Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
How can anybody have waited 5 years when it has only been 3 years since Cybertruck reveal date and reservations opened?
tell me what year you think you will realistically get your CT in and tell me how many years since the announcement?
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Also, crash tests without the giga casting would be invalid.
No.

The gigacasting is just a method of making a part. It can be made in smaller pieces or carved out of a bigger piece of aluminum. Crash tests aren't completely invalidated when you change how parts are made.

How would you create designs to be cast if you couldn't test them at all beforehand?

-Crissa

Don Kedick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3LR, Escalade
Country flag
How can anybody have waited 5 years when it has only been 3 years since Cybertruck reveal date and reservations opened?
Elon has been talking about Cybertruck well before the 11/21/19 unveiling. From the first tweet he mentioned making a truck I was already committed. Reserved mine when the website came back up after the Tesla site crashed spamming trying to get early in line.

RMK!

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Model 3 SR, CT on order
Country flag
No.

The gigacasting is just a method of making a part. It can be made in smaller pieces or carved out of a bigger piece of aluminum. Crash tests aren't completely invalidated when you change how parts are made.

How would you create designs to be cast if you couldn't test them at all beforehand?

-Crissa
Err well maybe ... but unless you're an Tesla insider, I have to question that emphatic no. How do you think they are going to cobble together a LARGE single piece casting for the CyberTruck out of pieces that would in any way represent an equivalent bottom casting holding the battery and joined to the Exoskeleton?

In any case NTSA may be just that lax in their testing requirement but I would think an "as built" vehicle would be essential for Crash testing and rating. They should only test production vehicles, not preproduction samples not manufactured with the same structural components.

Last edited:

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
--------------------------------------

These Are The Most Expensive Pickup Trucks Ever Produced * Most are currently available
By Mark Cowley Updated Oct 13, 2021
https://www.hotcars.com/these-are-the-most-expensive-pickup-trucks-ever-produced/

Hennessey's VelociRaptor 6X6 start at $349,000 and it can be ordered through select Hennessey/Ford dealers. The price includes the brand-new Raptor 4-door truck, and Hennessey then goes to work and upgrades it with 6X6 locking rear axles, upgraded Fox suspension, upgraded 20-inch wheels and off-road tires, special front and rear bumpers, rollbar, LED lights, upgraded turbochargers, a stainless-steel performance exhaust, an air-to-air intercooler, and a tuned ECU. For extra cost there are still many more options available.

Rezvani Hercules 6x6 - $259,000
American luxury truck maker Rezvani is headquartered in California.
Base-spec Hercules' can be had for just $175,000, but most buyers will opt for the $259,000 Military Edition.

Terradyne Gurkha Pickup - $325,000
Built by the Canadian manufacturer Terradyne.

Mercedes-AMG G63 6x6 Brabus - $1,000,000

-------------------

Dartz Prombrom - $1,250,000

Dartz Motorz Company is a privately held Latvia-based company, subsidiary of Estonian corporation Dartz Grupa OÜ, that designs, manufactures, and sells high performance armored vehicles. The company constituted itself from a renovated former Russo-Balt factory in Riga, Latvia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dartz

Dartz Motorz Company
https://dartzmotorz.com/carz/

--------------------------------------

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Great 30 CTs. That's almost insulting to the people who will have waited 5 years. This Twitter fiasco is certainly going to slow down the push to get the CT going. Why is it that it seems like the CT is an extremely low priority for Elon. It seems like all the other vehicles there was frequent information about Elon in the weeds figuring out how to make it the best ever and with the CT its like its just delayed again, they are worried about cost and maybe next year we will start producing it. It just really sucks.
Thats a lot of tooling for a special beta version.
I seriously doubt these trucks are being made for resale or without some purpose in the manufacturing process.

Most likely they are for testing, training, or to help develop the assembly line.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
I seriously doubt these trucks are being made for resale or without some purpose in the manufacturing process.

Most likely they are for testing, training, or to help develop the assembly line.
progress is progress i guess.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
When it was supposed to be launched last year, the media said it was already year late. So that added a year. Earlier this year Tesla said it was delayed from 2022 to middle of 2023. That’s an additional 6 months late for a total of 18 months. Add that to the 3 years we’ve actually waited and we’re already 4.5 years late even though it’s only 3 years from launch. Now the media is saying it won’t launch until December which adds another 6 months. So we’re at 5 years of waiting already and the truck is still 6-12 months out.

/s

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
I post Cybertruck stuff on the Internet and people like it.
Country flag
Great 30 CTs. That's almost insulting to the people who will have waited 5 years. This Twitter fiasco is certainly going to slow down the push to get the CT going. Why is it that it seems like the CT is an extremely low priority for Elon. It seems like all the other vehicles there was frequent information about Elon in the weeds figuring out how to make it the best ever and with the CT its like its just delayed again, they are worried about cost and maybe next year we will start producing it. It just really sucks.
It's not up to him, it hasn't been for awhile. Maybe people don't understand what a CEO does, but he can't control AIDA and IDRA tool manufacturing / development.

This thing is so utterly different from anything else...

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
I post Cybertruck stuff on the Internet and people like it.
Country flag
I work for a $1B company and sit 20 ft from the CEO all day. They are the driving force of a company- especially if they started the company. Its all about good leadership. And this Twitter egosplurge is not good leadership for Tesla at all. we will be lucky to see the CT in production by the end of next year at this rate.
You sounded SO GOOD up until that last sentence.

I don't think Twitter helps, but he has delegates.

This is like saying "Berlin won't work cause they're building Austin at the same time".

Berlin is outpacing Austin, where Elon "lives". I agree it's a huge waste, but it'll be fine and the Cybertruck will start deliveries in the summer 23'. Trust.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I think those two individual pads are actually for ONE press. It's about 100' long, I think this has to be horizontal vs vertical like the other press'.
Maybe but I asked him and he also thought it was for 2. I am basing my guess on the shape, as it is the same shape as the earlier pads, and that we know a second press is being made, but time will tell. I’d be happy if one was delivered soon.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I work for a $1B company and sit 20 ft from the CEO all day. They are the driving force of a company- especially if they started the company. Its all about good leadership. And this Twitter egosplurge is not good leadership for Tesla at all. we will be lucky to see the CT in production by the end of next year at this rate.
I like to believe that Giga Austin and all things Cybertruck manufacturing are on auto pilot now.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
No.

-Crissa
Not to mention that Tesla uses digital twins to do testing before they do physical testing, so they could do tests with multi-part or different manufacturing techniques.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
tell me what year you think you will realistically get your CT in and tell me how many years since the announcement?
The Cybertruck was revealed in late 2019 with initial availability expected to begin in late 2021. Then COVID happened. And the chip shortage. Tesla built a Gigafactory in Texas to produce it. Lots of things were late.

So what if it's 18 months late? What have you accomplished since November 11, 2019?
Sponsored