Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck, tri-motor, and dual motor.
Occupation
Machine fabrication
Country flag
I really, really like that. But I'm fairly certain that the wall structure separating the bed and cab is needed structurally.
For sure. It would add a lot of weight to get that strength back from other areas of the vehicle.

Reactions: Geo

Ecskjry

First Name
Kjell-Ă…ke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X3
Occupation
Brand Manager
Country flag
Videos from inside with the cover closed shows the loading area, so I guess the cover is only guided on the sides and not dependent on this wall. That is if it is rolled-up underneath.

SpaceDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Kia Sportage PHEV... 2025+ GMC Denali EV
Occupation
Space Cowboy
Country flag
Exactly I fail to see how the cover operates if the wall is folded down.
Maybe the cover rolls down into the floor. Then the pass through could open either when the cover is on all the way, or down all the way.

Or maybe it's a half wall and not a full wall. Might be constrained under the floor by whatever is underneath (batteries?).

SpaceDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Space Cowboy
Country flag

SpaceDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Space Cowboy
Country flag
Hmm, I not think the cover inside the wall as it's folded front is a great idea. I would be sad if that was the case because I want to have the cover closed and open depending on the situation. Cover open for pop up tent. Cover closed for secure sleeping in a Walmart parking lot in Detroit. Let's imagine that if the cover is closed wall can be folded down out of the way and then the door can retract to the floor level. If the wall is up it only retracts to the wall height to prevent mulch from falling into the wall when the front end loader drops it into the bed. There must be sensors on the cover to prevent your fingers from falling off if you close it and your fingers are at the tailgate, hopefully the same sensors would prevent your head from falling off if someone opens the cover while you are sleeping.
Walmart in Detroit?? Someone would just steal the whole truck with you in it. LOL! ;)

SpaceDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Space Cowboy
Country flag
Could the wall be a "pass-through" for the cover when locked in the upright position? So you would just have to have the cover either up or down before lowering the wall flat? It would also need to house the glass window too correct?

I'm also thinking you may have to remove the back seats if you want it actually flat...which would be a pain. Hopefully, there would be enough room to just fold the seats down even if it means a slight incline (like all the current Telsas have now). While flat would be preferred, I don't think a slight incline is a deal killer.
Even if you had to remove the back seat, if the front seat is bench style, there would be plenty of room for 3 people, 4 if they're not too big.
That would be cool, 2 or 3 up front and a WHOLE LOT of room in back.

Cybercarlson

First Name
T.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
chevy K1500 decades ago, M3, MY, New Beetle
Country flag
Sorry for this long post (lock down syndrom?).... open your mind, take a drink, sit back and enjoy.

I do not envy the people in RD stuck with solving this problem...... a real challenge and a big opportunity to make the CT much more versatile.

On the other hand there are places where they can get ideas and use the swarm intelligence to come up with a better solution.
Thanks for getting this forum stated so early. (y)

Considering that CT is after all the ultimate "outdoor" vehicle it will be:
  • wet??
  • dirty:poop:
  • covered in mud, dust, leaves???
  • and to "top it off" with snow /ice!❄⛄
If you factor in those problems you will not realy want the vault cover to roll into any inner part of the CT.
Just lift up your car floor mat and be surprised what has found its way under there.?

With icing on/in (it) it would just not bend / work at all.
There will be so many complains and warranty work ahaed.

This is allready true for the current CT prototype!o_O
Yes there is "room for improvement" to quote Elon, no pun intended.
And there is still time to do it.

Just think about rolling up the vault cover in winter. Not everybody lives in California.

Yes I know that a pickup bed is normaly "open to weather" 24/7.
But customers like their cargo to stay clean and dry.
That is a reason why so many aftermarket TopCovers are sold any way.
It was the frist thing I bought for my K1500 back in 1995.......

Having a waterfall/avalanche drench everything while opening the Top is sub optimal......

It is like those cars that "wet your seat" when you open the door, or the "NEW" VW BUG where the water collected on top of the spoiler gushes into the trunk when you open it, right on you shopping.?

Let us try to come up with a better solution.
Here is my train of thought, no patent pending (just make all CTs better for all) :

The guiding rails should go OVER the glas roof, maybe even, while opening, extend themselfs over the windshild. Why?

It is the solution to so many problems and the base for further CT ad ons.
  • the vault cover can be ridged > cheaper, stronger, solar panel freindly,
  • have a raingutter at the end.
  • railsystem acts as a raingutter, draining roof and vault cover.
  • cleanable by pressure washer and/or self cleaning.
  • stationary (fully open) it can act as a shade to protect the passenger compartment.
  • under way only one separation is needed to have the compleet bed open (ATV, high cargo)
  • propultion left and right in the C-Pillar, simple strong gear drive, stainless will last forever.
  • no dirt, moisture, bird pup,etc. in the vehicle > no smell and rotting inside.
  • easy to take out to the rear to store/clean stuff off, without climing the CT >safe/simple
  • if taken out the railsystem can be used for add ons, moved and secured by the propultion.
  • everything can be mounted and dismounted fast and easy:
  • cargo space enlargements, camping top, racks, slid in camper (pulled in by CTs propultion)
  • it will support a semi transparent roof rack (solar extenion?) while under way.
  • freeing the deviding wall to the cargo bed from the "curtain function" ,
  • thus making it easy to have a lowering window and a folding, upper, part of the wall.
Feel free to make a rendering of my thoughts.
I know there are creativ pros galore around here.
:)
Thank you for reading to the end.

akia123

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy impala
Country flag
could you give a rough sketch of what you are trying to explain? Not quite picturing what you are describing

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
Sorry for this long post (lock down syndrom?).... open your mind, take a drink, sit back and enjoy.

I do not envy the people in RD stuck with solving this problem...... a real challenge and a big opportunity to make the CT much more versatile.

On the other hand there are places where they can get ideas and use the swarm intelligence to come up with a better solution.

• wet??
If you factor in those problems you will not realy want the vault cover to roll into any inner part of the CT.
Just lift up your car floor mat and be surprised what has found its way under there.?

Just think about rolling up the vault cover in winter. Not everybody lives in California.

Having a waterfall/avalanche drench everything while opening the Top is sub optimal......

It is like those cars that "wet your seat" when you open the door, or the "NEW" VW BUG where the water collected on top of the spoiler gushes into the trunk when you open it, right on you shopping.?

Here is my train of thought, no patent pending (just make all CTs better for all) :

The guiding rails should go OVER the glas roof, maybe even, while opening, extend themselfs over the windshild. Why?

• stationary (fully open) it can act as a shade to protect the passenger compartment.
  • under way only one separation is needed to have the compleet bed open (ATV, high cargo)
  • propultion left and right in the C-Pillar, simple strong gear drive, stainless will last forever.
  • no dirt, moisture, bird pup,etc. in the vehicle > no smell and rotting inside.
  • easy to take out to the rear to store/clean stuff off, without climing the CT >safe/simple
  • if taken out the railsystem can be used for add ons, moved and secured by the propultion.
  • cargo space enlargements, camping top, racks, slid in camper (pulled in by CTs propultion)
  • it will support a semi transparent roof rack (solar extenion?) while under way.
  • thus making it easy to have a lowering window and a folding, upper, part of the wall.
Keep in mind the bed is bigger than the roof and you can't go over the peak of the roof with the cover. Even if you could do that, you'd be unable to drive while the cover was open because it would block the windshield. Rolling it into a canister behind the window works just fine. I had one and definitely lived where it got cold and snowy and didn't have an issue. Although, I must admit, I don't recall ever opening it when it was covered in snow...

Cybercarlson

First Name
T.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
chevy K1500 decades ago, M3, MY, New Beetle
Country flag
@TyPope

I have thought of that too :

Explanation:
If you have to drive with open VAULT, just remove the part that is too long and have the rest "parked" over the glas roof. Therefore you need one separation.

Stationary the compleet vault cover would stick out over the windshield (you need selfextending rails / the stiff cover),
just like a awning or the visor on a baseballcap, it sticks out but does not realy block your forward view.

Allthough I would not recommend driving (fast) with it stuck out.......
it could be a sever case of "the bends" waiting ahead.

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
No idea what I'm talking about, but how about the tonneau rolling into the outside of the tailgate or below the tailgate and under/into the cybertruck? If there is snow, it would fall off behind the cybertruck before being rolled up or going under/into the truck.

Sputter

First Name
Herbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Model 3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

• wet??

Great idea. for the reasons you itemized about the rain and dirt getting into the passenger compartment, I withdraw my suggestion of making the tonneau cover roll up under the glass roof. either has the benefit of providing a temporary sunscreen when the CYBRTRK is parked all day in the Arizona sun. (Plus I overlooked the fact that the roof was narrower than the tonneau cover. My bad.
Sponsored