Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
You could tell the windshield was a prototype. It had significant irregularities in it.

It’s also HUGE! I shudder at the cost of a replacement windshield after a crack develops.
Nothing in that truck will be cheap to replace. I think Tesla designs everything primarily to reduce complexity in manufacturing. They design based on the assumption that all owners will have full coverage for the length of ownership. The problem with that philosophy is that as every little problem end up having an expensive solution (replacing the entire assembly instead of replacing the problem part), insurance companies will wise up and increase the cost of coverage. If you have a 6 year old CT and your break light goes out, be prepared for your insurance company to call it totaled ;)
Sponsored

rodmacpherson

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Security Architect (IT/Infosec)
Country flag
Nothing in that truck will be cheap to replace. I think Tesla designs everything primarily to reduce complexity in manufacturing. They design based on the assumption that all owners will have full coverage for the length of ownership. The problem with that philosophy is that as every little problem end up having an expensive solution (replacing the entire assembly instead of replacing the problem part), insurance companies will wise up and increase the cost of coverage. If you have a 6 year old CT and your break light goes out, be prepared for your insurance company to call it totaled ;)
What insurance company covers dead brake lights?

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Get ready for resin glue dots.

Also fighting Tesla regarding part availability due to manufacture demands.

Brake lights appear will be LED. All the money saved over bulb burnouts will afford a replacement.
For the guy who rear ended you, any claim sucks.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
I think it's safe to say that very few of us read Chinese here, and I don't think it's unreasonable to ask that you post in English, on a forum geared towards a truck that currently has no plans of being released in China.
its likely Mandarin

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
That may be that it will be expensive to repair. But except for accidental damage and interior wear the rest will last a while.

It's funny considering that EM said that one of the main reasons EV's couldn't originally compete with ICE was because of the dealership model where dealerships made more money from repairs and maintenance than from car sales, because manufacturers would discount them to get future repairs sales instead.

But I think we might get lower than expected costs if they get their manufacturering sorted.

CYBER PARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Benz,CT
Country flag
+ safety, - Complexity, + entertainment, - cost

bruce91748

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Now-M3 RWD, Taycan CT4 Past-MS90D,BMW i3,Polestar2
Country flag
I heard from a credible source that I'll get mine on December 24th midnight. Parked on the driveway and not down the chimney. Thanks in advance Santa...

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
All of these are new technology, so yes, they might delay. But...

The 4680 has a much smaller manufacture footprint. This is important! They literally did not have enough factory footprint planned to make enough 2170s for the Cybertruck. The new, larger cell is much simpler to produce, even though it requires a 5x higher tolerance for error than the 2170. They're operating at the maximum speed-per-cell with current production methods: Making the cells bigger means they don't have to make as many cells per Cybertruck.

The exoskeleton is more similar to what Tesla has done in the past: It's just a modification of the unibody construction they already use. The folding is new technology, yes, but it's also some of the oldest and easiest thing for robots to do. (There's less springyness to deal with than for stamping)

The 4-wheel steering might have delayed things in the past, but Tesla's ability to reprogram things on the fly means that they'll be able to tune things after they've been shipped. And they already make turning wheels in the front!

The structural battery pack again is new technology and yet... It's actually simpler to put together than their current packs. It eliminates entire assembly layers. And bonding cells into place is again, old standard technology.

The cast rear section... Well, they're doing that on the Y already. They should know how long putting the machine together and how difficult it will be to cast such a large object.

Honestly, all of these things could be things that make the Cybertruck quicker to production, even though they're in some ways novel.

-Crissa

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Tesla did not just start working on how to produce this stuff at scale today.

Pretty sure Tesla was working on 4680 cells, exoskeleton construct, and structural battery pack before Cybertruck Nov 2019 reveal (almost two years ago).

Tesla bought Maxwell in Feb 2019 which is basis for 4680 dry electrodes.

4 wheel steer was done in pickup truck almost 20 years ago and has been used in many SUVs in last 20 years. There are several long established suppliers for 4 wheel steer systems for trucks.

Elon dropped news to us customers of 4 wheel steer a couple of weeks ago but they probably have been working on it for over a year.

Elon's other company SpaceX has many years of experience with stainless steel.

Sure there might be some delays but it will not be because Tesla just thought of this stuff in last year.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Tesla bought Maxwell in Feb 2019 which is basis for 4680 dry electrodes.
And the 4680 is predicated on the tabless design, not the dry electrode. So they're rolling three novel things into one to boost their battery cell production.

They were topped out at the unit speed of 2170 cell production. They needed more watt-hours. They had shrunk the facilities as much as they could, so they figured out how to make bigger cells. Bigger cells means more watt-hours per unit.

The dry-electrode means smaller factory footprint. Which means more factories in the same space.

All of these are needed for the big battery packs that Cybertruck and Semi need. Even before you get into the crazy towing some of you want to do ^-^

-Crissa
Sponsored