Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Same question on the render done in this forum(???).
I take most renders with a big grain of salt. Lots of people with graphics skills don't understand engineering or care what effect their cool looking mod would have on performance.

They don't see past "Here's this cool looking thing" and recognize it cause the truck's range to drop for 500 miles to 300.
Sponsored

jhogan2424

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Moped
If you try to go dually, you are likely going to have to rebuild the whole rear end of the truck since it's being built around rear wheel steering. Lots of custom/ one off parts.
I agree, it would be a major undertaking due to both design and the actual fabrication. Even if you could pull that off, the range would be extremely short if you loaded it to the point where a dually is necessary. With all that said, it would be cool to have a dually version with no rear steering and have double the battery pack that could charge at both superchargers and the semi chargers. If offered at $100,000 the price would still be comparable to typical ice duallys although range could still be an issue.

jhogan2424

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Moped
Am surprised myself when I read it. But then, CT is bigger and wider than the 1-tons out there, so... maybe.
Iā€˜ve never put a tape to mine but I donā€™t think CT is wider than the duals but I could be wrong. Actually Iā€™m almost certain itā€™s not, my truck is freakin wide in my driveway. If the CT is wider I will not be able to go through my main bankā€™s drive thru. I have about 2 inches on each side to spare as it is.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Huh, I wonder if you sacrificed some of the suspension dynamics to get stiffness you could pull the second wheel inward instead of outward for the heavy duty Cybertruck version...

Anyhow! I'm very conscientious about speed limits ^-^ But mountains are tough on brakes and tires. And with my current car - which is heavier than my earlier choices - I prefer adhesion over mileage.

-Crissa

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
Iā€˜ve never put a tape to mine but I donā€™t think CT is wider than the duals but I could be wrong. Actually Iā€™m almost certain itā€™s not, my truck is freakin wide in my driveway. If the CT is wider I will not be able to go through my main bankā€™s drive thru. I have about 2 inches on each side to spare as it is.
The BODY dimensions of the CT are almost as big as those of a Ram full-size truck. It is definitely narrower than the dually's tire width. God I hate driving those things.

webroady

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Toyota Scion xB, 2009 F250
Occupation
retired
Country flag
They are noisy as hell and vibrate like crazy. They are not meant for pavement.

I used to run 33" BFG Mud Terrains on my old Toyota 4x4 ('86). People would turn to see who was coming down the road.....but man were they great in Denver snowstorms!

Even when I switched to all-terrains (not as aggressive), the were loud. They are also horrible on gas mileage.

The only sticker shock will be for people who haven't bought truck tires before.

And the price has definitely gone up. I used to get those mud terrains for $150/ea in the 90s. Last year I paid $700 just for four Model 3 tires.
My 2009 F250 tires last year, including new spare, was $1600. Brake overhaul another $1600. Baby was expensive last year. Eagerly awaiting my CT3 FSD, probably 4-5 years off as there are a million trucks ahead of mine in the queue. Probably will sell F250 when I get CT. Or I might keep it as long as I can as some of the places I go don't have any SC stations within 50 miles and range pulling a trailer will suffer.

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
Going to be a sticker shock with required tire size especially after no oil change costs.

I turn into a crotchety old man when paying for consumables. ?
You could always put undersized tires on it, but I'm going to laugh at you if you do that ?

35x12.5 are expensive, but I'm probably going to get all terrains when it's time to replace. I expect a good set of BFGs to be around $300 each. Then mounting and balancing. And I'm going to getting a spare too.... So yeah. Large vehicles are more expensive.

Coming from a suped up Wrangler Rubicon, I'm not too concerned.

Edit: I forgot to mention the wheels. I prefer steel wheels. So I'm probably going to swap out the wheels to 16" steels after my first set of stock tires. Then re-rubber both sets of wheels... God, that'll suck. I just really want to keep the original look for fun.

Last edited:
OP
OP

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
You could always put undersized tires on it, but I'm going to laugh at you if you do that
I will have the ugliest commuting tires and will not care as I am commuting and making a sandwich on the kitchen countertop of a dashboard,

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
Edit: I forgot to mention the wheels. I prefer steel wheels. So I'm probably going to swap out the wheels to 16" steels after my first set of stock tires. Then re-rubber both sets of wheels... God, that'll suck. I just really want to keep the original look for fun.
Almost zero chance that 16s will fit on there. Even my Gladiator can't; the brakes are too big. I expect the CT to require 17s minimum, and possibly even larger.

BFG ATs are the worst thing I've been cursed with and never again.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I saw an F150 the other day with low profile off road tires...

I've seen trucks with low profile city tires and they look stupid enough, but low profile off road tires? Just dumb.

Edit: Example image stolen from the web, the ones I saw had even more aggressive knobs.

Tesla Cybertruck Replacement tire price will be a shock iu-1

When I get a little time I'll photoshop some of these bad boys onto a CT.

Last edited:

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
That looks Photoshopped and has terrible HDR. Also it seems unlikely that those tires could even be driven to that location at all.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
That looks Photoshopped and has terrible HDR. Also it seems unlikely that those tires could even be driven to that location at all.
That location looks like a gravel parking lot to me I would take my Model Y there. Regardless, photo is just an example of what I saw IRL in the wildā€¦. At a pizza place, not off roading.

Edit: Took me a second to realize what you meant by HDR because I was I was thinking about tires not photography. I'm not sure it's HDR so much as just turning the saturation way up in the image to emphasize that gold bling. I really need to do this CT photoshop now.

Last edited:
OP
OP

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
FWIW, what bugs me about stupid tires on a truck is how fundamentally upside down it is.

A truck is big, handles poorly, and is very inefficient compared to any car. They make up for it by bringing tons of utility. Adding lift, then putting stupid tires on it and its just a dangerous, inefficient fashion statement.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I'll be buying the OEM tires from you folks who want to upgrade or change to whatever. Sell me your barely used tires at 50% off original so you can shine on at the car shows.
Sponsored