Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla MY, 2001 ford Sportrac
Occupation
mech design engineer-ret.
Country flag
during the rivian video when the truck was crawling up the rock strewn hill whenever a tire would leave the ground is would spin rapidly. There is something wrong with their programming. When there is no load on a wheel the speed of that wheel should return to the speed of the vehicle over the terrain for best traction.
Sponsored

cybertruck808

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Renegade
Occupation
Military
Country flag
I hope that Rivian is successful (and if they go public, I will be buying stock :D) as I view competition in the EV world as important to ensuring quality products and innovation in the short and long term. That said--and this is true for any EV--absent an extensive, nationwide super charger network, I would NEVER actually buy a Rivian even if I wasn't already planning to buy the cybertruck. That is and I believe will continue to be a major limiting factor for many of these companies that are behind the curve in terms of fast charging stations.

I get that there is still a ways to go, but this is something that Tesla competitors need to be seriously considering.

At my condo complex in Hawaii, there are zero EV chargers, so I will be relying on Tesla super chargers stations (they are building two of them now on Oahu). The inability to fast charge a vehicle would be a deal breaker for me.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
I hope that Rivian is successful (and if they go public, I will be buying stock :D) as I view competition in the EV world as important to ensuring quality products and innovation in the short and long term. That said--and this is true for any EV--absent an extensive, nationwide super charger network, I would NEVER actually buy a Rivian even if I wasn't already planning to buy the cybertruck. That is and I believe will continue to be a major limiting factor for many of these companies that are behind the curve in terms of fast charging stations.

I get that there is still a ways to go, but this is something that Tesla competitors need to be seriously considering.

At my condo complex in Hawaii, there are zero EV chargers, so I will be relying on Tesla super chargers stations (they are building two of them now on Oahu). The inability to fast charge a vehicle would be a deal breaker for me.
In Dec. I was visiting Hawaii and was surprised how few EV's are there. My thoughts were that living on such a small Island, you don't need that much range. No such thing as a road trip. However I can see in your situation, owning a EV would have challenges. I salute you for taking on those challenges.

cybertruck808

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Renegade
Occupation
Military
Country flag
In Dec. I was visiting Hawaii and was surprised how few EV's are there. My thoughts were that living on such a small Island, you don't need that much range. No such thing as a road trip. However I can see in your situation, owning a EV would have challenges. I salute you for taking on those challenges.
Thanks! I'm curious where you visited in Hawaii. On Oahu, I constantly saw EVs, though I'd imagine that they aren't as plentiful on the other islands.

solarsteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvette C7 Z51, Subaru Forester, Outback
Occupation
Solar Advocate, Full Time Student, Voice Over Artist, Poet
Country flag
So, when I look at the Rivian truck I just think, its old school design.
Now I understand what Elon was thinking, when he came up with a "Back to the Future" design. It just obsoletes the truck model, we are familiar with. I've ordered the Dual Motor, AWD, and it could be years before I take delivery, and by then, the current F150, Tundra, Silverado, along with Rivian, are all going to look even more out of date. Elon just moves the future, with technology as well as design, he's a formidable genius, and the stock market, at (-1700 x earnings) stock price confirms, future sentiment rocks.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Thanks! I'm curious where you visited in Hawaii. On Oahu, I constantly saw EVs, though I'd imagine that they aren't as plentiful on the other islands.
I stayed on the North Shore of Oahu. Coming from California, everywhere I go seems like a small amount. ;)

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Boss 302 Mustang, 2019 Ninja 1000, Tri-Motor Cybertruck Preorder
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Recent Rivian vids (ads) about offroad capabilities are astonishing. Highly adjustable suspension height, 4 axle motors, 400 mile range, 3 sec - 0 to 60, huge storage, $ 61 K ish with tax rebates... Cybertruck has a true ev rival...
Is it bullet and sledgehammer proof? Because since Cybertruck was unveiled, those are requirements for me ;)
Sponsored