Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired USAF, Emergency Manager
Country flag
This is so stupid. I have been able to explain away most of the other disappointments but I can't think of any good reason FS CT is not shipping with the best performing processor in their arsenal. It seems petty but this might be the final straw for me. Looks like someone will get their FSCB a little sooner since right now I think I will let Tesla eat my $1000 deposit and, in 2 years, either buy a used FSCB for $60K or CBv2 if Tesla makes improvements.
I feel ya', Luke. When I heard that the Cybertruck will be the first Tesla to debut with Hardware 4 computer and 48-volt architecture, I really thought playing Steam would be no issues. Then, when Elon stated that the Cybertruck will be a "technology bandwagon", that sealed the deal as far as if it will be able to play Steam games... There was no doubt in my mind, especially how Elon himself plays Steam games.
It really sucks if we have to dough up another couple Gs to make this happen.
Very very unfortunate... (n)😞
Sponsored

Cybertruck2024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning and Model 3
Country flag
The truth is that CT R&D cost a lot of money, Tesla needs to make that money back and has to cut corners someplace to do it. I assume they looked at Stram usage percentage on other vehicles and figured this was a good way to save a few bucks, with not too much impact.

One of the pros of Tesla is the vehicle is the vehicle, there aren't options galore and it simplifies manufacturing. The downside is if you have money to spend, you can't get what you want, like having an option to add Steam for $2k.

Porsche is amazing for available options if you have unlimited funds, can genuinely make a one of a kind personalized vehicle. The downside to this is you're spending $50k over MSRP, so be careful what you wish for.

Wraven

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Foundations CyberBeast, M3P, MYP
Country flag
While this is a niche offering, targeting a niche demographic, this is this trappings of being a “technology company” and not a car manufacturer.

Imagine your brand new flagship smartphone isn’t capable of running apps an older model of smartphone could. It’s just not the way the niche demographic has seen or would expect based on many other “technology company” examples and variables.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Personally, I don’t care about Steam so this in particular doesn’t matter to me.

But on their newest vehicle? How could it even be possible? They would ship a brand new flagship vehicle/product with pitiful ram capacity? I just can’t understand it. It seems like it can’t happen. We are all used to buying a product and having it under performed shortly after due to The software out powering the hardware, but this just seems ridiculous.
It's not pitiful if it's not needed. And evidently it's not needed.

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag

swinefeaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Awd
Country flag
What about the car racing game? I don't see that in my ct I got yesterday. And that game you can play on a m3, and it has cybertruck in it now!

Kuiper__Belt

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck - Cyberbeast
Occupation
Telehealth Solutions Architect
Country flag
The three things I wanted the most for the cybertruck were 1. range 2. Six seats and 3. Steam Support for gaming

After 1 and 2 hurting my feelings now this?

Has tesla ever mentioned Steam would be available on CT or we all just assumed? I am afraid only the foundation series won’t get it, and that they will add it later on :/

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-cybertruck-steam-integration-dicey-hacker-says/amp/

The Tesla Cybertruck’s Steam integration, which would allow owners to play numerous games in the vehicle, is a little bit of a dicey situation currently, according to a notable hacker.

Tesla hacker “Green” posted several updates yesterday regarding the Cybertruck and its ability to support Steam, a gaming distribution service that has been integrated into other vehicles in the company’s lineup.

It helps bring the most well-rounded and complete gaming experience to Tesla vehicles.

However, while the Cybertruck does have Steam in its firmware, it appears the vehicle is not quite able to support it due to a RAM package that is lower than what the gaming platform requires.

“While Steam support is part of the firmware, same as S/X, it’s not showing up for anybody with CT because today the car computer is roughly [the] same spec as modern 3/y and original S/X refresh: only 8G RAM, 128G storage,” Green said in a Tweet.

“Unless the requirements for Steam get less strict in the future (currently requires 16G RAM), CT owners might need to replace/upgrade their car computers to get steam similarly to how early plaid car users need to do it today (and I think it’s not free either).”

To make a long story short, Cybertruck’s current car computer is not capable of operating Steam because its operating system is not rated to handle what the platform requires.

This means that Tesla Cybertruck owners will have to upgrade their systems if they do want to run Steam in the vehicle, but it is unclear why the automaker chose to run a less-than-capable system in the vehicle in the first place.

Green clarified in the later Tweet that Cybertruck does have Steam integration, but “you just cannot currently enable it because current policy prohibits it.”

Tesla fans and owners who replied to Green’s findings seemed disappointed, of course, noting that the Model 3, Y, and Cybertruck “seem unnecessarily nerfed.”

Another person said that some things Tesla does are “borderline scams.”

Obviously, it is somewhat of a disappointment for many people, but it does not seem like this saga is over. Considering there are some things that could happen that could enable Steam compatibility, there is a chance for Cybertruck to be perhaps the coolest gaming rig on the market.
I'm a gamer nerd and I don't see myself playing steam games in my CT regularly (more of a "look at what my car can do" flex) unless they make it usable when FSD is active. If that's the case I'd use it on any drive over an hour!

However, as a tech nerd it is very frustrating that we are all spending $100k+ and they aren't using the highest end computer hardware (or better) that they are using in other current models... If anything I would say CT buyers are the biggest tech nerds in the Tesla family. I mean come on I'm spending $120k on this truck b/c it looks like a PS1 version of a DeLorean, Warthog, Cyberpunk, 1990's Lego, stealth jet, chimera that is really really really quick! 😂

I never thought I'd own an electric vehicle and I have had one truck before (a Ford Sport Trac, which at the time was very different than any other truck and all my Mississippi country bumkins classmates with lifted super swamper Chevys and F150s picked on me 🤣). That was my first vehicle back in high school 20+ years ago and my mom picked it out. Then fast forward 20 years and I'm watching the unveiling live stream and I say to my wife this is definitely a joke their about to roll that off the stage and show us the real thing..... Nope... and once they said preorders are live I told her to hold my beer I'm getting my credit card!!!!

swinefeaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Awd
Country flag
I'm still crossing my fingers hoping that they are waiting to roll out a new update that shrinks the requirements for steam, at least for some of the simpler games. It would also be really embarrassing if the buggy racing game never made it to the CT.
Sponsored