Really Any Rhyme or Reason to RN and VIN Ordering?

themuleman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Exp Max Ltd, 2021 Ford F350 Ltd
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
Nothing is noteworthy here, but in my impatience, I thought I would ask the crowd what you all thought. I'm starting to think it doesn't matter when you ordered, configured, etc. For example, we were told Beasts wouldn't be around until the end of 2024—nope, they're being delivered. Another example is that people who configured in mid-December haven't received VINs, but people who configured in February have (and some delivered). These observations are, of course, based on what I'm seeing on these Cybertruck Owners Club forums (of which I'm starting to question their veracity).

What say you all?
Sponsored

mark555055c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Cybertruck AWD FS, 2019 Silverado Trail Boss
Country flag
The order of operations is:

By activated state
By accelerated delivery (referral & shareholder folks).
By res # (mostly RN1127x currently)

For instance:

A person in NY who has no accelerated delivery in RN1128x, is not even on the radar at the moment it seems. In TX & CA, they are well into RN1128x getting VINs.

There are some lucky folks here and there who haven't exactly followed this order, but it holds true for the most part.

Last edited:

Harley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 Highlander, 10 GL450, 03 Vette, 69 Mustang
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
And to add to the mystery, got my VIN earlier this week, five days after a friend got his VIN even though his config date was only one day before mine. But, my VIN is a lower number than his.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Nothing is noteworthy here, but in my impatience, I thought I would ask the crowd what you all thought. I'm starting to think it doesn't matter when you ordered, configured, etc. For example, we were told Beasts wouldn't be around until the end of 2024—nope, they're being delivered. Another example is that people who configured in mid-December haven't received VINs, but people who configured in February have (and some delivered). These observations are, of course, based on what I'm seeing on these Cybertruck Owners Club forums (of which I'm starting to question their veracity).

What say you all?
Group all of the reservations by state, Put CA and TX first.
Send out Foundation Series invites slowly, but starting with CA and TX and then a few thousand a week afterwards, but focusing on groups of states. It seems that Tesa is doing this for only mayve the first week of reservations.
Go pick out some VIPs
Take some employees to the front of the bins.

Start deliveries to some states, then to other states.

It actually makes a lot of sense and is what they've done with other vehicles.

But it does tend to take a Masters degree to understand.

OP
OP

themuleman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
Group all of the reservations by state, Put CA and TX first.
Send out Foundation Series invites slowly, but starting with CA and TX and then a few thousand a week afterwards, but focusing on groups of states. It seems that Tesa is doing this for only mayve the first week of reservations.
Go pick out some VIPs
Take some employees to the front of the bins.

Start deliveries to some states, then to other states.

It actually makes a lot of sense and is what they've done with other vehicles.

But it does tend to take a Masters degree to understand.

Interesting, I think. Why do you think the FS invites go out slowly? I was under the impression these were the FIRST to go out (and by that I mean expedited VINs). Again, I understand we're speculating, but I'm still curious to get everyone's take.

CTforTC

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S (2), Y, 3
Occupation
Finance
Country flag
One theory relates to image, perceptions, and sales data. It takes 5 fewer hours to travel from Austin to California than it does to New York, and 10 fewer hours relative to Florida. So, to bolster deliveries, Tesla appears to favor those states. Second, it is obviously colder in the northeast where, as I know from having a Tesla since 2016 (and have four in the household), miles per charge are lower — so it is better for perceptions about the CT’s actual mileage to ship to warm climates. I ordered on January 11th in NJ, RN11282; no VIN.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Interesting, I think. Why do you think the FS invites go out slowly? I was under the impression these were the FIRST to go out (and by that I mean expedited VINs). Again, I understand we're speculating, but I'm still curious to get everyone's take.
They were the first, and only to go out. They did not send them all out at the same time, they have been doing them weekly.

Basically the first week invites were CA and TX, second week added more states, third added even more and so on.
And after they opened all (or at least some) of the states, they seemed to go back and include more people from the already opened states.

So basically reservations were used to create order invites.
Accepted orders are then used to determine VINs/deliveries.

And then for Beasts, add a whole new queue for accepted orders.

OP
OP

themuleman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
One theory relates to image, perceptions, and sales data. It takes 5 fewer hours to travel from Austin to California than it does to New York, and 10 fewer hours relative to Florida. So, to bolster deliveries, Tesla appears to favor those states. Second, it is obviously colder in the northeast where, as I know from having a Tesla since 2016 (and have four in the household), miles per charge are lower — so it is better for perceptions about the CT’s actual mileage to ship to warm climates. I ordered on January 11th in NJ, RN11282; no VIN.
The logistics angle and battery perceptions make sense. It's not warm here in Reno either, and I'm a 11283 config from Jan18, no VIN. There might be something to it.

mark555055c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Cybertruck AWD FS, 2019 Silverado Trail Boss
Country flag
I don't buy the weather region delivery theory. If this was a thing, they simply would have delayed FS invites to folks in the colder states and set those delivery estimates to be closer to spring. Additionally, they barely have delivered any units to states surrounding TX which are equally as warm.

Last edited:

CTforTC

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S (2), Y, 3
Occupation
Finance
Country flag
I don't buy the weather region delivery theory. If this was a thing, they simply would have delayed FS invites to folks in the colder states and set those delivery estimates to be closer to spring. Additionally, they barely have delivered any units to states surrounding TX which are equally as warm.
You are probably right — I am just venting. I can be patient.