Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
It's more than range, though. The charging rate of the 4680 is on par (or better?) than the 2170, the lifespan of the 4680 should exceed the 2170, and the rigidity of the structural battery will offer greater experience (ride and accident protection) [just to name a few]. For me, that's why I would wait.
Every year there is a better battery next year.

-Crissa
Sponsored

swengl

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model Y
Country flag
Every year there is a better battery next year.

-Crissa
True, but very few of those "miracle" batteries ever make it to market. The 4680 is going to happen and I hope it is a game-changer.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
True, but very few of those "miracle" batteries ever make it to market. The 4680 is going to happen and I hope it is a game-changer.
That's true.

But every year better batteries come out.

https://insideevs.com/news/539398/farasis-batteries-energy-density-boost/

The packs in my bike are 2.8. The packs in the current bikes are 3.6. This will bring them to ~4.5. And Tesla is doing this, too. Every development eeks its way into the next battery pack, making it bigger, charge better, cool better, etc.

-Crissa

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
That's true.

But every year better batteries come out.

https://insideevs.com/news/539398/farasis-batteries-energy-density-boost/

The packs in my bike are 2.8. The packs in the current bikes are 3.6. This will bring them to ~4.5. And Tesla is doing this, too. Every development eeks its way into the next battery pack, making it bigger, charge better, cool better, etc.

-Crissa
we should start a thread/sub forum to discuss eBikes. I’m interested and need to know more about them

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Just bought a new iPhone 13, it’s better than the iPhone XS I replaced in every way.

If you are buying into technology, you are buying into the paradigm where the current generation is going to be surpassed quickly. The fact that battery tech is improving so much, so quickly is why we can be assured that in 5 years the road is going to be completely dominated by EVs.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
[David Attenborough] Otherwise known as the "greater" and "lesser" Model Ys.

Habitat range for the lesser will be mostly contained to Northern California, while the greater is likely to be found in all 50 states, with concentrations in Texas.

Subspecies can be identified by a lack of asymmetric panel gaps on the greater, with a definite higher occurrence of road noise while observing the lesser as it travels past you. Best watching for enthusiasts should occur on highway overpasses with a good view in both directions.
[/David Attenborough]
[ Morgan Freeman ] I'll wait for my CT.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
I would... it would bother me, I would try to get the 4680s if I could, but if I really needed a car, then of course, I'd still get the 2170 Y.

We don't really know all the benefits but we do know it will most likely have better thermal characteristics which may mean longer life, faster charging. It will also contribute less mass to the overall vehicle for a given amount of energy (not the most eloquent way to describe it I know). Combined with front and rear castings we're looking at how much weight savings? A couple of hundred pounds? Aside from that, the higher cycle life, and faster charge times are the really interesting enhancements.

If I was able to wait, I would definitely wait for the 4680 Model Y, but that's just me.
It’s also a new tech that is likely to experience growing pains so there is that to consider

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
I expect Cybertruck production to look very much like Model 3/Y production. 15-20k in the first quarter of production, 35-40k second quarter, etc until they get up to the full 60-70k production rate sometime around a year after production start. Sounds like production starts “2022”. Likely deep in Q4 of 2022, but maybe sooner.

Musk said at the shareholder meeting that 4680 cell production should reach “high level production” in Texas during 2022. Which is the big key missing.
the big CT key is also the gigapress.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
It's more than range, though. The charging rate of the 4680 is on par (or better?) than the 2170, the lifespan of the 4680 should exceed the 2170, and the rigidity of the structural battery will offer greater experience (ride and accident protection) [just to name a few]. For me, that's why I would wait.
I drive 70km a week and can charge at home ( like most people) and at work. Charge rate and rigidity mean very little to me, and the lifespan will exceed my needs as you can tell. I only need the range due to where I live, for semi annual trips. 4680 is nice for me from an early adopter perspective, but the 2170 will do if I get my range.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
the big CT key is also the gigapress.
Indeed. It just felt for a bit there they were struggling with the 4680 and it seems like getting enough capacity to product those cells is going to take more time than the Gigapress.

4680 is nice for me from an early adopter perspective, but the 2170 will do if I get my range.
The Cybertruck needs the structural battery pack, it’s more or less the foundational component of the truck. Without the 4680 cells, they can’t make the structural pack. So no 4680, no Cybertruck.
Sponsored