country flag
I am interested to see a range test where a CT is pulling a 37 ft trvel trailer. In addition, where do you charge without having to unhook the trailer. This seems the real challenge to me. But then again, I think I know the answers. ..

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
I am interested to see a range test where a CT is pulling a 37 ft trvel trailer. In addition, where do you charge without having to unhook the trailer. This seems the real challenge to me. But then again, I think I know the answers. ..
That is going to be a challenge, but it's even a challenge behind an ICE F-150, which is why many use a F-350 or F-450 with extended range tanks to do so. The Cybertruck isn't going to solve everyone's problems.

Charging while trailering is indeed an issue and it will hopefully get better. I drug a boat to Florida last year and indeed had to drop the boat a number of times to charge.

There are a fair number of locations with a pull-in spot, but not necessarily all of those are suitable for vehicles with large trailers.

Tesla seems to be playing with the configurations lately and have a few unique solutions. It's the V4 chargers with both higher power and longer cords that may help with towing. And BTW, Tesla doesn't retrofit stations.

One of the advantages that you will have with a 37 ft trailer is that once you reach your destination, you can just plug the vehicle into the NEMA 14-50 plug. Or if even the TT plug or the 120V 15A plug. My wife and I currently charge our two Tesla by alternating access to a single 120V 15A plug.

Another factor to consider will be the aerodynamics of the trailer behind the Cybertruck. Not all trailers will be the same and I wouldn't be surprised if there was a greater than 50% difference between trailers.

MarkM913

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Raptor, AWD CT configured
Country flag
Yea but if you are towing with the truck that will get cut in half, or worse.
So with 500 miles 250 is doable
With 190 miles of range 90 miles of trailering range won't get you from one super charger to another in a lot of the country.
Not even just towing... just some standard mods are gonna take a toll... more agressive m+s tires, winch, light bar, rack, spare tire mount, ect...

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
That is going to be a challenge, but it's even a challenge behind an ICE F-150, which is why many use a F-350 or F-450 with extended range tanks to do so. The Cybertruck isn't going to solve everyone's problems.

Charging while trailering is indeed an issue and it will hopefully get better. I drug a boat to Florida last year and indeed had to drop the boat a number of times to charge.

There are a fair number of locations with a pull-in spot, but not necessarily all of those are suitable for vehicles with large trailers.

Tesla seems to be playing with the configurations lately and have a few unique solutions. It's the V4 chargers with both higher power and longer cords that may help with towing. And BTW, Tesla doesn't retrofit stations.

One of the advantages that you will have with a 37 ft trailer is that once you reach your destination, you can just plug the vehicle into the NEMA 14-50 plug. Or if even the TT plug or the 120V 15A plug. My wife and I currently charge our two Tesla by alternating access to a single 120V 15A plug.

Another factor to consider will be the aerodynamics of the trailer behind the Cybertruck. Not all trailers will be the same and I wouldn't be surprised if there was a greater than 50% difference between trailers.
120V is harsh.

We have 400V 3phase in our houses.