Reservation and data biases creating discord in our community?

Wraven

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Foundations CyberBeast, M3P, MYP
Country flag
Preamble:
Before I go into this - I want to thank anyone and everyone that has contributed their intellectual energy, time and enthusiasm. This is simply another way for us to look at the current situation and debate if we should realign expectations.

Body of Thought:
Its possible that there are biases emerging that this website (and others) have created by identifying a pattern of incremental ascending numbers of the reservations for Cybertruck. Listing these and then estimating where someone is in an assumed sequential order. This (by evidence of many threads and posts) is creating mindshare of the general population that their reservations would be serviced sequentially because the numbers incrementally ascended and many speculated data formatting highlights that to these individuals.

Folks have a reservation for the Cybertruck but the data currently is clearly highlighting there is some other variables/formula for when an individual is offered to configure their Cybertruck. While spreadsheets and primary functions of this site and others continue to communicate thats an individuals reservation is a "place in a sequential line".

Something to consider - these assumptions made by "us" fans/enthusiasts/excel gurus has contributed to a biased built that we clearly are seeing is not reality and causing a negative discourse.

Post Thought as I was typing this:
Maybe these unknown variables/formulas is only for the Foundation Series and it will move sequentially after that but right now thats an assumption with no real world data. (Yet the current tools and data are shaping expectations and biases)
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wraven

Wraven

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Foundations CyberBeast, M3P, MYP
Country flag
I just want to say again - I'm very excited by the data and the work many individuals are putting in and I'm very glad and grateful to have that available to the community. This is just a thought exercise about how biases are created and unintended consequences of miss-aligned expectations.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
As we all know, the initial deliveries, whether they have reservation numbers or not, will go to friends, employees, and illuminati. When will that end? Perhaps a few thousand? I don't claim to know. Yes, none of us know what the current algorithm is, but we know that geography and associated logistics play into it. Even for the FS trucks. So we have to get past the FS stage to see any form of algorithm that will apply to the larger number of RNs. Only then will we be able to determine or decide on the sequentiality of the ordering invitations. I suspect that it will remain heavily geographical and logistics based for some time to come but as to other factors I refuse to guess.

Broski

First Name
Broski
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Interesting topic. I wonder if original reservations that included trimotor and full self driving would be prioritized as those reservations could argue would be more likely to convert at the current available, much higher priced foundation series offering?

carsly

First Name
Vin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LR Defender, Tesla Model S
Country flag
I think the idea here is an important one. Others have debated potential variables that could be in the mix:
- number of prior Tesla cars owned
- proximity to Tesla service center (I'd offer that it's unlikely all Tesla techs/service centers have been trained on Cybertruck as of yet, so proximity to service center with trained techs - which we don't know - may be the actual factor at work)

If I were issuing invites, I'd build a predictive model based on probability to purchase and issue invites that way regardless of reservation number. That model could/would likely include variables such as:
- credit score
- estimated household income
- zip code (another income proxy)
- debt to income level
- available credit

...and my wildcard...number of shares beneficially held. In fact, your Tesla account has a facility to upload verification of shareholdings. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if number of shares held, and duration of ownership, were factors involved in the invitation process.

I don't work for Tesla, know anyone who works for Tesla, or have any inside information. I do hold a December 2019 reservation (no invitation to configure yet), a reasonable credit score, and a paltry number of Tesla shares.

Last edited:

hatfield

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 GMC Canyon, 2005 Chevy SSR
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
Except when paying cash, what does credit score, income, debt ratio & available credit matter? Perhaps cash buyers would be a good priority target?

rudedawg78

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired USAF, Emergency Manager
Country flag
I'm good. I want all the initial bugs and kinks worked out of the foundation Cybertrucks before I take delivery of mine. :)

heems

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y AWD, 2024 Cybertruck FS AWD
Country flag
There is no line. Itā€™s an illusion because the reservation numbers appear sequential.

Tesla Cybertruck Reservation and data biases creating discord in our community? IMG_5068

carsly

First Name
Vin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LR Defender, Tesla Model S
Country flag
Except when paying cash, what does credit score, income, debt ratio & available credit matter? Perhaps cash buyers would be a good priority target?
You can pull all of the variables I noted from a credit bureau report. I don't know where a company could access cash holding data in one centralized repository, ideas?

UnRich1

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TriMotor CyberTruck ordered , Kia Teluride, D1500
Occupation
Retired Diplomat
Country flag
I think the idea here is an important one. Others have debated potential variables that could be in the mix:
- number of prior Tesla cars owned
- proximity to Tesla service center (I'd offer that it's unlikely all Tesla techs/service centers have been trained on Cybertruck as of yet, so proximity to service center with trained techs - which we don't know - may be the actual factor at work)

If I were issuing invites, I'd build a predictive model based on probability to purchase and issue invites that way regardless of reservation number. That model could/would likely include variables such as:
- credit score
- estimated household income
- zip code (another income proxy)
- debt to income level
- available credit

...and my wildcard...number of shares beneficially held. In fact, your Tesla account has a facility to upload verification of shareholdings. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if number of shares held, and duration of ownership, were factors involved in the invitation process.

I don't work for Tesla, know anyone who works for Tesla, or have any inside information. I do hold a December 2019 reservation (no invitation to configure yet), a reasonable credit score, and a paltry number of Tesla shares.
Iā€™m right there with you.

mrbulk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S75D
Country flag
Got the invite day after Christmas and configured right away (RN112787xxx), not an employee and donā€™t know any, never held any shares of Tesla stock, not an influencer nor illuminati, donā€™t live near a Tesla factoryā€¦although thisā€™ll be our 4th Tesla beginning with a late 2017 lease of a 2018 Model S75D.
Just an FYI. Thass muh story an ahā€™m stickinā€™ to it. šŸ˜Ž

Chris9702L

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda ridgeline
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
It would go a long way if they would just come out on the order they are going with. Communication is key. I understand if employees and CA/TX get first dibs. But itā€™s just puzzling to other people and myself as to the order they are going. Iā€™m kinda glad Iā€™m at 11284 because Iā€™d be tempted to buy a foundation if I got the invite.

Fleetwood75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model X, 2017 GMC Yukon
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Country flag
A certain level of discord will persist in the community as long as there is high demand concurrent with a supply constraint. I saw this already in the TMC forums while waiting 450 days from reservation-to-delivery on the refresh Model X. During that it seemed like Tesla was randomly handing VIN's out to people regardless of original order date.

When Tesla reaches a point where Reservation-to-Delivery times are like 6 weeks instead of 4 years then this discord will go away but until then people will always find a reason to be upset.

Sousray

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 M3
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Regardless of the Algorithm used, It still is not fair to the people that had no hesitation and placed a reservation order as quick as possible on the day of the launch in Nov 2019. Like most corporations, loyalty does not matter as much as the all mighty dollar. I have all the checkmarks: money, credit, income, location, Tesla Owner, and even work for a supplier of CT Components, but what I don't have is Tesla Employee, influencer, or stock (yet).
Just feel very disappointed since I am an early reservation holder 112745xxx.
I use to be so excited a few months ago when I thought I would be one of the first to get mine.
Even got my personal licence plate and placed it on my Model 3.
Now I am over the hype and using more intellect and less emotion in my decision to buy and when.
Now I can wait, but this still changes my overall opinion about the way Tesla treats its customers.
Sponsored