MyKidCouldDrawThat

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No Tesla Yet
Country flag
That is the big issue. Drive 2 hours and charge for 50-70mins in order to make it to the next supercharger.
Although careful pointing that out or people will scream at you through the internet how you can simply go 45MPH on the highway and not have that issue.

zimage7111.png
To add some perspective, talking in terms of hours driven to hours charging doesn't take into account elevation changes from start to finish, and (even if starting and ending at the same elevation), changes in elevation throughout the trip.

So I checked it out on google earth and see that this drive is actually a gradual, slightly downhill stretch of desert totaling a 200ft drop in elevation between the two cities. So while I'm not going to say this is the absolute best case trip for CT, I will say its not a positive-looking data point 🧐
Sponsored

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
I'm just worried about the reports of 2hrs driving needs 50min of charging (with current charging curve, and other stuff that may improve, to be sure). You either need to be morbidly obese, unaware of imodium, or have a UTI for that ratio to make sense.
They just aren't true.

These statements are just getting more and more convoluted as time goes on. People keep adding their spin on it and they spin into crap.

Stop believing YouTube. Let's get some real answers.

And unless you have an invite for Founders Series, you have time to wait.

dandor

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, and Cybertruck
Country flag
Let me know when you get over 200 miles in one
I will be able to get 200 miles with charging up to 80%. I am not worried like you because I know what range means with Tesla. Just keep on driving your ICE cars, because you are not ready to drive an EV.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
That is the big issue. Drive 2 hours and charge for 50-70mins in order to make it to the next supercharger.
Although careful pointing that out or people will scream at you through the internet how you can simply go 45MPH on the highway and not have that issue.

zimage7111.png
If you happened to know that in some of the latest releases that the Supercharger estimator has gone weird, you may be able to understand it. It just happened to my wife driving back home on a 200+ mile that she started with the battery partially full. The router was giving some really stupid answers.

If you've drive 11,000 miles in one, which one and how much range did you get?

dandor

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

zimage7111.png
You do realize that this supercharger is 150kW and if they were parked next to someone that they would share that power? Thank you for your great information once again!

dandor

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Woodrick mentioned a driving style/charging procedure that he refers to as "fast/low" which he says may be the best way to travel longer distances in EVs. Basically, he suggests that the EV be driven fast (at least at normal highway speeds) until the battery level is really low, then recharge just enough to repeat the process until the next charger. From my understanding, he's saying that this would get you to your destination the fastest way possible. Have you tried this? What do you think about it?
You always want to pull into Superchargers at 10% or lower. In California there are so many Superchargers on the highway, that I will go past the recommended one and hit the next one with a lower state of charge. You also need to know which Superchargers are 150 kW and 250 kW. Never stop at a 150 kW charger unless you have no other option. Even if they are all open, it just takes someone parking next to you kill your charging time.

scottyah

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mountaineer
Country flag
They just aren't true.

These statements are just getting more and more convoluted as time goes on. People keep adding their spin on it and they spin into crap.

Hey man I want to believe as much as the next guy, but your strategy of literally ignoring all evidence (including posted livestreams) and waiting until you get the numbers you want is...kinda crazy.

I'm still very hopeful and even confident that the ranges will start to increase and charge rates will decrease as data is drawn from the fleet, but it's pretty ludicrous to ignore the only real data we have right now.

OP
OP
Gigahorse

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1 Million Miles on ICE Toyotas, Waiting for CT
Hey man I want to believe as much as the next guy, but your strategy of literally ignoring all evidence (including posted livestreams) and waiting until you get the numbers you want is...kinda crazy.

I'm still very hopeful and even confident that the ranges will start to increase and charge rates will decrease as data is drawn from the fleet, but it's pretty ludicrous to ignore the only real data we have right now.
Pretty much..........I am truly hopeful the charge times are fixed with software and the new version of the 2680 batteries. But ignoring a ton of real world data that is coming in, hoping it is ALL wrong is pretty nuts.
Not the news any of us wanted, but it is some news after waiting 4+ years and helpful for those of us deciding to pony up for FS or look at another vehicle.

OP
OP
Gigahorse

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You do realize that this supercharger is 150kW and if they were parked next to someone that they would share that power? Thank you for your great information once again!
Will just leave this here.................
Tesla Cybertruck Range for AWD Cybertruck 200-250 miles after many real world tests zimage7115
Tesla Cybertruck Range for AWD Cybertruck 200-250 miles after many real world tests zimage7113

Tesla Cybertruck Range for AWD Cybertruck 200-250 miles after many real world tests zimage7116

Most would say that a 55min charge session to get to the next supercharger isn't a quick stop

Tesla Cybertruck Range for AWD Cybertruck 200-250 miles after many real world tests zimage7111

Tesla Cybertruck Range for AWD Cybertruck 200-250 miles after many real world tests zimage7112

HitchHiker71

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 RAM 1500 Limited Tungsten Edition
Occupation
IT Director
Country flag
They just aren't true.

Not sure why you would say these statements just aren't true. There are now a number of charging videos showing that it takes roughly 50 minutes to charge from 15-90%, 45 minutes to charge from 15-85% and 40 minutes to charge from 15-80% online - these are real world charging sessions using preconditioning and V3 250kw chargers. These aren't the predictive navigation charging times - these are actual real world charging sessions. Given the larger 123kwh battery pack - and the fact that 4680 packs haven't shown the fastest charging times previously, none of this should come as a surprise. Sure, it will get better as Tesla receives more telemetry on the 4680 packs - but this is what most early adopter CT owners - unlike anyone here - are seeing.

I'll certainly tend to believe real world reported CT charging sessions over internet theory any day of the week. That's all we really have to go on and seeing with our own eyes real world owners showing their experiences - while admittedly anecdotal - the vast majority of which are actually from Tesla employee owned CTs mind you - is certainly worthwhile to discuss and report - regardless of whether it enthuses the strong fanboy base on this forum.

Last edited:

HitchHiker71

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Director
Country flag
You always want to pull into Superchargers at 10% or lower. In California there are so many Superchargers on the highway, that I will go past the recommended one and hit the next one with a lower state of charge. You also need to know which Superchargers are 150 kW and 250 kW. Never stop at a 150 kW charger unless you have no other option. Even if they are all open, it just takes someone parking next to you kill your charging time.
I know the recent holiday update purported to have some SC filtering features - I was hoping for a simple toggle to include/exclude V2/V3 stations for example - but apparently it's only a <>70kw charging toggle - which to me at least doesn't appear very useful. That said - I haven't actually played around with this new feature yet - has anyone else?

HitchHiker71

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Director
Country flag
Pretty much..........I am truly hopeful the charge times are fixed with software and the new version of the 2680 batteries. But ignoring a ton of real world data that is coming in, hoping it is ALL wrong is pretty nuts.
Not the news any of us wanted, but it is some news after waiting 4+ years and helpful for those of us deciding to pony up for FS or look at another vehicle.
The Gen1 4680 packs had some charging issues without a doubt. From recent reports, yet to be proven out in the field, the Gen2 4680 packs resolved many of the reported heat related issues that prevented higher kw charging speeds over a broader CC. I'd surmise that Tesla is intentionally being conservative with the early adopter CTs to collect more real world data before making software BMS improvements. I suspect we'll see at least some improvements during 2024 and on into 2025 purely from additional telemetry over time. I've also seen at least some evidence that we'll see additional improvements with the newer NMC955/973 chemistries - but that'll likely take more time of course.

OP
OP
Gigahorse

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Not sure how I missed this thread but just want to add my own datapoint.

7,xxx miles
405 Wh/hr
Mostly highway
AWD + AT Tires
Wow 7k miles, that is a ton of driving! Hope you are enjoying your truck.

dandor

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Not sure why you would say these statements just aren't true. There are now a number of charging videos showing that it takes roughly 50 minutes to charge from 15-90%, 45 minutes to charge from 15-85% and 40 minutes to charge from 15-80% online - these are real world charging sessions using preconditioning and V3 250kw chargers. These aren't the predictive navigation charging times - these are actual real world charging sessions. Given the larger 123kwh battery pack - and the fact that 4680 packs haven't shown the fastest charging times previously, none of this should come as a surprise. Sure, it will get better as Tesla receives more telemetry on the 4680 packs - but this is what most early adopter CT owners - unlike anyone here - are seeing. I'll trust the actual owner experiences over an internet poser any day of the week thank you very much.
Twice the battery, twice the charging time.

Looking at the charging curves, it looks like the optimal charging is to be below 10% and charge to 60% max. That should be about 20/25 minutes. If the charging network supports this, like up and down the I5 or 99 in California, that is the most time efficient way to travel. Other parts of the US will struggle more.

I take my kids on long trips and we have a blast in our cars, even if we wait more. We always like to stop to get coffee or pick a stop that has something to do. Lots of great Tesla Supercharger locations. The kids have a great time with games and Caroake. Casa de Fruta Supercharger always ends up with the kids/wife not wanting to leave. If your key requirement is to get to point A to B as quick as possible, get a F150 ICE Truck. It is as simple as that. My long trips are enjoyable even with the extra time to charge. If you hate your family and want to get to your destination as quick as possible, don't get an EV. ;)
Sponsored