Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
. Does it make sense to you that $40,000 worth of upgrades doesn’t include a few hundred dollar GPU?

there are many things that are listed that Tesla doesn’t provide for example our 2021 model S plaid and our 2021 model X plaid both said they would have tilting screens. It’s literally on my order form. Guess what none of them came with it even though they were “listed “
What other vehicles is it available? I'm guessing definitely a Bentley?
Sponsored

SlegMD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus
Occupation
Physical therapy
Country flag
I want to say ‘who gives a flying eff’ about this whole thread, who has time to play games, but I guess it’s weird mutation of human that needs this, so i guess to each it’s own.

DrShah

First Name
Samir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR
Occupation
Surgeon
Country flag
When Elon says “we poured our hearts and souls into this truck”

& “this will be Tesla’s greatest product thus far”

you expect it would have features that are standard on their model S which is priced at nearly half the cost!
Exactly!

rudedawg78

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired USAF, Emergency Manager
Country flag
A "technology bandwagon" when I can't even play my Steam games?

Tesla Cybertruck Rumor: No Steam gaming capability for Cybertruck currently 1709251042446

DrShah

First Name
Samir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR
Occupation
Surgeon
Country flag
I want to say ‘who gives a flying eff’ about this whole thread, who has time to play games, but I guess it’s weird mutation of human that needs this, so i guess to each it’s own.
I want it, delays at work … I’d totally use this waiting in between surgeries and kill time with some games.

Robesaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Dodge Ram
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
The three things I wanted the most for the cybertruck were 1. range 2. Six seats and 3. Steam Support for gaming

After 1 and 2 hurting my feelings now this?

Has tesla ever mentioned Steam would be available on CT or we all just assumed? I am afraid only the foundation series won’t get it, and that they will add it later on :/

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-cybertruck-steam-integration-dicey-hacker-says/amp/

The Tesla Cybertruck’s Steam integration, which would allow owners to play numerous games in the vehicle, is a little bit of a dicey situation currently, according to a notable hacker.

Tesla hacker “Green” posted several updates yesterday regarding the Cybertruck and its ability to support Steam, a gaming distribution service that has been integrated into other vehicles in the company’s lineup.

It helps bring the most well-rounded and complete gaming experience to Tesla vehicles.

However, while the Cybertruck does have Steam in its firmware, it appears the vehicle is not quite able to support it due to a RAM package that is lower than what the gaming platform requires.

“While Steam support is part of the firmware, same as S/X, it’s not showing up for anybody with CT because today the car computer is roughly [the] same spec as modern 3/y and original S/X refresh: only 8G RAM, 128G storage,” Green said in a Tweet.

“Unless the requirements for Steam get less strict in the future (currently requires 16G RAM), CT owners might need to replace/upgrade their car computers to get steam similarly to how early plaid car users need to do it today (and I think it’s not free either).”

To make a long story short, Cybertruck’s current car computer is not capable of operating Steam because its operating system is not rated to handle what the platform requires.

This means that Tesla Cybertruck owners will have to upgrade their systems if they do want to run Steam in the vehicle, but it is unclear why the automaker chose to run a less-than-capable system in the vehicle in the first place.

Green clarified in the later Tweet that Cybertruck does have Steam integration, but “you just cannot currently enable it because current policy prohibits it.”

Tesla fans and owners who replied to Green’s findings seemed disappointed, of course, noting that the Model 3, Y, and Cybertruck “seem unnecessarily nerfed.”

Another person said that some things Tesla does are “borderline scams.”

Obviously, it is somewhat of a disappointment for many people, but it does not seem like this saga is over. Considering there are some things that could happen that could enable Steam compatibility, there is a chance for Cybertruck to be perhaps the coolest gaming rig on the market.
Personally, I don’t care about Steam so this in particular doesn’t matter to me.

But on their newest vehicle? How could it even be possible? They would ship a brand new flagship vehicle/product with pitiful ram capacity? I just can’t understand it. It seems like it can’t happen. We are all used to buying a product and having it under performed shortly after due to The software out powering the hardware, but this just seems ridiculous.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I want it, delays at work … I’d totally use this waiting in between surgeries and kill time with some games.
If you would stop killing it playing to many computer games, you wouldn't need so many surgeries for car-pal tunnel. 🤪

Robesaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Dodge Ram
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
No interest in games. But. If it can’t run games out of the box, what other software hangups or performance issues are we going to see as they develop the software?

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1 Million Miles on ICE Toyotas, Waiting for CT
I thought Cyberpunk was just a steam game, so when I saw this post I assumed we would have Steam on the Cybertruck:
1709226035694.png

I am hoping Steam will eventually come to the CT without having to upgrade the computer.
Cyberpunk will require a ram upgrade at a minimum, which currently doesn't look feasible :(

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
If it's only ram I do not see why it cannot be added/upgraded on the onboard computer for little to nothing.

Update: Tesla can upgrade the ram to 16gb for ~$2k. 😳
I don't know if its that easy, the RAM might be soldered to the mainboard because of vibration issues with a socket setup.

I also don't know if it has video inputs for the screens, I doubt it, the screen inputs would need to be intercepted.

Also if it doesn’t have a decent or compatible GPU setup it might not run steam at all anyway. I'm not sure if Tesla might be using there own AI chips for FSD instead of Nvidia. I'm both impressed and surprised FSD can process so many cameras and run FSD with just 8GB RAM.

Then theres the problem of onboard storage. 128GB doesn’t even run my phone anymore, some games are absolutely huge and wouldn’t fit at all.

Although I think it would be nice to be able to play games whilst stuck at a Supercharger using existing onboard hardware, I'm not sure the hardware would age well with games. If they did put a decent setup in there then they should allow it to stream to your house or tablet at least to play. Then the extra cost would be better utilised.

Amuma

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
I don't know if its that easy, the RAM might be soldered to the mainboard because of vibration issues with a socket setup.

I also don't know if it has video inputs for the screens, I doubt it, the screen inputs would need to be intercepted.

Also if it doesn’t have a decent or compatible GPU setup it might not run steam at all anyway. I'm not sure if Tesla might be using there own AI chips for FSD instead of Nvidia. I'm both impressed and surprised FSD can process so many cameras and run FSD with just 8GB RAM.

Then theres the problem of onboard storage. 128GB doesn’t even run my phone anymore, some games are absolutely huge and wouldn’t fit at all.

Although I think it would be nice to be able to play games whilst stuck at a Supercharger using existing onboard hardware, I'm not sure the hardware would age well with games. If they did put a decent setup in there then they should allow it to stream to your house or tablet at least to play. Then the extra cost would be better utilised.
Yeah found out they have to replace the entire computer. Crazy this is the method they chose.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Yeah found out they have to replace the entire computer. Crazy this is the method they chose.
Not much of a choice. In a moving vehicle with potentially severe vibrations from corrugated roads, you can't have your RAM modules jumping out of their sockets. Simply not designed for it, plus costs more than plonking a RAM chip directly on the mainboard next to the CPU.

Remember all of the vehicle ADAS and safety, like emergency braking etc, as well as controls and switching is done via the mainscreen and mainboard, so not having vibration proof RAM is not an option. Upgrading the whole or main parts of the system makes more sense in a vehicle.

flowerlandfilms

First Name
Eryk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yamaha SRV-250, Honda Odyssey RB1
Occupation
Film Maker
Country flag
There were always going to be rolling upgrades that benefitted later buyers, like with every other Tesla.
Maybe this is one of them.
There are always some downsides to being an early adopter.

TickTock

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3; 2018 Model S; 2023 F-150 LIghtning
Country flag
This is so stupid. I have been able to explain away most of the other disappointments but I can't think of any good reason FS CT is not shipping with the best performing processor in their arsenal. It seems petty but this might be the final straw for me. Looks like someone will get their FSCB a little sooner since right now I think I will let Tesla eat my $1000 deposit and, in 2 years, either buy a used FSCB for $60K or CBv2 if Tesla makes improvements.
Sponsored